Baker McKenzie question

GD1995

Feb 28, 2018
Hi guys! I'm working on my Baker McKenzie app and they have this question

Baker McKenzie place great value on Diversity and Inclusion. Please outline how you would apply the principles of diversity and inclusion in your role, drawing on any initiatives that you may have been involved in. (250 words max)

Does anyone have any idea how you go about answering this question? What sort of things are they looking for? Is it diversity in terms of your own background and how you can add that to the role?

Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Reactions: Sophie Bell

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Make it personal. Dig deep - think about what diversity and inclusion is and what it means to you. It's a very subjective question.

I remember someone posting a link before discussing the importance of diversity in the workplace - that may be helpful if we can find it.

Edit: Food for thought - https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/suppo...nd-inclusion-in-law-firms--the-business-case/.

I'd pick a couple of personal examples where you embraced D&I and then think about how can apply the principles at work.

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: kitk, AJ and Hazal

CF

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    I have just come across this article which may be of some use as well! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EtDcbS8aTlsAck5bUpkmabLfova3pSHD/view

Essentially, to echo what Jaysen has said, you are stating your interest/why diversity is important to you and then how this would be applied in practice in a professional environment.

For example, through my involvement within BAME in the City at King’s College London and now the Women’s Network with University of Law, I have increased my understanding of the importance that ensuring fairness and increasing opportunities can provide for underrepresented groups. This can be applied in practise... (examples: through creating diversity-friendly policies, greater awareness for cultural diversity through talks/creation of networks ect.)

• 🏆
    Reactions: kitk, Jai C. and Jaysen

kitk

Star Member
    Commercial Writer
    Jun 1, 2018
    After setting out the principles of D&I, I adopted an approach which is similar to what CF mentioned above (although I concentrated more on continuing/ furthering/ deepening Baker McKenzie's initiatives, rather than creating new ones, since the firm already has lots of D&I initiatives going on).

Reactions: CF and Jaysen

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Bit late to the party. In years gone by I've applied and interviewed
    Think about how international Bakers are and how many offices they have. They want to be known as one of major players globally. What are some of the things you'll be asked to do as a trainee or solicitor. Most of what you'll do will be working in (global) teams.

I wouldn't interpret the questions in a narrow way to talk about pro bono and CSR stuff. When have you worked in diverse teams. Perhaps university presentations or university societies. Draw out the skills and experience from there. Have you had to consider different view points and ways in which they're made. In the event you've worked across different time zones/working patterns/colleagues/offices with religious holiday intervening what did you do, how did it work. But I wouldn't stress this last paragraph in your applications too much to go away from the main aspect of the question.

Reactions: Helena

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.