Hogan Lovells VS questions - please advise

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hi

Hogan Lovells Summer VS 2024 (Vantage) application has the following sections :

1. Unlimited boxes for work experience
2. We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people's expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments? Max 250 words
3. Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit. Max 250 words
4. Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector Max 250 words
5. Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application.Optional Max 250 words

I have already done sections 1,2,3 & 4 above. For section 5 (further information....), my options are : a) Combo of Why commercial law/why Hogan Lovells , b) Exclusively Why
Hogan Lovells, c ) Only Extra curriculars, Or d) Combo of why HL+Extra curriculars

The reason I am confused is "Why HL" is NOT one of their main questions (2,3 & 4 above), so is it ok to put this in 5 or are they NOT asking that question and expecting extra curriculars in 5
since it is positioned as "further information" (in which case why HL will go unanswered !).

Please advise
Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don’t think there is one approach to the answer for question 5. Although a lot of people do cover why HL in in, I don’t think it is necessary. And I think that really depends on your other interactions with the firm. For some people they may have evidence of their pursuit of HL through the events section. Others may have work experience that clearly aligns with the firm’s work.

What I would stress though is for the firm not to ask the question, it clearly isn’t a priority for them at this stage - it’s probably something they will asses more heavily if you get through to the next stage.

I would recommend focusing on what you think is really missing/what you would prioritise in this section based on your profile. If that is why the firm, then go for it, but if there is something else you would prefer to highlight because it’s more important to you, then focus on that.

Reactions: BuddingLawyer

Lola333

Star Member
Aug 27, 2023
For the Watson Glaser test, does it come through as an automated email or do grad rec send it once you have submitted your application? I've received an email saying my application has been submitted, but heard nothing about the WG.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.