lawqueen

Aug 22, 2018
Hi everyone!

I have secured a training contract at Bristows (2023 start) and wanted to share my story and interview questions, in the hope that it helps future applicants!

My application story:
- I applied originally in 2020, passed the video interview, did one interview with a partner and senior associate + GDPR written exercise, progressed to the final interview with two partners + [redacted] written exercise. Ultimately rejected with very positive feedback.
- Reapplied in 2021 (through regular application form), did the video interview, after not hearing back for ages I emailed HR and got fast-tracked to the final round of partner interviews (due to previous application) + [redacted] written exercise. I was then rejected at first, but *miraculously* received a call 3 weeks later offering me the TC (someone had dropped out).

So in total, I did 2 video interviews (2020 & 2021) and 3 Teams interviews (2 in 2020, and 1 in 2021), and 3 written exercises (2 in 2020, 1 in 2021).
I don't remember all the questions from all of these, but here's what I wrote down/ remember.

Video Interview 2020
3 questions, 60 secs to answer each.
- Consider your motivations
- Have a very good understanding of the firm
- Practise competency questions

Video Interview 2021
3 questions, 15 secs prep time, 60 secs to respond to Q1 and Q2 / 90 secs for Q3.
- See above

Interview 1 (July 2020)
Partner and Senior Associate, 60 minutes, Teams

• Tell me why you came to study law in London at X University?
  • Why do you want to be a lawyer?
  • Why do you want to be a solicitor and not a barrister?
  • Why do you want to work for Bristows?
  • How do you manage conflict/ when you disagree with someone?
  • If you're at a Barbeque what would you say to a friend that makes Bristows different from its competitors? Anything distinguishing about its culture?
  • Explain to your great grandmother who knows nothing about the internet, what the internet is. Use an analogy.
  • You have unlimited resources for 24 hours, where would go/ what would you do?
  • If opposing counsel left a confidential document in the bin after a meeting and you saw this, what do you do?
  • If a team member told you to read something over for typos and email it to a client, and you find some non-minor content errors in it, what do you do? (team member has already left the office, not reachable by phone, there's no one else in the office)
  • Do you think big tech should play a bigger role in the policing of online content?
  • Tell me about a recent development in IT law / data protection law
  • Tell me about a recent development in AI regulation
  • You're a professor at a University with a promising cancer research project which has already shown some result. Your Uni will no longer give you money. How do you get funding
Interview 2 (August 2020)
2 partners, 60 minutes, Teams
  • Why did you choose X degree at X University?
  • Why law?
  • Why Bristows?
  • What skills will you need to be a good solicitor?
  • What is Data Protection?
  • discussion of the [redacted] problem exercise
  • If you couldn't become a lawyer what would you do?
Interview 3 (March 2021)
This was a more informal and free-flowing conversation, they didn't really repeat any questions they had asked me in previous interviews.
  • Introduce yourself
  • Tell us about X module you studied at University
  • Explain your research essay from X module
  • Tell us about your current job
  • What will you do until you start your LPC/TC (gap year between University and LPC start)
  • I was shown a picture with two very similar bottles of shampoo. One is by Herbal Essences, and the other is a dupe from Boots (they had a similar shape, colour palette, similar logo and names). The client (Herbal Essence) comes to you, furious over the dupe's existence. What is your reaction, how do you respond/advise the client? What steps would you take? Why might taking it to court not be advisable? (hint: since Herbal Essence relies on a good working relationship with Boots to sell their products - suing them is probably not the best option, try to find an amicable solution instead).
  • Summarise the govt's response to the Pandemic in 3 minutes.
  • What would your top 3 seats be at Bristows?
  • What do you do in your leisure time?

Written Exercise 1 July 2020

Read 4 articles about the GDPR, and write an email advising a client. 50 minutes.

Written Exercise 2 August 2020

Read an excerpt from [redacted], and answer ten questions (short answers). 60 minutes.

Written Exercise March 2021

Since I was fast-tracked to the final round of interviews in 2021, I do not know what written exercise was used in the first round. Also, it seemed they had created a new bespoke written exercise for me, as I had already done the GDPR and [redacted] the year before - other applicants may not get this exercise.

Read excerpts from [redacted] and an email from a colleague concerning how a client product is affected by the [redacted]. Draft a response to the colleague AND an email to the [redacted], asking to confirm your interpretation or clarify any issues.

That's it!! Good luck to anyone reading this, prepping for an interview!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 🏆
Reactions: avantika_s and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi everyone!

I have secured a training contract at Bristows (2023 start) and wanted to share my story and interview questions, in the hope that it helps future applicants!

My application story:
    - I applied originally in 2020, passed the video interview, did one interview with a partner and senior associate + GDPR written exercise, progressed to the final interview with two partners + [redacted] written exercise. Ultimately rejected with very positive feedback.
    - Reapplied in 2021 (through regular application form), did the video interview, after not hearing back for ages I emailed HR and got fast-tracked to the final round of partner interviews (due to previous application) + [redacted] written exercise. I was then rejected at first, but *miraculously* received a call 3 weeks later offering me the TC (someone had dropped out).

So in total, I did 2 video interviews (2020 & 2021) and 3 Teams interviews (2 in 2020, and 1 in 2021), and 3 written exercises (2 in 2020, 1 in 2021).
    I don't remember all the questions from all of these, but here's what I wrote down/ remember.

Video Interview 2020

Video Interview 2021
    3 questions, 15 secs prep time, 60 secs to respond to Q1 and Q2 / 90 secs for Q3.
    - See above

Interview 1 (July 2020)

• If you're at a Barbeque what would you say to a friend that makes Bristows different from its competitors? Anything distinguishing about its culture?
    • Explain to your great grandmother who knows nothing about the internet, what the internet is. Use an analogy.
    • If opposing counsel left a confidential document in the bin after a meeting and you saw this, what do you do?
    • If a team member told you to read something over for typos and email it to a client, and you find some non-minor content errors in it, what do you do? (team member has already left the office, not reachable by phone, there's no one else in the office)
    • Do you think big tech should play a bigger role in the policing of online content?
    • You're a professor at a University with a promising cancer research project which has already shown some result. Your Uni will no longer give you money. How do you get funding
    • Why law?
    • Why Bristows?
    Interview 3 (March 2021)
    This was a more informal and free-flowing conversation, they didn't really repeat any questions they had asked me in previous interviews.
    • Introduce yourself
    • What will you do until you start your LPC/TC (gap year between University and LPC start)
    • I was shown a picture with two very similar bottles of shampoo. One is by Herbal Essences, and the other is a dupe from Boots (they had a similar shape, colour palette, similar logo and names). The client (Herbal Essence) comes to you, furious over the dupe's existence. What is your reaction, how do you respond/advise the client? What steps would you take? Why might taking it to court not be advisable? (hint: since Herbal Essence relies on a good working relationship with Boots to sell their products - suing them is probably not the best option, try to find an amicable solution instead).

Read 4 articles about the GDPR, and write an email advising a client. 50 minutes.

Read an excerpt from [redacted], and answer ten questions (short answers). 60 minutes.

Since I was fast-tracked to the final round of interviews in 2021, I do not know what written exercise was used in the first round. Also, it seemed they had created a new bespoke written exercise for me, as I had already done the GDPR and [redacted] the year before - other applicants may not get this exercise.

Read excerpts from [redacted] and an email from a colleague concerning how a client product is affected by the [redacted]. Draft a response to the colleague AND an email to the [redacted], asking to confirm your interpretation or clarify any issues.

Huge congrats! You'll have to change that username now :)

• Haha
    Reactions: Alison C

Opmtn

Feb 13, 2023
    Hi everyone!

My application story:

Video Interview 2020

Video Interview 2021
    - See above

Interview 1 (July 2020)

• Why law?
    • Why Bristows?
    Interview 3 (March 2021)
    • Introduce yourself

Hey, congrats! What did they say in the feedback after the first go?

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Hi, sorry for bumping this thread. Just wondered, I have noticed that there are only 10 TCs available each year (if the figure on Legal Cheek is accurate). I hadn't thought about how competitive Bristows must be before and almost all the trainees on LinkedIn have masters or are STEM students. I am a law student and I do wonder if the odds are against me here.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.