British American Tobacco Video Interview

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

I have a video interview with British American Tobacco (BAT) for the position of a legal intern in their London office. Has anyone completed a BAT VI? I would be grateful if you have any advice. The only information I have is that the interview consists of a series of questions based on BAT’s guiding principles. The aim is to gain a deeper understanding of my background, experiences and motivations.

Thank you!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi guys,

I have a video interview with British American Tobacco (BAT) for the position of a legal intern in their London office. Has anyone completed a BAT VI? I would be grateful if you have any advice. The only information I have is that the interview consists of a series of questions based on BAT’s guiding principles. The aim is to gain a deeper understanding of my background, experiences and motivations.

Thank you!
    Hi,

I've not done an interview with BAT specifically, but I think there are certain key areas to cover in your prep that you should be prepared to answer on/ things that I would probably try and push you on if I were interviewing you.

In re your prep, I would take a deep dive on BAT as a group: look at its brand, industry success, where it is in front of competitors and also where it lags behind them - then consider the commercial and legal repercussions of all these different factors.
    If I were you, I'd also be prepared to answer some questions in re the morality of what BAT do - is providing tobacco moral, should it be taxed more or less, should it be allowed to advertise, should people be allowed to smoke etc etc: these are all considerations which massively affect their work as every regulatory change in re smoking will affect their business, usually for the worse. It's really important that you can understand and display your understanding of the delicacy of BAT's position in the world in re what they do and the products they make. I would also consider, from a business perspective, what are potential avenues they could go down? The rise in vaping presents a major business opportunity which they may/ may not have already tapped into, for example.

By the sounds of it, this is likely to give you some excess material but when you're going blind into an interview I would always say that it's beter to prep material you don't need than to need material you didn't prep.

Hopefully some of this helps!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: gricole

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Hi,

I've not done an interview with BAT specifically, but I think there are certain key areas to cover in your prep that you should be prepared to answer on/ things that I would probably try and push you on if I were interviewing you.

In re your prep, I would take a deep dive on BAT as a group: look at its brand, industry success, where it is in front of competitors and also where it lags behind them - then consider the commercial and legal repercussions of all these different factors.
    If I were you, I'd also be prepared to answer some questions in re the morality of what BAT do - is providing tobacco moral, should it be taxed more or less, should it be allowed to advertise, should people be allowed to smoke etc etc: these are all considerations which massively affect their work as every regulatory change in re smoking will affect their business, usually for the worse. It's really important that you can understand and display your understanding of the delicacy of BAT's position in the world in re what they do and the products they make. I would also consider, from a business perspective, what are potential avenues they could go down? The rise in vaping presents a major business opportunity which they may/ may not have already tapped into, for example.

By the sounds of it, this is likely to give you some excess material but when you're going blind into an interview I would always say that it's beter to prep material you don't need than to need material you didn't prep.

Hopefully some of this helps!
    Thank you very much Jacob! This is very useful. I had already started thinking about the ethical side of working for BAT and answering questions about it. I will definitely use your points to further prepare for the interview! Thanks!

user254

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2020
    I have just completed this interview :D Just a heads up if you haven't completed it already that they give you 30 seconds to prepare and 4 minutes to answer each question!

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    I have just completed this interview :D Just a heads up if you haven't completed it already that they give you 30 seconds to prepare and 4 minutes to answer each question!

I am yet to complete it tomorrow! Wow 4 minutes is crazy! Were there questions focusing on the ethical point re working for BAT?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.