Career changer - self-funding the SQE?

J.001

Jan 3, 2022
Good afternoon all!

I was hoping to get some perspectives and advice on my specific personal circumstances. I am an LLB graduate (2017) who previously worked in Paralegal roles before switching careers in 2019 to a Fast-track Detective programme. I am now looking to reenter the legal sector and secure a training contract.

I have been researching self-funding the LPC or SQE. I am apprehensive about self-funding the LPC due to the phased transition to the SQE anticipated over the next few years. I am keen to show my dedication to a career in law and believe self-funding an SQE course may be one way to achieve this. I have sufficient savings to fund the costs independently. I also think it would be beneficial to study alongside others with the same aims and objectives as myself.
  • What would be the benefits/drawbacks of self-funding the SQE for someone in my position looking to secure a TC?
  • Are there any other recommended routes into the profession based on my background?
Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Studying College Life GIF

Thanks,

J

Ahi88

Future Trainee
  • Feb 29, 2020
    Hi there :)

Firstly, your background is very interesting and will definitely be an asset now that you are looking to re-enter the legal sector and ultimately pursue a training contract. I personally think it provides you with unique experiences to draw from in your application answers and definitely makes you stand out. The thing for you to focus on now is to demonstrate to employers your commitment towards re-entering the legal career, reasons why you have made this decision now and (potentially) how your current role has contributed towards this decision.

I am assuming that you are currently in employment as a detective so pursuing the LPC/SQE would mean that you would no longer work and focus instead on studying? If so, I understand that this will be a very big decision to make!

Demonstrating a commitment to a legal career can however be shown in many ways beyond self-funding the LPC/SQE. As you have completed your LLB a few years ago with a few years of paralegal experiences, I would focus on applying to vacation schemes, attending law firm open evenings or panel discussions and networking events (restrictions permitting!). The reason I say this is because self-funding the LPC/SQE is a big commitment due to how expensive these courses are. Most TC applicants opt for the safer option to gain more experience whilst also applying for vacation schemes / training contracts so that their prospective firms can help them with funding. Having said this, it is also common for applicants to self fund these courses but this will all be dependant on your personal circumstances.

It's also worth noting that if you undertook the LPC, this would remain a valid route to qualifying until 2032. Whether you choose to undergo the LPC or SQE will again be based on your personal circumstances having considered financial and personal factors.

Reactions: J.001

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Good afternoon all!

I was hoping to get some perspectives and advice on my specific personal circumstances. I am an LLB graduate (2017) who previously worked in Paralegal roles before switching careers in 2019 to a Fast-track Detective programme. I am now looking to reenter the legal sector and secure a training contract.

I have been researching self-funding the LPC or SQE. I am apprehensive about self-funding the LPC due to the phased transition to the SQE anticipated over the next few years. I am keen to show my dedication to a career in law and believe self-funding an SQE course may be one way to achieve this. I have sufficient savings to fund the costs independently. I also think it would be beneficial to study alongside others with the same aims and objectives as myself.
    • What would be the benefits/drawbacks of self-funding the SQE for someone in my position looking to secure a TC?
    • Are there any other recommended routes into the profession based on my background?
    Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Studying College Life GIF

Thanks,

J
    Hello! Fellow career-changer here who largely self-funded her LPC ✋

The LPC truly was the best way for me to re-acquaint myself with a career in law. Since I was so focused on being a journalist during my LLB, I missed out on all the legwork people around me had put into building their careers in commercial law and the LPC gave me the opportunity to do this through building connections with my tutors (most of whom had prestigious, active careers in commercial law) and by engaging myself in practice-focused courses.

This was not enough though- my initiative in actively attending networking events with firms and engaging with the careers service at my university was a big driver in me securing a TC in the end. Based on what you've mentioned about yourself and the fact that you've already worked in law, my best suggestion to you would be to resist taking the SQE/LPC for now and start with putting in the work to network with firms to demonstrate your commitment to a commercial law career and prepare to make TC applications. Since you already have experience working in law, I would highly recommend the direct TC route to you (which is what I applied through).

J.001

Jan 3, 2022
    Hi there :)

Firstly, your background is very interesting and will definitely be an asset now that you are looking to re-enter the legal sector and ultimately pursue a training contract. I personally think it provides you with unique experiences to draw from in your application answers and definitely makes you stand out. The thing for you to focus on now is to demonstrate to employers your commitment towards re-entering the legal career, reasons why you have made this decision now and (potentially) how your current role has contributed towards this decision.

I am assuming that you are currently in employment as a detective so pursuing the LPC/SQE would mean that you would no longer work and focus instead on studying? If so, I understand that this will be a very big decision to make!

Demonstrating a commitment to a legal career can however be shown in many ways beyond self-funding the LPC/SQE. As you have completed your LLB a few years ago with a few years of paralegal experiences, I would focus on applying to vacation schemes, attending law firm open evenings or panel discussions and networking events (restrictions permitting!). The reason I say this is because self-funding the LPC/SQE is a big commitment due to how expensive these courses are. Most TC applicants opt for the safer option to gain more experience whilst also applying for vacation schemes / training contracts so that their prospective firms can help them with funding. Having said this, it is also common for applicants to self fund these courses but this will all be dependant on your personal circumstances.

It's also worth noting that if you undertook the LPC, this would remain a valid route to qualifying until 2032. Whether you choose to undergo the LPC or SQE will again be based on your personal circumstances having considered financial and personal factors.
    Hi Ahi!

Thank you for the detailed advice, I really appreciate it. Evidencing that commitment is definitely the main thing I'm trying to tackle at the moment. I am full-time employed so I would need to give up my job and focus on the course if I were to self-fund.

One thing I am struggling to find is specific careers events for graduates. Most of these tend to be aimed at students in specific years of their study. I understand these are usually good opportunities to network, meet recruiters and ask questions of trainees at each firm. Are there any alternatives to this or graduate-specific events?

Regarding the LPC's validity, I have recently read that the LPC will be phased out over the 'next few years'. I am concerned that if I did complete the LPC, firms might not be as receptive to this as they have been in previous years given the transition to the new SQE. Have I understood the situation correctly?

Thanks again :)

J

J.001

Jan 3, 2022
    Hello! Fellow career-changer here who largely self-funded her LPC ✋

The LPC truly was the best way for me to re-acquaint myself with a career in law. Since I was so focused on being a journalist during my LLB, I missed out on all the legwork people around me had put into building their careers in commercial law and the LPC gave me the opportunity to do this through building connections with my tutors (most of whom had prestigious, active careers in commercial law) and by engaging myself in practice-focused courses.

This was not enough though- my initiative in actively attending networking events with firms and engaging with the careers service at my university was a big driver in me securing a TC in the end. Based on what you've mentioned about yourself and the fact that you've already worked in law, my best suggestion to you would be to resist taking the SQE/LPC for now and start with putting in the work to network with firms to demonstrate your commitment to a commercial law career and prepare to make TC applications. Since you already have experience working in law, I would highly recommend the direct TC route to you (which is what I applied through).
    Hi Avni!

Great to hear from someone who was in a similar boat. I similarly was not careers focused during my LLB degree. Again, this is another benefit of self-funding the LPC/SQE that I was considering - benefiting from the course provider's careers service and being fresh in training again.

I have been researching open days and insight evenings, however, most of these tend to be aimed at younger students in particular years of their course studies. Have I missed the boat for graduate events or am I looking in the wrong place for them?

Your reply is very encouraging! I just need to find some alternative strategies to network with firms. I am applying for VS's and will be submitting some direct TC applications later this year.

Thanks very much for your advice, much appreciated :)

J

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi Avni!

Great to hear from someone who was in a similar boat. I similarly was not careers focused during my LLB degree. Again, this is another benefit of self-funding the LPC/SQE that I was considering - benefiting from the course provider's careers service and being fresh in training again.

I have been researching open days and insight evenings, however, most of these tend to be aimed at younger students in particular years of their course studies. Have I missed the boat for graduate events or am I looking in the wrong place for them?

Your reply is very encouraging! I just need to find some alternative strategies to network with firms. I am applying for VS's and will be submitting some direct TC applications later this year.

Thanks very much for your advice, much appreciated :)

J
    Hi J,

There are definitely firms out there that, intentionally or unintentionally, target a younger demographic, but by no means are they in an overwhelming majority. As far as I know, graduate recruitment events don't have an age/experience bar, so please do apply to them- they are a great way to find gain in-depth knowledge about commercial law and the firm in particular, as well. I'm also a big fan of attending panel events and webinars as both a way to network and an opportunity to demonstrate your initiative.

I applied for/got my TC after I completed both my LLB and MSc and while I began a COVID-19 induced gap year- trust me, you 100% can do this 💪

Wishing you all the best- please do post here on the forum with updates about your application journey. Rooting for you!

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    Hi Ahi!

Thank you for the detailed advice, I really appreciate it. Evidencing that commitment is definitely the main thing I'm trying to tackle at the moment. I am full-time employed so I would need to give up my job and focus on the course if I were to self-fund.

One thing I am struggling to find is specific careers events for graduates. Most of these tend to be aimed at students in specific years of their study. I understand these are usually good opportunities to network, meet recruiters and ask questions of trainees at each firm. Are there any alternatives to this or graduate-specific events?

Regarding the LPC's validity, I have recently read that the LPC will be phased out over the 'next few years'. I am concerned that if I did complete the LPC, firms might not be as receptive to this as they have been in previous years given the transition to the new SQE. Have I understood the situation correctly?

Thanks again :)

J
    Heya, similar to you I graduated my LLB in 2016 and then did a Master's and spent a few years working before applying for TCs.

I haven't found there to be any specific events for career changers, I just attended the usual law fairs and graduate events - there will be mature candidates / career changers who attend these as well, being a trainee you would be considered a "graduate" / entry-level employee after all. Only thing I will say is some firms like Clifford Chance explicitly state a preference for students and not all firms open their VS applications to applicants beyond their 2nd / 3rd year of uni (some also have specific intakes for graduates, usually winter), so I would keep an eye out for that. Nevertheless I didn't find being an older applicant too restrictive in terms of what I could apply for tbh, if anything firms found my prior background quite interesting and an asset to becoming a lawyer.

The LPC vs SQE situation is kinda tricky and it's really dependent on the firm - some are happy to just accept your LPC qualification, others would make you complete the SQE 2 before joining as a trainee which might be a bit of a repetition if you have already done the LPC. I would discuss this with the firms you're especially interested in and also check out some LPC vs SQE events that are being run by law schools like BPP and ULaw - I ultimately didn't need to make the decision as I ended up getting a TC so will be funded for the SQE, but when I was in your situation the impression I got is that if you have the option it's better to do the LPC for now as it will still be recognised for the next few years and it's a more tried and tested course.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.