Career changer - panicking

D

Deleted member 31263

I am a career changer (3.5 year in the industry) and currently 28. Managed to secure a training contract and a vac scheme so all good. However, recently, I have been having doubts whether I really want to be going to a law school at the age of 28...

The GDL and SQE sponsorship fees are not enough for me to allow me survive in London so I will have to work part-time - probably some coffee shop or sth. Again, after close to 4 years on a very comfortable salary, do I really want to be working on a minimum wage for 2 years? Also, what if I don't like the type of job - although I guess the vac scheme will help me to answer this question.

Anyone in a similar position? Anyone had similar questions? Any help would be appreciated.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am a career changer (3.5 year in the industry) and currently 28. Managed to secure a training contract and a vac scheme so all good. However, recently, I have been having doubts whether I really want to be going to a law school at the age of 28...

The GDL and SQE sponsorship fees are not enough for me to allow me survive in London so I will have to work part-time - probably some coffee shop or sth. Again, after close to 4 years on a very comfortable salary, do I really want to be working on a minimum wage for 2 years? Also, what if I don't like the type of job - although I guess the vac scheme will help me to answer this question.

Anyone in a similar position? Anyone had similar questions? Any help would be appreciated.
When is the vacation scheme and when do you have to accept your TC by?

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Is the vac scheme with the same firm?

I'm in exact same position as you except older - I have just turned 30 and have a TC offer. I also have, somewhat surprisingly, been feeling very anxious about it since I've gotten the offer. I will be 34 by the time I qualify and having my life til that age mapped out feels a little daunting - but it is normal to feel like you've cold feet at a later age and with such a big commitment.
I have also been working in my current field for ~7 years now, so dealing with a bit of bargaining with sunk cost fallacy. My career is also relatively comfortable and pays well, so its not like I am giving up nothing. And I am very conscious of the cost involved during the ~2 year study period, so can empathise with you a lot.

I keep reminding myself that any move like this in life always carries some risk - but it is also highly likely you will look back on this time with regret if you don't pursue it. You must have put a lot of effort in to get a TC and a vac scheme so you know a lot about the field and clearly have demonstrated enough competency to get a TC.
2 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things and if anything might be nice to reset to a slower pace of life during the study period. You may qualify for student finance for the SQE courses too. Remember the sponsorships/grants are tax-free - so you may be able to manage more than you think you can. PM me if you want to ask anything.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You can ask for an extension of the offer period of your TC. The firm could say no, but there is no harm in asking whether it is a possibility.

Alternatively you could ask the TC firm whether you could do a couple of days work shadowing. You can explain you just want to find out more about the firm and the working environment, especially if you haven’t had any legal work experience yet.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Adding to what Jessica has said also - you can just accept the TC and renege later (assuming your start is Sept?). Its not ideal but its highly unlikely anything will come of it unless they hand over the maintenance grant / pay fees etc. Not sure how your offer works but mine we accept, then book our own spot on the GDL/SQE. You can just prolong the second bit.

Rainbowergy

Jan 27, 2024
Changing careers can definitely feel overwhelming, but remember, you have options. Jessica makes a good point about accepting the offer and potentially reconsidering later if needed. It's worth exploring the specifics of your offer to see what flexibility you have.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.