Career changer - straight to TC?

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
I would personally recommend doing a VS if you're career changing as it is a big commitment leaving your current career and going back to law school for the GDL/LPC before starting out at the bottom of the pecking order as a trainee. A VS gives you the opportunity to really test out whether it is the right environment for you and to get to speak to people at the firm to make your own mind up if it is the right move.
The only problem with that is that quite a few firms restrict vac scheme eligibility to undergrads, or those who have graduated within the last couple of years. That therefore prevents a potential candidate who graduated a longer time ago from applying to vac schemes, which means for those firms they can only aply for TCs.

Nicktim

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
The only problem with that is that quite a few firms restrict vac scheme eligibility to undergrads, or those who have graduated within the last couple of years. That therefore prevents a potential candidate who graduated a longer time ago from applying to vac schemes, which means for those firms they can only aply for TCs.

It's a fair point and is something that ultimately will depend on the circumstances of the individual and the firms they are looking to apply for. I don't know how many firms have such restrictions.

I personally decided I wouldn't go straight for a TC without having experienced a few weeks at a firm because at the time of applying I was 25 and in a senior position in a completely different industry. The decision I faced was to progress in my industry and get a mortgage or leave all of that and go back to full-time education for 18 months followed by 2 years as a trainee which was a huge financial and personal commitment. I felt that I needed to be fully informed as to whether the risk was going to be worth it for me and I didn't feel that a few firm networking events was enough to go off. Others may have less to lose from taking the leap, be less fortunate in being able to get time off for vac scheme or may feel they have sufficient info/experience and therefore go straight in for a TC.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hey all,

Just adding my 2c here - I am a career-changer and I have secured a TC in my first cycle of applications. It can of course be done!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to fire them over. I think what the recruiters were most interested in my end was "Why Commercial law now?" That is going to be a critical question that you must be able to answer and answer persuasively. For me, I was helped by the fact that I had begun studying law at undergrad, had a quasi-legal background (Police) and had engaged with the commercial side of the law through the start of my studies (open days, first-year schemes, etc).

You will be surprised how attentive recruiters are to your profile. Often, they get a lot of candidates who have a similar profile to each other and I'm sure (caveat: I am not a recruiter) asking the same questions over and over again may be a little mundane. So, I expect they enjoy asking and hearing about different things!

My one tip is to not take your career-changer status and professional background for granted. I can assure you, you will gain no leverage from this position. Everything you will need to achieve will be on merit, so, put in the work with applications, ace the interviews, and success will be yours :)

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Hey all,

Just adding my 2c here - I am a career-changer and I have secured a TC in my first cycle of applications. It can of course be done!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to fire them over. I think what the recruiters were most interested in my end was "Why Commercial law now?" That is going to be a critical question that you must be able to answer and answer persuasively. For me, I was helped by the fact that I had begun studying law at undergrad, had a quasi-legal background (Police) and had engaged with the commercial side of the law through the start of my studies (open days, first-year schemes, etc).

You will be surprised how attentive recruiters are to your profile. Often, they get a lot of candidates who have a similar profile to each other and I'm sure (caveat: I am not a recruiter) asking the same questions over and over again may be a little mundane. So, I expect they enjoy asking and hearing about different things!

My one tip is to not take your career-changer status and professional background for granted. I can assure you, you will gain no leverage from this position. Everything you will need to achieve will be on merit, so, put in the work with applications, ace the interviews, and success will be yours :)

Massive congratulations, and thanks so much for sharing your story! Very inspiring and helpful. I’m finding talking to career changers so helpful, I’ve just spoken to a career change lawyer I know in person too and it’s so insightful. The one thing I know with my profile is that it will stand out, just need to make sure it does in a positive way!

Great advice—I am putting my head down and putting a lot of care into my written pieces, I sent Hogan Lovells off last night and it’s the first one where I feel genuinely very good about my application. I tackled the career change issue head on in the “further info” section, and made sure to back it up with some actual legal work this time!

I don’t have open days or first year schemes under my belt, but (without being outing about a previous role) I helped run a number of these so I have attended them! I think I’ve literally organised or attended close to 100 legal events (sobs). But I’m going to apply for some open days too, so if I get no luck over early applications I’ll hopefully be in a stronger position later this year.

DonnieDarko

Future Trainee
Dec 21, 2020
Possible to go straight to TC without VS. Got a TC at big US firm and offer from MC without doing VS. Early 30s came from a closely related field with solid experience. Most important point was to ensure you had solid case for career switch (most GR wanted to know why them, why now etc) but then also know where you want to go with that firm/profession.

Not that this is your position, but the “I watched suits” or “I want to make a difference” probably won’t cut it. You don’t go into commercial law bc you want to make a difference.

DonnieDarko

Future Trainee
Dec 21, 2020
Hey all,

yes, all of the above. I think it’s possible to make yourself stand out from the crowd ie candidates fresh out of uni. I also really sold myself as understanding the work of trainees (mostly grunt) but the traits (communication, attention to detail etc) and how I had a strong foundation due to work experience.

If you get to the AC I think it becomes clear why you have an advantage and what makes you as an older candidate attractive. Typical job interview jitters aside, the group exercise was one of my favourite parts! Good luck. Feel free to message as well.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Massive congratulations, and thanks so much for sharing your story! Very inspiring and helpful. I’m finding talking to career changers so helpful, I’ve just spoken to a career change lawyer I know in person too and it’s so insightful. The one thing I know with my profile is that it will stand out, just need to make sure it does in a positive way!

Great advice—I am putting my head down and putting a lot of care into my written pieces, I sent Hogan Lovells off last night and it’s the first one where I feel genuinely very good about my application. I tackled the career change issue head on in the “further info” section, and made sure to back it up with some actual legal work this time!

I don’t have open days or first year schemes under my belt, but (without being outing about a previous role) I helped run a number of these so I have attended them! I think I’ve literally organised or attended close to 100 legal events (sobs). But I’m going to apply for some open days too, so if I get no luck over early applications I’ll hopefully be in a stronger position later this year.

That's great news! I'm glad you have sent an app off that you are happy with. Hogan Lovells ask some different questions so I can imagine you spent a lot of time, thought and effort into getting your answers in great shape. I can assure you - with every application you make, it gets easier. You have a foundation now to which you can build upon!

Do not feel discouraged that you have not attended Open Days or Schemes. Just ensure that you are able to persuasively convey your motivation to become a commercial lawyer :)

Reactions: DonnieDarko

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    hey! Can you remember which firms do this? I have applied to VSchemes without taking this into account! I also have not noticed this on firm websites!

Helpme12345

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hey all,

Hey! I find this part about not taking your professional background for granted really interesting. I'm not a career changer as such, but have been working in the energy sector for a little over a year since graduating and I am focusing on firms with strength in this sector. While I know that having an understanding of and interest in this sector would benefit me as a trainee, I don't want to come across as though I wouldn't be interested in exploring other areas of law. I also know that this experience will only benefit to a certain extent and is not something that other trainees could not also learn, so I don't want to come across like I think I'm an expert and as if my knowledge will be super valuable to these firms in my applications.

If anyone has any similar experiences/tips on how to write about past industry experience I would be very grateful!

ath120

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jul 9, 2020
    Hey! I find this part about not taking your professional background for granted really interesting. I'm not a career changer as such, but have been working in the energy sector for a little over a year since graduating and I am focusing on firms with strength in this sector. While I know that having an understanding of and interest in this sector would benefit me as a trainee, I don't want to come across as though I wouldn't be interested in exploring other areas of law. I also know that this experience will only benefit to a certain extent and is not something that other trainees could not also learn, so I don't want to come across like I think I'm an expert and as if my knowledge will be super valuable to these firms in my applications.

If anyone has any similar experiences/tips on how to write about past industry experience I would be very grateful!
    Hey! I have a similar background, having worked in the public sector for a couple of years post graduation but not necessarily long enough for it to be a career. I think a lot of the points already mentioned in this thread still apply, and having something unique about your journey to a training contract seems to be interesting to law firms!

My public sector role was in sustainable energy and I was keen to link this experience and interest to the work that the law firms I applied did in this space. I agree that it can be hard to find the balance between not coming across like you know everything just because you have experience, but I think as long as you are accurate when explaining your experiences, and focus more on the skills you acquired it should come across well. It is definitely a good way to create that all important narrative and link to a firm e.g. a firm who is highly ranked in the energy sector. In terms of making sure it comes across like you still want to explore other areas of law, in my opinion, this might just come down to the way you answer questions aimed at gauging how well you understand the role of a trainee / what a TC entails and your desire to learn a lot!

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific q's :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Helpme12345

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.