Challenges facing the legal profession over the next 10 years

EstelleK

Standard Member
TCLA Writer
Jun 4, 2018
I have identified a few challenges affecting the legal profession over the next 10 years, for example, cyber security, technology, the Big 4, alternative billing models etc. How can I use my skills and experiences to assist the profession in meeting these challenges?

Reactions: Nicole

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
I have identified a few challenges affecting the legal profession over the next 10 years, for example, cyber security, technology, the Big 4, alternative billing models etc. How can I use my skills and experiences to assist the profession in meeting these challenges?

I agree, those are definitely some of the big challenges facing law firms over the next 10 years. I would say whether you can use your skills and experiences to assist the profession depends on the challenge. For example, let's take alternative billing models, that's more of an issue for partners and so probably not something you could assist with.

Cyber security, on the other hand, is much more relevant to a trainee. You will often be handling confidential client information and you will need to follow the guidance from your law firm to ensure that information is protected. That may involve regularly changing your password, locking your computer when you leave and reporting spam emails at your work address. Here, you could mention any past experiences where you have had to protect personal data. You may also mention your IT skills, attention to detail and strong communication skills (but if this is an application question, talk about examples when you have used these skills rather than simply stating them).

The same applies to legal technology. Do you stay up to date with legal technology news (Jonty has some great articles over at the Law Tech Academy)? Are you creative? Entrepreneurial? Do you have any experiences working with other types of technology, both in and outside the workplace?

Both of these are just examples, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what to look out for!

• 🏆
Reactions: Jai C., EstelleK and Salma

taneshS

Star Member
Future Trainee
Feb 26, 2018

Hi can I ask what you mean by alternative billing models? I've seen this mentioned a few times.

EstelleK

Standard Member
TCLA Writer
Jun 4, 2018
I agree, those are definitely some of the big challenges facing law firms over the next 10 years. I would say whether you can use your skills and experiences to assist the profession depends on the challenge. For example, let's take alternative billing models, that's more of an issue for partners and so probably not something you could assist with.

Cyber security, on the other hand, is much more relevant to a trainee. You will often be handling confidential client information and you will need to follow the guidance from your law firm to ensure that information is protected. That may involve regularly changing your password, locking your computer when you leave and reporting spam emails at your work address. Here, you could mention any past experiences where you have had to protect personal data. You may also mention your IT skills, attention to detail and strong communication skills (but if this is an application question, talk about examples when you have used these skills rather than simply stating them).

The same applies to legal technology. Do you stay up to date with legal technology news (Jonty has some great articles over at the Law Tech Academy)? Are you creative? Entrepreneurial? Do you have any experiences working with other types of technology, both in and outside the workplace?

Both of these are just examples, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what to look out for!

Thanks Nicole, this really helped!

Reactions: Nicole

Shane

Distinguished Member
Jul 22, 2018
Hi Guys,

I was thinking about talking about the One Belt One Road initiative as the business news story that I am interested in. However, I am studying a double major in Law and Chinese Studies. Since I am already completing a china-focused degree should I stay away from China-related matters for my commercial question ? I heard some people say to stay away from your own course of study. Any thoughts ?

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hi Guys,

I was thinking about talking about the One Belt One Road initiative as the business news story that I am interested in. However, I am studying a double major in Law and Chinese Studies. Since I am already completing a china-focused degree should I stay away from China-related matters for my commercial question ? I heard some people say to stay away from your own course of study. Any thoughts ?

I don't personally think it matters too much if you pick something related to your course of study, as its pretty natural to have your interests informed by what you study...the question asks what business story interests you, it would be pretty unfair of a recruiter to pre-judge how or why you are interested in that topic. I suspect breadth of commerciality is something that's better tested at later stages of assessment (eg through case studies).

It's probably more important to have depth of analysis in whatever you choose to write on. It may be the case that your analysis might be expected to be deeper given your degree focus, but I don't think you should worry too much about your topic choice.

Reactions: Jaysen and Daniel Boden

Shane

Distinguished Member
Jul 22, 2018
That's great, thank you !

On that point, I think I saw on one thread that you also focused on OBOR for the commercial question. There are so many different elements to the project, do you mind me asking how you went about discussing OBOR ?

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
That's great, thank you !

On that point, I think I saw on one thread that you also focused on OBOR for the commercial question. There are so many different elements to the project, do you mind me asking how you went about discussing OBOR ?

I think it is helpful to think about how the BRI will impact businesses, and which aspects might have the greatest impact on law firms. That will help you narrow it down to a more specific angle that gives you room for deeper analysis. As I mentioned in the previous post, I chose to focus on the regulatory obstacles to BRI public and private financing. It was a 250 word question, and I spent about 50 words on a brief introduction before moving into my analysis and tying it back to the firm.

Hope that helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.