Checking emails: Applications Anonymous 6pm club?

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Hi guys! I know a lot of others are in the same boat as me, constantly checking emails/application portals to see if anything has come through. I think it's really affecting my productivity and ability to concentrate, so....

I thought starting next week I am going to restrict myself to checking my emails once per day, at 6pm each day. Which will hopefully reduce the anxiety--at least after I get in a routine!

Anyone want to join me in this, and make a 6pm club?

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
That is a great idea but like @Veep9 I definitely do not have enough self restraint!

I think also the fact that it's a pandemic is making everything harder because there aren't exactly lots of fun things to do to take our minds of the application stress!

Reactions: Veep9

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hi guys! I know a lot of others are in the same boat as me, constantly checking emails/application portals to see if anything has come through. I think it's really affecting my productivity and ability to concentrate, so....

I thought starting next week I am going to restrict myself to checking my emails once per day, at 6pm each day. Which will hopefully reduce the anxiety--at least after I get in a routine!

Sounds like a great idea! I wish I had done this during my applications- would have saved me the mini heart attacks every time I got a new email ( half the time it was food related 🙄)

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020
I like this a lot. It doesn’t help that some firms got back to me with rejections / AC’s on the weekend last year too...

So I definitely like the idea of just checking once a day! :)
And there was me thinking I could relax for the weekend 🤦‍♀️

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020

Great idea - I will ermm well I'll try

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Very impressed that you guys have managed this. Would be curious to know how it has impacted your stress levels!

I feel a lot better!

Got a full day's work done in my actual job, just checked my email now and have seen that nobody has contacted me anyway! So I'm glad I spent my time more productively and plan to do the same tomorrow. I think I also felt a lot better too, making myself push it out of mind for the whole day.

Would recommend to others--even if the whole day is too much set a goal (lunchtime, 6pm?) and consciously cut down. :)

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Can report that today was much better than last Friday, which was probably the worst day since I started applying this time around. Admittedly, I did check my email a few times as I was expecting other emails but definitely feel better not checking it every five minutes. I do feel a bit restless with the agonisingly long waits with some firms, but it is more manageable.

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    So I've been very successful at not checking my emails, which has been helped by the fact that I'm being entirely ghosted! 😁

Halloween Dancing GIF by Headexplodie

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.