Clifford Chance application - confused

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hi

I am a penultimate year law student in the UK. Clifford chance website states penultimate year students can apply from Sept 1 for Sept 25 and Feb 26 training contracts (I believe they don'y have VS - please correct if I am wrong).

Now, most companies will advertise Sept 2026 TC for penultimate year law students since we will graduate in 2025 and take 1 year to finish SQE etc. So, how is it possible for us to start our TC in Sept 25/Feb 26 as advertised by them ? If not possible, why would they open it up to penultimate year students ? My only conclusion is the SQE prep will be online. But then even that is not possible since their LLM SQE 1&2 is quite exhaustive and will take full time 1 year study as per my estimates. Totally confused .

Sorry for the naive question

Thanks

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi

I am a penultimate year law student in the UK. Clifford chance website states penultimate year students can apply from Sept 1 for Sept 25 and Feb 26 training contracts (I believe they don'y have VS - please correct if I am wrong).

Now, most companies will advertise Sept 2026 TC for penultimate year law students since we will graduate in 2025 and take 1 year to finish SQE etc. So, how is it possible for us to start our TC in Sept 25/Feb 26 as advertised by them ? If not possible, why would they open it up to penultimate year students ? My only conclusion is the SQE prep will be online. But then even that is not possible since their LLM SQE 1&2 is quite exhaustive and will take full time 1 year study as per my estimates. Totally confused .

Sorry for the naive question

Thanks
    When firms state 'penultimate year students', this usually means penultimate year students and upwards, so final years and then graduates as well - the latter of which, would be able to start in Sept 2026. I may be wrong though, perhaps @Jessica Booker may be able to provide more insight.

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
    Jul 10, 2023
    When firms state 'penultimate year students', this usually means penultimate year students and upwards, so final years and then graduates as well - the latter of which, would be able to start in Sept 2026. I may be wrong though, perhaps @Jessica Booker may be able to provide more insight.
    Yes, that is understood but my question is : do the penutimate year students (of a 3 year course) even qualify to apply for CC's Sept 2025/Feb 2026 contract and if so, how?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.