Clifford Chance - Middle East TC

Zahra

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 9, 2018
Hey everyone!

I managed to secure an AC with CC in the Middle East. Just have a few questions:
1) Has anyone heard back about the dates for the CC AC in the Middle East?
2) Has anyone previously interviewed at their Middle East office? If so, any tips?
3) Has anyone previously interviewed for any Middle East TC's? If so, any important factors I should keep in mind re the region?
4) Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for a M&A case study?

Thanks in advance :)

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey everyone!

I managed to secure an AC with CC in the Middle East. Just have a few questions:
2) Has anyone previously interviewed at their Middle East office? If so, any tips?
3) Has anyone previously interviewed for any Middle East TC's? If so, any important factors I should keep in mind re the region?

Hi Zahrah, congrats on securing an AC!

I have answered your questions below:

1) Yes, I completed an AC.

2) I did not interview in the ME office, I interviewed in the London office, instead.

3) I interviewed for a ME vac scheme last summer (different firm), all I can say on this point is be aware of current trends so for instance, I was asked (not by CC another firm), a particular story/event/topic in the ME and how that would affect the firm and their clients.

4) In terms of the M&A case study, make sure you manage your time well. You only have 30mins to read through the material, answer the questions and type up your answer.

Good luck, if you have any further questions, I will be happy to answer. Don't forget to enjoy the cookies and the day aswell.

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: Zahra and Jaysen

Zahra

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 9, 2018

2) I did not interview in the ME office, I interviewed in the London office, instead.

3) I interviewed for a ME vac scheme last summer (different firm), all I can say on this point is be aware of current trends so for instance, I was asked (not by CC another firm), a particular story/event/topic in the ME and how that would affect the firm and their clients.

4) In terms of the M&A case study, make sure you manage your time well. You only have 30mins to read through the material, answer the questions and type up your answer.

Good luck, if you have any further questions, I will be happy to answer. Don't forget to enjoy the cookies and the day aswell.

Firstly, congrats on getting an interview too! Fingers crossed for you!

Re the info, thank you soooo much! Very helpful.

I do have two further Q's.

Firstly,re the M&A case study: I've never done one and have had no practical experience/exposure with any M&A's either, so i'm not sure what to expect or how to prepare for it. To this end:
1) What is the content of a case study like? (i.e. do they give you company profiles or what other type of documents to analyse)
2) How would you suggest to approach the case study documents?
3) Any tips on what I should always including when answering the questions and typing up my answers?

Secondly, this is my first ever AC. I am unsure about what happens after. Are there any interviews after that, or are TC's offered straight after AC's?

Thank you :)

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Firstly, congrats on getting an interview too! Fingers crossed for you!

Re the info, thank you soooo much! Very helpful.

I do have two further Q's.

Firstly,re the M&A case study: I've never done one and have had no practical experience/exposure with any M&A's either, so i'm not sure what to expect or how to prepare for it. To this end:
1) What is the content of a case study like? (i.e. do they give you company profiles or what other type of documents to analyse)
2) How would you suggest to approach the case study documents?
3) Any tips on what I should always including when answering the questions and typing up my answers?

Secondly, this is my first ever AC. I am unsure about what happens after. Are there any interviews after that, or are TC's offered straight after AC's?

Thank you :)

Thanks Zahrah, you too!

Re your questions:

1) You are given a printed email with info from the partner re the task and questions you need to answer. Attached to the printed email, you are given a couple of sheets of info about the client which will help you answer the questions listed in the printed email.

2) It really depends on the question, I structured it as follows: 1. What is the issue? 2. What can CC do/solutions they could offer? Basic contractual knowledge might also be required (indemnity etc) and another basic understanding of the firm (innovative products CC could utilise to allow the process to be cost effective for the client)

3) I would always include a solution to the answer. I would not simply say this is the issue we have, I would advise you to always think about what CC could do for the client in any given situation!

Following the case study/ competency interview. I had to complete another video conference interview with the Dubai office (not to sure if you would need to do this as assuming from your previous post you’re going to the ME office)?

Finally, good luck and watch the time. 30mins felt like 2mins!

Reactions: heidipercyslinky

Zahra

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 9, 2018
Thanks Zahrah, you too!

Re your questions:

1) You are given a printed email with info from the partner re the task and questions you need to answer. Attached to the printed email, you are given a couple of sheets of info about the client which will help you answer the questions listed in the printed email.

2) It really depends on the question, I structured it as follows: 1. What is the issue? 2. What can CC do/solutions they could offer? Basic contractual knowledge might also be required (indemnity etc) and another basic understanding of the firm (innovative products CC could utilise to allow the process to be cost effective for the client)

3) I would always include a solution to the answer. I would not simply say this is the issue we have, I would advise you to always think about what CC could do for the client in any given situation!

Following the case study/ competency interview. I had to complete another video conference interview with the Dubai office (not to sure if you would need to do this as assuming from your previous post you’re going to the ME office)?

Finally, good luck and watch the time. 30mins felt like 2mins!

Thank you so very much. I intend to fly down to Dubai for my AC, but the TC is 1 year in London and 1 year in the ME with an aim to build your career in the ME. Sorry for bombarding you with Qs, but this video conference interview, was it competency based?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thank you so very much. I intend to fly down to Dubai for my AC, but the TC is 1 year in London and 1 year in the ME with an aim to build your career in the ME. Sorry for bombarding you with Qs, but this video conference interview, was it competency based?

No worries and it was a ‘chat’ so a mixture of why CC/ competency and situational questions/ and why commercial law.

I hope this helps.

Zahra

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 9, 2018
Hey everyone!

To anyone else interested, a very kind person sent me this info in response to my above Qs:
"I went to an Open Day at CC's Dubai office and here are my main takeaways:
  • Most important tip: emphasize your long-term affinity to the Middle East and show your commitment to law!
  • Most of our presentations were on legal technology. One of the benefits of smaller offices if that they get to pilot new initiatives before rolling it out elsewhere. A lot of NQ associates are able to play a big role in the Dubai technology team.
  • CC has been in the UAE since 1975. Only two other international law firms (Clyde & Co and Dentons arrived earlier) — this is crucial. English law is very important in the UAE and you will want to train at a place that has been around the longest.
  • In CC Dubai Corporate, Banking, Real Estate, and Disputes are the most important. Fun fact: senior associates have been able to speak in front of DIFC courts, which is kind of neat as solicitors don't usually get a chance to do that.
  • Graduate recruitment for Dubai is made out of 3 people (2 in Dubai, 1 in London) — the two I talked to really emphasize CC's collegial culture and lockstep remuneration. So that might be something to mention. The benefit of working in Dubai is getting more hands-on experience at an early stage.
  • We looked at a practice case study. If I were you, I would review organization formation structures, different forms of financing, how acquisitions can be pursued. Our exercise cumulated in a "client pitch," so having that orientation is important."

heidipercyslinky

Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 28, 2019

Hi Salma, I have an upcoming AC for CC, specifically their IGNITE programme in London. This is my first AC ever so I'm super excited and nervous. Could you give any tips? Will interviewees for London TCs also have a video conferencing interview?

• 🏆
Reactions: Zahra and Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi Salma, I have an upcoming AC for CC, specifically their IGNITE programme in London. This is my first AC ever so I'm super excited and nervous. Could you give any tips? Will interviewees for London TCs also have a video conferencing interview?

100%! I will post a full breakdown of my CC AC very shortly so everyone can benefit, please bare with me.

The AC is the same for all programmes, whether vacation scheme, training contract, spark or IGNITE.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018

Hello again. I just realised that Jaysen just posted a TC/VS interview summary. Please see it here - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....chance-training-contract-interview-2019.1198/

This basically sums up the day nicely, be prepared to answer questions relating to the IGNITE programme specifically though, so why this programme as opposed to a TC/VS with the firm. Please do let me know if you need anything else.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.