Clifford Chance TC

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Also I just checked the CC email it did state we will hear “after” the 14th December, so I’m assuming anytime between tomorrow 15th to 18th! It doesn’t necessarily mean we will be hearing today!

Are you in the category who have previously sat their WG (applied for previous scheme)? I’m not, and the only email I have is by the 14th for positive news :confused:

Good luck for the next few days!

Reactions: AlRJ

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
I passed the WG last year and I was still told I'd hear by the 14th. Confused (although I applied right at the start of August so perhaps they changed the email since then)

AlRJ

Esteemed Member
Jun 23, 2019
I've never applied to CC before and my email stated: "If your application is considered, you will find out no later than 14th December 2020"

It seems like no one outside of the priority pool has heard back yet

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 11, 2020
I completely forgot about CC but I also didn't get any updates on the 14th. I'm hoping that they received far more non-priority applications than they had hoped for and they extend the timeline they gave.

@John Smith — I'm not sure what their pass mark is but CC compares your scores to their "Clifford Chance Trainee Norm", which has five categories from "well below average" to "well above average". I would think that getting 10th percentile and under ("well below average") might not be enough to pass and perhaps "below average" which is between 11th and 30th percentile, might be too low too, but who knows. Hogan Lovells for example, has a 18th percentile pass mark (against their own norm group). It really depends on the firm and the norm group they use.

directly from CC:
  • "we do not disclose the pass mark, primarily because it is based on our trainee norm so the mark fluctuates. Just practice and do your very best."
  • "This is a very common question but the actual answer won't help you as you are never looking to just 'pass' the Watson Glaser test. It's important that you do your very best as sometimes we use the scores as a differentiator if candidates are performing equally well in other areas of the application process."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8341

I completely forgot about CC but I also didn't get any updates on the 14th. I'm hoping that they received far more non-priority applications than they had hoped for and they extend the timeline they gave.

@John Smith — I'm not sure what their pass mark is but CC compares your scores to their "Clifford Chance Trainee Norm", which has five categories from "well below average" to "well above average". I would think that getting 10th percentile and under ("well below average") might not be enough to pass and perhaps "below average" which is between 11th and 30th percentile, might be too low too, but who knows. Hogan Lovells for example, has a 18th percentile pass mark (against their own norm group). It really depends on the firm and the norm group they use.

directly from CC:
  • "we do not disclose the pass mark, primarily because it is based on our trainee norm so the mark fluctuates. Just practice and do your very best."
  • "This is a very common question but the actual answer won't help you as you are never looking to just 'pass' the Watson Glaser test. It's important that you do your very best as sometimes we use the scores as a differentiator if candidates are performing equally well in other areas of the application process."
thanks that's very helpful

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
How many people pass the WG? I just found out I passed but not too sure what that means in real terms

I remember Grad Rec saying 70% pass the test although I can't remember where I got this from.

Quite a few people pass but I’ve heard the Watson Glaser isn’t crucial for CC but I might be wrong. Are you outside the priority group?

WG is mandatory for CC to get to application review. If you don't pass the benchmark, your application won't be reviewed by Grad Rec.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Also I just checked the CC email it did state we will hear “after” the 14th December, so I’m assuming anytime between tomorrow 15th to 18th! It doesn’t necessarily mean we will be hearing today!

In the second email I got after submitting my app, the email said that "If your application is considered, you will find out no later than 14th December 2020" and later on said that "If your application is not considered, you will receive an email confirming that your application will not be taken forward no later than 18th December 2020".

So from this, I assume that if we didn't hear back yesterday, we aren't being considered because otherwise, we'd have heard back.

But, I see where you're coming from with the second line I quoted of the email so perhaps we have until 18/12? Tbh I'm not even sure at this point haha

Abgaal

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 24, 2019
Hey - just to let people know that I am a final year law student - so I fall under the non priority. I did my WG for CC almost 24 Nov and passed on the 26 Nov. So they do look at your app even if you are a final year!

• 🏆
Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97

PP27

Distinguished Member
Oct 11, 2019
Hey - just to let people know that I am a final year law student - so I fall under the non priority. I did my WG for CC almost 24 Nov and passed on the 26 Nov. So they do look at your app even if you are a final year!
Hey so I'm a graduate and I got the WG sent to me before the deadline, but I message grad rec asking whether there had been a mistake because I was non priority and it turns out that my application form accidentally said that I fell within the priority category. They then changed my application and put it on hold, telling me to ignore the WG test as I shouldnt have it yet as someone in non-priorty

Abgaal

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 24, 2019
Hey so I'm a graduate and I got the WG sent to me before the deadline, but I message grad rec asking whether there had been a mistake because I was non priority and it turns out that my application form accidentally said that I fell within the priority category. They then changed my application and put it on hold, telling me to ignore the WG test as I shouldnt have it yet as someone in non-priorty

Oh wow didn’t know that - well I mean they said that they are looking at my app .. can’t complain

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.