Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your CMS assessment day?

January 2019

What was it for?

CMS Academy.

Please describe the assessment day at CMS.

The group was split into two (5 in each group) and given separate timetables for the day.

There were 4 exercises:
    1. Speed networking with current trainees (6 minutes with 6 trainees). This was very informal and friendly - I think the key is really to be yourself, show interest in the firm and who you are talking to, but also demonstrate your own qualities and interests. The trainees had prompt questions which were very difficult questions - especially if you only had a minute to answer - so make sure to keep the conversation going haha!

2. Case study. You had to read all the information given, summarise your conclusion and advice on one side of A4, and prepare to present this in your partner interview. I'm not sure on what advice to give here - try to draw on commercial awareness/knowledge where you can (e.g. political environment, economy etc) but ultimately use your common sense.

3. Partner interview. Present your case study conclusion for 10 minutes, followed by 5 minutes in which the partner asks you questions about the case study/your presentation. This is followed by 30/40 minutes of competency-based questions. Make sure to use the STAR method and don't be too brief. There was no "Why CMS" or "Why law" question. Questions included:
    - Talk about a recent change in legislation and how it affects us/our clients.
    - Describe a time when you had to convince others of your point of view.

4. Group exercise. You had 30 minutes to prepare, 10 minutes to present, and 10 minutes in which they ask questions. The topic was very entrepreneurial driven so 30 minutes was quite short to brainstorm and prepare a presentation. Focus on what the question is asking and specifically what you need to answer - even though you are being watched by people it's not an opportunity to show off about how much you know generally.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the CMS interview?

All round it was an enjoyable, friendly and informal day. I had been advised by someone else (who had attended an assessment day at CMS previously) that CMS want you to do well and that they're not trying to trip you up - after my own experience I really felt this was true. Focus on being friendly and on being someone they would want to work with - although of course always be yourself.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.