Commercial awareness or interview books?

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
Commercial Writer
Sep 29, 2018
I was wondering if any of you had read useful books on commercial awareness, interview answers and techniques, or just generally about careers in the city?

I find it hard to pick good ones just looking online.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'm not familiar with books on interview techniques (although I'm sure there are).

For commercial awareness - I assume you know "All you need to know about the City"? @Hazal has also recommended Christopher Stoakes' commercial awareness book before. I've also heard about the Commercial Law Handbook by Jake Schogger, although I haven't read it.

Those books should give you a good starting point. My advice would be to then research areas you don't understand in more detail (Investopedia/Khan Academy/Youtube) or to buy an introduction to finance book. I had "An Introduction to Global Financial Markets", although I am sure there are many more books out there.

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    I'm not familiar with books on interview techniques (although I'm sure there are).

For commercial awareness - I assume you know "All you need to know about the City"? @Hazal has also recommended Christopher Stoakes' commercial awareness book before. I've also heard about the Commercial Law Handbook by Jake Schogger, although I haven't read it.

Those books should give you a good starting point. My advice would be to then research areas you don't understand in more detail (Investopedia/Khan Academy/Youtube) or to buy an introduction to finance book. I had "An Introduction to Global Financial Markets", although I am sure there are many more books out there.
    Christopher Stoakes' Commercial Awareness is a really good starting point! I couldn't commend it enough, especially if you're a little bit lost by all the different terms being thrown around (which was me)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Camilla Gionso

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hi Hazal,

Just to check - is the 2015/16 version you are talking about?

Thanks,
    Dan
    2013/14 actually. The price difference was quite a bit so I read reviews about the difference between the two dates. The consensus was that not much changes so there's no point needing the updated one if you already had the other. Do you have either of the editions?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    2013/14 actually. The price difference was quite a bit so I read reviews about the difference between the two dates. The consensus was that not much changes so there's no point needing the updated one if you already had the other. Do you have either of the editions?
    I have just ordered the 15/16 addition haha - was only around £10 on Amazon so thought why not!

Reactions: Helena and Hazal

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.