Commercial Awareness Videos

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi everyone :)

So major learning curve post failed ACs is commercial awareness is really where I need to improve. I've realised I loove watching short documentaries (think random Wendover Productions videos about airports and planes lool) and would love to use these as a good intro into deeper CA topics. Does anyone else watch videos like this and have favourite channels/video makers etc they would recommend?

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    This is a great idea! I think finding sources you enjoy makes such a difference.

While I don’t know of many documentaries, here are a few video suggestions:

I think Crash Course Economics is good:
    (albeit US focused). Same for Khan Academy.

Ray Dalio on the economy:
    Bill Ackman (famous hedge fund manager):

Am also a big fan of the financial crisis films (Margin Call/Inside Job/The Big Short).

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I'd recommend the webinar portal on Lexology - but it's more of an effort!

https://www.lexology.com/learn/webinars/all

And you can always resort to films and TV series - The Firm, Billions, (even Suits....) and this was a Shearman blog post not so long ago. Hey, if it has the Shearman stamp of approval it must be work, right?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If you have Twitter, the account @ComAware_4s tweets some pretty good videos (just filter for Media on the account) from other sources like Bloomberg News, CNN, Business Insider, BBC etc. They usually include the videos as part of a broader thread of tweets on a particular topic too which is very helpful.

• Love
    Reactions: OB and jan28

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi everyone :)

So major learning curve post failed ACs is commercial awareness is really where I need to improve. I've realised I loove watching short documentaries (think random Wendover Productions videos about airports and planes lool) and would love to use these as a good intro into deeper CA topics. Does anyone else watch videos like this and have favourite channels/video makers etc they would recommend?
    PS Bright Network also has some video lessons to get you started, with Christopher Stoakes presenting. A little dry perhaps but very clear explanations of how the City works https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/academy/course/commercial-awareness/

• Love
    Reactions: OB

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.