Recommended Films, Books & Documentaries with a Commercial/Legal Aspect

A

Anon08

Hey everyone! I thought it would be good to create a new, more relaxed thread for members to share and discuss some of their favourite films/documentaries/books which have a commercial or legal edge to them.

Commercial awareness/technical knowledge can be really hard to 'get in to', and sometimes you just need a cursory introduction before you pull out the economics textbooks. I have found that films/documentaries/books, which incorporate aspects of industry, are a great way to get candidates into certain commercial topics and encourage them to learn more about them. Nevertheless, it can be difficult to know where to start - hence, this thread!

Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be looking to post some short reviews of films/documentaries/books which (I think) do a great job of illustrating commercial affairs or giving an introduction to some commercial/technical concepts. These aren't going to be particularly formal reviews, but rather pointers towards some more accessible, 'commercial awareness' learning material - and, of course, to encourage forum members to share their own reviews/suggestions!

Before I kick off with the first 'review'/recommendation, I want to highlight that I'll be staying away from (as far as possible) media that might be in a commercial/legal setting but are not particularly helpful for VS/TC candidates. This is not to say that 'Suits', for example, is an unenjoyable show (my stance regarding that serial is, 'no comment')! Rather I don't think it, and others similar really have a place in this thread.

Finally, as always, I know this is a more informal thread, but let's keep the discussion civil - what might be helpful/interesting for one person might not be for all; nevertheless, everyone has their own individual taste, which should be respected.

So, without further ado...

Margin Call

Shock, horror, chaos - I didn't start with The Big Short! Instead, welcome to The Big Short's leaner, grittier, older brother (review coming in the next few weeks on The Big Short, of course).

Here you will find the likes of Zachary Quinto, Paul Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Stanley Tucci, Kevin Spacey, and more, playing soon-to-be sin-stained individuals in a dark, lucrative industry...

...namely, acting as employees of an unnamed fictional investment bank just before the GFC (mid-2007 - 2008/9).

Plot (SPOILERS)

Frivolities aside, the film depicts a fictional investment bank over an approximate 24-hour period, which makes you feel like a lot of the film is in real-time. Over these 24-hours, an associate at the bank finishes a financial model which is recently-fired supervisor had left behind. The model shows huge volatility in the bank's mortgage-backed securities (MBS) portfolio. Because the bank's position is overleveraged, a drop in the value of the portfolio would lead to a loss greater than the value of the bank itself.

The associate reports this to his superior, and *drama ensues*. Eventually, in the early hours of the morning, a decision is made by the lovely Mr Irons, playing the CEO of the bank, to dump as much of the toxic portfolio as possible, and to do so...all at once...when the markets open that morning. Needless to say, this would compromise the bank's relations with its industry peers and damage the market as a whole. Notwithstanding these warnings, in a few hours time, the firesale goes ahead - *drama ensues*.

The upshot is that the bank has taken eye-watering loses, destroyed their customer/peer relationships but has managed to dump the toxic portfolio. The implication is that this unnamed investment bank was the one that saw the Global Financial Crisis (GFC) coming and was one of the ones that got out early and alive.

Benefits of Watching

Okay, so aside from getting to experience Mr Quinto's magnificent eyebrows, Mr Bettany and Mr Irons' gorgeous vocal timbres, and some great cinematic pacing, Margin Call is a great film to get a 'feel' for the GFC, and see, from the perspective of the banks, the catch-22 position they were in. You really do get a feel for the dilemma - is this really the end? Do we really have to bail out now? The losses will be huge, but will this really crash like we think it will?

It is slightly more advanced than, say The Big Short, because it doesn't really stop to explain anything. Acronyms are used (like MBS), technical terms are employed (like 'leverage') all without any fanfare or explanation. So, if you aren't particularly familiar with these concepts you can treat this film in two ways: (1) watch the film, enjoy it, and note down anything you don't understand, or (2) watch its younger brother, The Big Short, first, and then watch this to 'test' your understanding.

Personally, if you're in the aforementioned position, I would suggest: watch Margin Call and make some notes → conduct some basic research based on your notes (to develop a basic understanding) → watch The Big Short → rewatch Margin Call. Disclaimer: do not do this in a short timeframe! I mean, you can - but I know I don't have enough time to do all of that at once, and it might be a little nauseating to do so anyway!

- Right, I think I'll stop there! If you need more information on the film, you can always do a quick search online, but I think this gives you a decent idea of what to expect! I really do enjoy this film, and I think it is a lot more impactful (albeit less accessible) than its younger brother!

A

Anon08

The Big Short

Well, it had to be done...! The film known and loved by all keen, upcoming investment bankers and commercial lawyers - The Big Short really is the film for all things commercial.

Now, I assume almost all of you have watched The Big Short, in which case, I apologise for bringing it up again! However, for those who haven't...where have you been! The film has a star-studded cast, fantastic cinematography and editing, and a plot that only the 2007-2009 financial crisis could beat...

Plot (SPOILERS)

The plot is based of the real world events surrounding the 2007-2009 financial crisis, with some of the characters you see actually being real people. Naturally, certain aspects are fictionalised and dramatised for the purposes of Hollywood; however, it does a great job of capturing the super important, very real characteristics of the subprime mortgage crash. There are multiple subplots going on, so I'll focus on the main arc.

A hedge fund manager spots a bubble forming the the US housing market. Essentially, the banks are giving out loans for people to buy houses. However, a lot of these people really shouldn't have loans - they can't afford to pay them back. Nevertheless, the banks keep lending to these individuals because they make a killing out of packaging up these bad loans into financial products (a collateralised debt obligation, CDO, or a mortage backed security, MBS) and selling them to other investors/banks. This causes the housing market to boom and prices to rise, which fuels more confidence in the housing market, which fuels more loans to people who shouldn't have loans...you get the idea.

Okay, so, this hedge fund manager, seeing what he thinks to be this bubble, decides to bet against the housing market because, well, this bubble has got to burst at some point, and when it does, he'll make a killing. He does this by creating a financial instrument known as a credit default swap (CDS). The banks happily go into business with the manager on these CDSs because for them its easy money - "who doesn't pay their mortgage?"...

Some other people find out about the CDS, and after a bit of digging, they find that the ratings agencies are giving out ratings to these MBSs & CDOs that aren't accurate. These financial products are filled with junk and lower investment grade rated debts, but are rated as AAA by the agencies because they're in cahoots with the banks! What transpires is that everyone thinks that these AAA packages are safe, when in actuality, they're time-bombs...

Okay, so a variety of people take out these CDSs and pray that the housing market is going to go boom. And, well, it does. The world economy is shaken to its core but a select few individuals make an absolute fortune.

Benefits of Watching

To be honest, whilst The Big Short has a great plot, many people watch the film to get a better understanding of the GFC and how some derivatives can work.

The film has whole scenes dedicated to stopping the plot and explaining financial terminology and processes in an engaging and accessible way. For example, Margot Robbie is in a bathtub drinking champagne explaining frailty of MBSs, Selena Gomez explains how CDOs could affect so many people while playing blackjack, and Anthony Bourdain explains how bad debts are packaged up in CDOs while making fish stew.

The terminology might be frightning to read about, but the film goes to great lengths to explaining the concepts in ways that you'll want to never forget!

For those who are just getting into the nitty gritty of commerce/finance, there is no better place to start. After watching, you will have learnt about the GFC, debt markets, and derivatives, and have had a great time doing so. So, if you haven't watched it, or you have watched it and need a refresher, rent a copy of the film this weekend, sit back, relax and enjoy two hours of Ryan Gosling and Steve Carell.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

The Big Short

Well, it had to be done...! The film known and loved by all keen, upcoming investment bankers and commercial lawyers - The Big Short really is the film for all things commercial.

Now, I assume almost all of you have watched The Big Short, in which case, I apologise for bringing it up again! However, for those who haven't...where have you been! The film has a star-studded cast, fantastic cinematography and editing, and a plot that only the 2007-2009 financial crisis could beat...

Plot (SPOILERS)

The plot is based of the real world events surrounding the 2007-2009 financial crisis, with some of the characters you see actually being real people. Naturally, certain aspects are fictionalised and dramatised for the purposes of Hollywood; however, it does a great job of capturing the super important, very real characteristics of the subprime mortgage crash. There are multiple subplots going on, so I'll focus on the main arc.

A hedge fund manager spots a bubble forming the the US housing market. Essentially, the banks are giving out loans for people to buy houses. However, a lot of these people really shouldn't have loans - they can't afford to pay them back. Nevertheless, the banks keep lending to these individuals because they make a killing out of packaging up these bad loans into financial products (a collateralised debt obligation, CDO, or a mortage backed security, MBS) and selling them to other investors/banks. This causes the housing market to boom and prices to rise, which fuels more confidence in the housing market, which fuels more loans to people who shouldn't have loans...you get the idea.

Okay, so, this hedge fund manager, seeing what he thinks to be this bubble, decides to bet against the housing market because, well, this bubble has got to burst at some point, and when it does, he'll make a killing. He does this by creating a financial instrument known as a credit default swap (CDS). The banks happily go into business with the manager on these CDSs because for them its easy money - "who doesn't pay their mortgage?"...

Some other people find out about the CDS, and after a bit of digging, they find that the ratings agencies are giving out ratings to these MBSs & CDOs that aren't accurate. These financial products are filled with junk and lower investment grade rated debts, but are rated as AAA by the agencies because they're in cahoots with the banks! What transpires is that everyone thinks that these AAA packages are safe, when in actuality, they're time-bombs...

Okay, so a variety of people take out these CDSs and pray that the housing market is going to go boom. And, well, it does. The world economy is shaken to its core but a select few individuals make an absolute fortune.

Benefits of Watching

To be honest, whilst The Big Short has a great plot, many people watch the film to get a better understanding of the GFC and how some derivatives can work.

The film has whole scenes dedicated to stopping the plot and explaining financial terminology and processes in an engaging and accessible way. For example, Margot Robbie is in a bathtub drinking champagne explaining frailty of MBSs, Selena Gomez explains how CDOs could affect so many people while playing blackjack, and Anthony Bourdain explains how bad debts are packaged up in CDOs while making fish stew.

The terminology might be frightning to read about, but the film goes to great lengths to explaining the concepts in ways that you'll want to never forget!

For those who are just getting into the nitty gritty of commerce/finance, there is no better place to start. After watching, you will have learnt about the GFC, debt markets, and derivatives, and have had a great time doing so. So, if you haven't watched it, or you have watched it and need a refresher, rent a copy of the film this weekend, sit back, relax and enjoy two hours of Ryan Gosling and Steve Carell.
    TBS is, and remains, one of my favourite 'will watch again and again' films. I was actually only introduced to it about 18 months ago through Uni - I was doing a Corporate Finance Law honours module and our seminar 'pre-reading' one week was to watch this film!

Its approach to 'pausing' the film and breaking down complex elements is great, makes it really accessible, and I think it was super well-acted across the board.

Also a great watch for anyone who is concerned they're not quite cynical enough... it will crush any vague hope or confidence you ever had in the system like an empty can of pepsi :oops:

Great review Neville!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    TBS is, and remains, one of my favourite 'will watch again and again' films. I was actually only introduced to it about 18 months ago through Uni - I was doing a Corporate Finance Law honours module and our seminar 'pre-reading' one week was to watch this film!

Its approach to 'pausing' the film and breaking down complex elements is great, makes it really accessible, and I think it was super well-acted across the board.

Also a great watch for anyone who is concerned they're not quite cynical enough... it will crush any vague hope or confidence you ever had in the system like an empty can of pepsi :oops:

Great review Neville!
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU ONLY FIRST WATCHED IT 18 MONTHS AGO!?!?!?!

In all seriousness, I echo both of your sentiments - it really is great at making the complex elements easy to understand (I for one didn't have a clue how/what CDOs worked/what they were and tbh am still not 100% sure haha) and think it makes the finance industry and events of 2007/2008 far more accessible to a wider audience which can only be a good thing!

PS: great work as always @Neville Birdi!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.