Commercial law vs Company law ?

LawyerInMaking

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 20, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker , @axelbeugre , need to give a preliminary choice for 3rd year LLB electives. Having a hard time understanding the difference between these two modules - company law and commercial law and figuring out which is more interesting and relevant to the work we will do as commercial solicitors in the city ?

Thank you.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker , @axelbeugre , need to give a preliminary choice for 3rd year LLB electives. Having a hard time understanding the difference between these two modules - company law and commercial law and figuring out which is more interesting and relevant to the work we will do as commercial solicitors in the city ?

Thank you.
I personally am not familiar with the semantic distinction between these two terms. I would say that they are used interchangeably most of the time. I think that the former indicates the laws governing businesses and the relevant stakeholders in them whereas the latter actually analyses law firms specifically? But I am not really sure.

Reactions: BuddingLawyer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Thank you.
Both will be directly relevant.

Company law will be more about the structure and regulations of companies - how you form them, what you need to do to keep them running etc. For instance, the duties and liabilities of directors, shareholders' rights and remedies.

Commercial law will be more about the processes around trade rather than the company structure. For instance, regulating the behaviour of people and businesses engaged in trade, commerce/e-commerce. This will cover things like consumer protections.

Given the topics, both will be very transferable to a career in corporate/commercial law. What is more interesting will be very much down to what your preferences are.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021

Thank you.
    hey im actually doing both modules for my 3rd year ahahah

company law defo so far has been focusing on shareholders, directors duties, corporate governance etc whereas commercial law is a lot more simpler, imo, its kind of like contract law in a way!I find company law a bit more challenging since it feels like a bit more of a stretch and you have to get your mind around the way companies structures work and the diff legislations whereas commercial law feels a bit easier content wise

regardless I like both cuz its v structured when it comes to exams and it works well for me because im more of a problem q type of girl but yeah I mean both will give u an insight into commercial law in a way so like Jessica said, it'll be more about where ur interests lie

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    I also did both for my 3rd year but I felt the opposite way - Company for me was significantly easier for me and I really enjoyed it, I didn't really enjoy commercial - it was mainly Party A drops the goods off on the ship, a unforeseen circumstance occurs and the goods are destroyed - does party B need to pay? Is the ship responsible? Is there insurance involved?

My grade also wasn't that high (low 2.1) in it but I scheduled a call with the lecturer and he gave me a lecture on how everyone else was doing really well and I was the issue 😭
    nooo way ahahah, although I find commercial law theoretically easier, in my most recent formatives I did way better in company law then commercial law! but my lecturer explains the content for commercial law really well whereas my company law lecturer jus reads off the slides so that kind of ruins my experience 😭 thats crazy, youre a smart egg to find company law easier im STRUGGLING rn w directors duties my brain is scrambled!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AB

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.