Competency-Based Interview Questions

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hey guys, I would really love any help/insight!

I'm really struggling with competency based interview questions. While I've had leadership/extra-curricular experiences, I can't find very amazing anecdotes to tell, regarding challenges/conflicts that arose? I have an interview in two days and my brain doesn't seem to be cooperating.

Would really be grateful for any help, pertaining to this! I have just been rehearsing my answers in front of a video camera, whilst struggling to formulate a good answer :(

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hey

I don't think the examples need to be amazing, you just have to explain what you did in a clear and easy to follow structure (STAR).

Start by going through your application/CV, pick out some of experiences you have listed and then think of a time when something did not go to plan. It doesn't have to be a catastrophe, just something that didn't go quite how you would have liked. I think it is more important to show how you dealt with the situation.

Maybe someone cancelled last minute on a project and you had to take some action? Don't underestimate your experiences!

Reactions: Alice G and Jaysen

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys, I would really love any help/insight!

I'm really struggling with competency based interview questions. While I've had leadership/extra-curricular experiences, I can't find very amazing anecdotes to tell, regarding challenges/conflicts that arose? I have an interview in two days and my brain doesn't seem to be cooperating.

Would really be grateful for any help, pertaining to this! I have just been rehearsing my answers in front of a video camera, whilst struggling to formulate a good answer :(
    I would also say that practising these too much can inadvertently make you seem quite robotic in the interview so it is ok not to be overly 'polished'. Though STAR is a good way of going about the answers, allow yourself a bit of flexibility to make it seem like you are truly articulating on the spot as this is what you would do in front of clients at the end of the day! :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have an interview coming up and one of the questions is:
    If you could change any law, what would you change and why?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Don’t over think it - pick a subject/area of law you are genuinely interested in and therefore can talk about with some level of enthusiasm/interest/knowledge. Something like this doesn’t need to be commercially focused.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.