Competing TC start dates problem - any advice?

anon32323232

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hello good people of tcla,

Basically I’ve got a problem with competing start dates, could really do with some advice. For context, I finished the PGDL this year. Essentially:

1. Firm (1) have offered me March 2023 TC start, via LPC route.
  2. Firm (2) have offered me 2023 start, but refuse to confirm until several months after I’ve signed whether it will be March or September. What’s more, if they allocate me September, I will have to do the SQE route rather than LPC. We’re allowed to state a preference on our form when we sign, but we have no power beyond that.
Both are great firms, and I would be happy with either one — but I probably would prefer Firm (2) if push came to shove. However, I’m already relatively old, have moved out of Uni & parents etc. with bills to pay, so I want to start my TC as soon as possible. Moreover, I really don’t want to do the SQE if I can avoid it, and Firm (1)’s offer guarantees that.

So I’m not sure how to play it. Grad Rec for (2) are adamant that they can’t promise me a start date before I sign. They say that, if I have compelling reasons for the March start, then I will likely get it when the allocate them a few months from now — but I’m still worried if I sign I will get screwed over by the later start date. Any tips?

Thanks, and apologies for the convoluted question.

M&A

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Oct 5, 2019
In your position I would ask myself whether your slight preference for Firm 2 outweighs the worst case scenario with that firm. If the answer to that is yes, then take the risk and worst case scenario may not happen, if no, I wouldn't and enjoy your peace of mind.

In case I'm not clear, do you still rate Firm 2 better if you factor in a September start and SQE?

The other option is to be direct with GR and tell them you have another offer with a different firm that you will take unless they assure you XYZ. And wait for their response. They may not be generally in a position to give assurances to everyone but perhaps in your case if you express it as a dealbreaker they may.

In any event, you are in a fantastic position being able to choose between two firms you like, so congratulations!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello good people of tcla,

Basically I’ve got a problem with competing start dates, could really do with some advice. For context, I finished the PGDL this year. Essentially:

1. Firm (1) have offered me March 2023 TC start, via LPC route.
  2. Firm (2) have offered me 2023 start, but refuse to confirm until several months after I’ve signed whether it will be March or September. What’s more, if they allocate me September, I will have to do the SQE route rather than LPC. We’re allowed to state a preference on our form when we sign, but we have no power beyond that.
Both are great firms, and I would be happy with either one — but I probably would prefer Firm (2) if push came to shove. However, I’m already relatively old, have moved out of Uni & parents etc. with bills to pay, so I want to start my TC as soon as possible. Moreover, I really don’t want to do the SQE if I can avoid it, and Firm (1)’s offer guarantees that.

So I’m not sure how to play it. Grad Rec for (2) are adamant that they can’t promise me a start date before I sign. They say that, if I have compelling reasons for the March start, then I will likely get it when the allocate them a few months from now — but I’m still worried if I sign I will get screwed over by the later start date. Any tips?

Thanks, and apologies for the convoluted question.
If GR are adamant that they can’t promise you anything, then it seems the decision can be simplified down to whether you are willing to start a SQE training contract in September with a firm you prefer over a the firm that can guarantee you a LPC TC in March.

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
I’m sure you’ve made your decision by now, but for what it’s worth I had a sort of similar situation. Firm A offered me the start date I wanted (similar position to you- I’m working and living in London so want to get going ASAP) and firm B told me that they couldn’t confirm an earlier start date until after I had signed and this might not be until a few months later and even then it wasn’t guaranteed. I explained my situation to them and they were adamant on the phone that they’d do their best but couldn’t guarantee. I sent an email where I politely reiterated the situation and explained that I had an earlier state date offer from firm A and they replied saying they could bring me forward!
I know it’s totally dependent on the firm and their capacity, and I thought hard about sending my email as I didn’t want to come across as cheeky/like I wasn’t listening to them saying they couldn’t confirm for a while. But for me it worked and I signed with firm B and it feels great!

• 🏆
Reactions: M&A

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.