Could someone please explain what's meant by the terms B2B and B2C law firms?

folklor3

Standard Member
Feb 3, 2023
I am researching material for TC applications and I came across these terms in a Law Society report. I understand that they stand for 'Business-to-Business' and 'Business-to-Consumer'.. but what does that actually mean in practice? Could someone very kindly break it down in the simplest terms! Would greatly appreciate it!

Will Jones

Jun 5, 2020
Sure - B2C would be a business that gets hired by individuals (e.g. a no-win/no-fee personal injury law firm) while B2B would be a business that gets hired by other businesses (e.g. Kirkland & Ellis is unlikely to act for individuals and mostly acts for corporates). It's easier to make this distinction for businesses though more than law firms... for example McDonalds sells food to individuals (B2C), while Workday sells HR software to businesses (B2B)

folklor3

Standard Member
Feb 3, 2023
Sure - B2C would be a business that gets hired by individuals (e.g. a no-win/no-fee personal injury law firm) while B2B would be a business that gets hired by other businesses (e.g. Kirkland & Ellis is unlikely to act for individuals and mostly acts for corporates). It's easier to make this distinction for businesses though more than law firms... for example McDonalds sells food to individuals (B2C), while Workday sells HR software to businesses (B2B)
Ah understood! Thanks for such a helpful explanation :)

Reactions: Will Jones

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.