CV Length

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
Just a question regarding those firms that require you to submit a CV. Is it better to have a one page CV or 2? I'd drafted one of 2 pages, but sent it to my careers advisor at uni and she insisted it had to be 1...

Looking for any advice on the matter!

Thanks!

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Just a question regarding those firms that require you to submit a CV. Is it better to have a one page CV or 2? I'd drafted one of 2 pages, but sent it to my careers advisor at uni and she insisted it had to be 1...

Looking for any advice on the matter!

Thanks!

I would say 2 pages!

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I’d say it depends on what stage you’re at and how much you have to put on.
Two pages is accepted everywhere and I’ve never ever heard it’s not. So two is fine unless the firm (not careers adviser!) itself sets out any requirements.
The only caveat I’d put is that there’s no point having a two page CV for the sake of it. Be critical. If it can be condensed into one page, then make sure it is. Perhaps this is what the adviser meant.
Make sure it’s spaced out and not all squeezed into one page though. Take out refs/use the whole line/play around with spacing
A concise well structured one page cv will come across much better than a two page cv, which is just spaced out for the sake of making up two pages.

• 🏆
Reactions: Salma

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
I’d say it depends on what stage you’re at and how much you have to put on.
Two pages is accepted everywhere and I’ve never ever heard it’s not. So two is fine unless the firm (not careers adviser!) itself sets out any requirements.
The only caveat I’d put is that there’s no point having a two page CV for the sake of it. Be critical. If it can be condensed into one page, then make sure it is. Perhaps this is what the adviser meant.
Make sure it’s spaced out and not all squeezed into one page though. Take out refs/use the whole line/play around with spacing
A concise well structured one page cv will come across much better than a two page cv, which is just spaced out for the sake of making up two pages.

Thank you! I have a lot of work experience as I've worked since I was about 17, but naturally not all of that is relevant. My main concern was including extra-curriculars. But you make a very good point

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
You should always limit to your CV to two pages.

Here are my top tips on a drafting a CV:

1. State your most recent experience (nothing later than three years)
2. Ensure that you highlight accomplishments and not responsibilities. Avoid using generic language such as 'I proofread contracts' - proof reading isn't really an achievement.
3. Focus on why that task was important and don't just suggest 'contracts' - provide specific details what type of contract was it for? what was the deal value? What industry was the client from? (If you can't mention a specific client's name for confidentiality agreement.
4. Get as many people as possible to review your CV. Any and all kinds of feedback is helpful.
5. Prioritise structure, alignment and grammar.
6. Leave a 1 inch margin on all sides of the CV. Recruiters like to see a bit of white space on the CV.
7. Don't waffle in your CV. Use short sentences (nothing more than 20 words). Recruiters prefer CVs that contain less than 1300 words. 1100 words is ideal if you are at the early stage of your career.
8. If you are discussing your extra-curricular experience, state specific achievements too. Don't just state that you managed a society, discuss your role and provide tangible results if and where possible.
9. If you have an up to date LinkedIn profile, include a LinkedIn URL in your CV.
10. Include interests and hobbies if possible. This is a great way to demonstrate your personality.

yanerlim

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2018
I have compacted my CV into 1 page, but if you make it 2 pages, make sure the presentation is good (no cut offs between the first and second page and that the second page ends competely at the bottom) I don't know how true it regarding presentations, but I have been told alot that CVs need to be clean, concise and to the point. So if you can put it all in a page, that's best?

Reactions: Naomi

yanerlim

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2018
You should always limit to your CV to two pages.

Here are my top tips on a drafting a CV:

1. State your most recent experience (nothing later than three years)
2. Ensure that you highlight accomplishments and not responsibilities. Avoid using generic language such as 'I proofread contracts' - proof reading isn't really an achievement.
3. Focus on why that task was important and don't just suggest 'contracts' - provide specific details what type of contract was it for? what was the deal value? What industry was the client from? (If you can't mention a specific client's name for confidentiality agreement.
4. Get as many people as possible to review your CV. Any and all kinds of feedback is helpful.
5. Prioritise structure, alignment and grammar.
6. Leave a 1 inch margin on all sides of the CV. Recruiters like to see a bit of white space on the CV.
7. Don't waffle in your CV. Use short sentences (nothing more than 20 words). Recruiters prefer CVs that contain less than 1300 words. 1100 words is ideal if you are at the early stage of your career.
8. If you are discussing your extra-curricular experience, state specific achievements too. Don't just state that you managed a society, discuss your role and provide tangible results if and where possible.
9. If you have an up to date LinkedIn profile, include a LinkedIn URL in your CV.
10. Include interests and hobbies if possible. This is a great way to demonstrate your personality.

Something I want to add, add language skills if you are multilingual.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.