hiremeplz

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 20, 2022
Apologies if this type of post comes up often, but I am looking for some advice on my current situation (which I'm sure many others have also experienced!).

I'm a career changer (approaching 30) and I am entering my last year of an accelerated LLB at a non-London based Russell Group uni. I am keen to start this next chapter of my life as a commercial solicitor in London and began applying for direct TC's this past summer, completing 12 applications in total. I have a pretty strong background, having worked in finance, strong extra-curriculars, as well as having achieved a 1st this past year. However, my educational background before this is a little complicated (I can DM information if need be). Despite all of this, I've only gotten PFO's (with some WG invites sprinkled in). I'm still waiting to hear from a few more firms but needless to say I'm panicking that I won't secure a TC for 2024.

I was wondering what my options are if this IS the case and what types of things I can now do to continue to work towards a career as a commercial solicitor. Are there still TC applications open for 2024 start? If not, is it possible to apply for 2025 TC and request an earlier start date? If I apply for vacation schemes for this winter/spring/summer is it possible to turn that into a TC for 2024? Or is it advisable to self-fund the SQE? Otherwise should I apply for paralegal roles? and if so, when?

My biggest concern is time; my partner and I want to start a family as soon as possible therefore I don't necessarily have the luxury of waiting another 2 or 3 cycles to secure a TC, or spending years paralegal-ing (like more traditional students).

I would love to hear if any of you have any advice for the above, or if anyone has been in a similar situation!

@Jessica Booker @Jaysen

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Apologies if this type of post comes up often, but I am looking for some advice on my current situation (which I'm sure many others have also experienced!).

I'm a career changer (approaching 30) and I am entering my last year of an accelerated LLB at a non-London based Russell Group uni. I am keen to start this next chapter of my life as a commercial solicitor in London and began applying for direct TC's this past summer, completing 12 applications in total. I have a pretty strong background, having worked in finance, strong extra-curriculars, as well as having achieved a 1st this past year. However, my educational background before this is a little complicated (I can DM information if need be). Despite all of this, I've only gotten PFO's (with some WG invites sprinkled in). I'm still waiting to hear from a few more firms but needless to say I'm panicking that I won't secure a TC for 2024.

I was wondering what my options are if this IS the case and what types of things I can now do to continue to work towards a career as a commercial solicitor. Are there still TC applications open for 2024 start? If not, is it possible to apply for 2025 TC and request an earlier start date? If I apply for vacation schemes for this winter/spring/summer is it possible to turn that into a TC for 2024? Or is it advisable to self-fund the SQE? Otherwise should I apply for paralegal roles? and if so, when?

My biggest concern is time; my partner and I want to start a family as soon as possible therefore I don't necessarily have the luxury of waiting another 2 or 3 cycles to secure a TC, or spending years paralegal-ing (like more traditional students).

I would love to hear if any of you have any advice for the above, or if anyone has been in a similar situation!

@Jessica Booker @Jaysen
For TCs, having strong extra-curriculars, grades and work experience is important, but it often boils down to how convincingly you have expressed your motivations for a career in commercial law and at the firm in your application forms. Maybe this is something you could review?

You could request an earlier start date for sure, but its depends on whether the firms has capacity. In my experience, I have seen early start date requests being fulfilled at firms with large trainee intakes (think 70+) as the larger group sizes possibly allow for more flexibility in moving people around. Not that these requests aren't fulfilled at firms with smaller intakes! It's just something you can keep in mind and ask a firm about when you network with them.

There are some smaller, regional law firms that recruit trainees within a year, but it depends on whether these fit what you're looking for.

Reactions: Scandi

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@AvniD has provided some great advice above.

Here is a list of firms recruiting for 2024 with deadlines still coming up:

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Also if you want to discuss the complicated academics, please feel free to PM me.

On the face of it, I suspect this may be more about how you are writing applications more than your academics though. This could be how you are describing your motivations or more of the written style. That's an assumption though!

• 🤝

hiremeplz

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 20, 2022
For TCs, having strong extra-curriculars, grades and work experience is important, but it often boils down to how convincingly you have expressed your motivations for a career in commercial law and at the firm in your application forms. Maybe this is something you could review?

You could request an earlier start date for sure, but its depends on whether the firms has capacity. In my experience, I have seen early start date requests being fulfilled at firms with large trainee intakes (think 70+) as the larger group sizes possibly allow for more flexibility in moving people around. Not that these requests aren't fulfilled at firms with smaller intakes! It's just something you can keep in mind and ask a firm about when you network with them.

There are some smaller, regional law firms that recruit trainees within a year, but it depends on whether these fit what you're looking for.
Makes total sense. Thanks for your response! I am actually participating in a mentoring scheme and I had my mentor look over my applications before I sent them in. This wasn't something that he highlighted in his feedback. Maybe I should have someone else look over my applications in case my motivations were not clear enough.

Otherwise do you know if individuals who participate in upcoming winter vacation schemes would have the opportunity to interview for 2024 training contracts (or would it be for those in 2025)?

Thanks so much again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Makes total sense. Thanks for your response! I am actually participating in a mentoring scheme and I had my mentor look over my applications before I sent them in. This wasn't something that he highlighted in his feedback. Maybe I should have someone else look over my applications in case my motivations were not clear enough.

Otherwise do you know if individuals who participate in upcoming winter vacation schemes would have the opportunity to interview for 2024 training contracts (or would it be for those in 2025)?

Thanks so much again!
It will depend on what intakes the firm is recruiting for in this cycle. If they are advertising 2024 TC opportunities, then VS'ers can be considered for them. If its 2025, its most likely going to be those opportunities instead.

If you are offered a 2025 TC, sometimes firms operate waiting lists to move trainees' start dates back and forward, so you may find you can at least state your preference for starting earlier to them, and then if an opportunity arises, you may find yourself able to bring your start date forward.

hiremeplz

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 20, 2022
Also if you want to discuss the complicated academics, please feel free to PM me.

On the face of it, I suspect this may be more about how you are writing applications more than your academics though. This could be how you are describing your motivations or more of the written style. That's an assumption though!
Thanks so much for the link above Jessica! I mentioned in my comment to @AvniD but I had my mentor read over my applications and he gave them the okay before I submitted them. In which case maybe I need to have someone else look them over?

Moreover I’m worried maybe I misconstrued my previous academics section of the application- I’m going to DM you the details if that’s okay!

Aside from looking over my applications, what do you suggest I focus on to ensure I’m on the path to receive a TC soon after graduation?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks so much for the link above Jessica! I mentioned in my comment to @AvniD but I had my mentor read over my applications and he gave them the okay before I submitted them. In which case maybe I need to have someone else look them over?

Moreover I’m worried maybe I misconstrued my previous academics section of the application- I’m going to DM you the details if that’s okay!

Aside from looking over my applications, what do you suggest I focus on to ensure I’m on the path to receive a TC soon after graduation?
I'll be honest, not all mentors are always the best at providing feedback (some are truly amazing at it at the same time though!) It's great that you have had someone look over applications, but I would be cautious to assume just because someone else has checked it that it still hits either the motivational aspects or written style aspects well.

It may be that your academics are being misconstrued at the same time though - happy to discuss further via PM.

It sounds slightly flippant, but I think you just have to keep at it. If this is your first cycle of applying and you are only 12 applications in, it's still very early stages. I suspect if you just continue at it success will come at some point in the near future.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
As Jessica said, people who have been lawyers for a few years may not be the best people to look over applications.

The reviewing service of this community is really good - I would recommend getting TCLA to read over your next few applications.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

Thanks so much again!
When I was making applications, the best advice I got on my writing came from my family, my careers service at uni and TCLA. I only ever got a few applications reviewed by TCLA and the careers service, and the advice I received really did alter my perspective, but I ran every single one past my family because only they knew my tone and could tell where I was coming off as inauthentic or where my writing was lacking. You could try this as well!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

hiremeplz

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 20, 2022
As Jessica said, people who have been lawyers for a few years may not be the best people to look over applications.

The reviewing service of this community is really good - I would recommend getting TCLA to read over your next few applications.
Makes total sense. Are you able to point me in the right direction to get my application reviewed within TCLA? Is this a premium service, etc.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.