Difficult group dynamics in group exercises at AC

kalagsd

Jun 7, 2023
Hi all,

I’m interested to know if anyone has any experience or advice for managing a difficult group dynamic during a group exercise.

I recently attended an assessment centre and was in a very small group for the discussion. One of the people in my group was talking extensively about their ideas/commercial knowledge, the other was a bit more reserved but still contributed.

The thing I found difficult was that when they were not contributing an idea, they sat there looking at me, almost waiting for some direction or for me to add structure to the task. To the point where there were awkward silences.

I am slightly worried about how this dynamic would affect my performance in the exercise, because I don’t want to have come across negatively when needing to add structure to the task.

For example, even when I referred back to the brief to ensure we had actually covered what we were being asked to, they just nodded, without saying words, or didn’t even react at all. It made it feel more one-sided. I am struggling with that post-AC self criticism.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I’m interested to know if anyone has any experience or advice for managing a difficult group dynamic during a group exercise.

I recently attended an assessment centre and was in a very small group for the discussion. One of the people in my group was talking extensively about their ideas/commercial knowledge, the other was a bit more reserved but still contributed.

The thing I found difficult was that when they were not contributing an idea, they sat there looking at me, almost waiting for some direction or for me to add structure to the task. To the point where there were awkward silences.

I am slightly worried about how this dynamic would affect my performance in the exercise, because I don’t want to have come across negatively when needing to add structure to the task.

For example, even when I referred back to the brief to ensure we had actually covered what we were being asked to, they just nodded, without saying words, or didn’t even react at all. It made it feel more one-sided. I am struggling with that post-AC self criticism.
If there were awkward silences, were you then contributing your thoughts/ideas?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, Jessica

Yes so I used these opportunities to refocus us back to the brief and go through it like a check list, ensuring we had reached conclusions on the factors we were asked to discuss
Then I think you have done the right things. You are only going to be assessed on what you did, rather than what others did, and so even when dynamics are great, you can score well as it’s much more about how you deal with those awkward moments rather than them actually happening.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hey @kalagsd

Oh, do I understand those post-AC self-criticisms! But seriously, well done for being on the other side of the AC!

I had the reverse experience once. During a negotiation group exercise, one of my team members took it upon themselves to talk about my main conversation area. For context, in our group, we split our areas of discussion into three. So, this would have left me with little to nothing to say. As this exercise took place over Zoom, I couldn't even slip them a note. I knew it would reflect poorly on me if I didn't speak up so I had to find a way to raise to everyone's attention that it was, in fact, my turn to speak without looking bombastic. I raised my voice up (with as much politeness as I could) and I remember very sensitively detailing that I believe X person might want to talk about that at the end and then starting that section over. That person proceeded to then speak over our other team member - the audacity!

I was terrified this would reflect poorly on me given that I technically spoke over them, but thankfully it didn't and I was successful in that particular application.

In fact, the person in question was not offered anything after that exercise.

What I realised is that graduate recruitment and the other lawyers involved in these group exercises are very observant - of course, they need to be in order to review applications thoroughly and choose the right people for their firm. If something goes array, more often than not they will understand what has happened and will not penalise you as long as you rectify the situation with both politeness and due respect for your peers (indeed, in those scenarios they are normally your fellow colleagues and clients!). It will be clear who does and does not show those attributes.

Hope this helps in some way! Do reply in this thread if you have any other questions.

Laura :)

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.