Disatisfied with the multitude of advice there has been

Jaked

Jul 16, 2021
I graduated in 2020 on the LL.M QLD (full time) whilst working full time as a paralegal. Midway through my studies, I was made homeless and disowned my own family. Needless to say, this affected my grades and my self esteem when it comes to training contract applications. I have spent the better part of 3 years, building up experience but also exploring opinions as per my situation - what chances I have and so on. As the title suggests, I have been recommended everything from taking the SQE to doing Cilex. This is despite there being others in a similar situation being given encouragement when it comes to the LPC and securing a training contract.

I do not understand why I am not a good candidate for TCs, why there are not suitable routes to becoming a solicitor that do not involve saving up lots of money (surviving being homeless does not serve as a good basis for this, neither does the damage to one's mental health). I need someone to go through it with me and give me a definitive answer, because I do not intend to give despite the disparaging and superficial attitude take towards my circumstances in paqrticular. If anyone would be willing to offer any advice on advancing my applications I would appreciate it a lot.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I wouldn’t advise anyone (no matter what their circumstances, background or profile) to do the LPC now unless they are applying to 2024 training contract opportunities.

From 2025, the vast majority of the applicant pool will only be able to do the SQE and so most firms are moving to that model for their 2025 intakes. Considering many firms are now recruiting for 2026 or 2027 opportunities this cycle, I would expect most people will go forward for SQE training contracts.

Therefore if you are being told to go down the SQE that is a suitable route as it’s replacing the LPC qualification system.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I graduated in 2020 on the LL.M QLD (full time) whilst working full time as a paralegal. Midway through my studies, I was made homeless and disowned my own family. Needless to say, this affected my grades and my self esteem when it comes to training contract applications. I have spent the better part of 3 years, building up experience but also exploring opinions as per my situation - what chances I have and so on. As the title suggests, I have been recommended everything from taking the SQE to doing Cilex. This is despite there being others in a similar situation being given encouragement when it comes to the LPC and securing a training contract.

I do not understand why I am not a good candidate for TCs, why there are not suitable routes to becoming a solicitor that do not involve saving up lots of money (surviving being homeless does not serve as a good basis for this, neither does the damage to one's mental health). I need someone to go through it with me and give me a definitive answer, because I do not intend to give despite the disparaging and superficial attitude take towards my circumstances in paqrticular. If anyone would be willing to offer any advice on advancing my applications I would appreciate it a lot.
Hey @Jaked,

I am so sorry for what happened to you during your LLM and I cannot even imagine the stress and anxiety you had to go through ever since what happened. I command your resilience and hard work for getting through such a difficult situation which not many would have been able to overcome like you did.

I am also sorry for the pieces of advice you have received which have disappointed you. I understand that the advice given is very subjective sometimes, and it does not take into account people's personal circumstances.

I just want to give you some motivation and also some reassurance regarding being a ''good candidate''. You certainly are a good candidate and the resilience you have shown, and keep showing, are qualities that all law firms want in their future trainees. I would invite you to reflect on your application strategy, the quality of your answers, your ability to successfully pass online tests and assessments, and your interview skills. Furthermore, I would also interact and talk to a lot of future trainees at the firm you are interested in to understand what they did to be successful. I genuinely believe that you are a good candidate, most of the time, it comes down to a wrong application strategy or simply bad luck. Unfortunately, luck plays a huge part in this process, so never forget this. And never give up on your dreams. I understand that it might be hard but I am sure that your resilience will eventually pay off.

In terms of advising you on which path to take now, I would totally agree with @ Jessica Booker advice. I think it is important for you to take the SQE from now on as the LPC is not accepted anymore.

I hope that helps and please, interact with this forum as people are more than happy to help.

Good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.