Disclosing engagement/marital status in cover letter

Ernote182

Sep 30, 2020
Hi,

this might be a strange question:

I am applying to a law firm abroad and wonder whether disclosing personal information such as engagement or marital status with a person of that country is something that I can put in my cover letter? As an example, mentioning something along the line of “Due to my Klingon fiancé, I am well aware of the Klingon culture ...”.

I am quite torn and not sure whether this is totally irrelevant and perhaps unprofessional or whether it could highlight to the recruiters that I am aware of the country's culture, especially given that it is a country with culture rather different from the UK one.

Thanks for any input!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi,

I am applying to a law firm abroad and wonder whether disclosing personal information such as engagement or marital status with a person of that country is something that I can put in my cover letter? As an example, mentioning something along the line of “Due to my Klingon fiancé, I am well aware of the Klingon culture ...”.

I am quite torn and not sure whether this is totally irrelevant and perhaps unprofessional or whether it could highlight to the recruiters that I am aware of the country's culture, especially given that it is a country with culture rather different from the UK one.

Thanks for any input!
I personally wouldn’t say this is too personal to write into a cover letter and it is a very genuine reason behind your application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

Thanks for any input!

You can say partner rather than being engaged or martial status. Firms can be a bit cautious of personal information like this, not because of what status you are, but because they don't want it on applications (they don't want any claims for discrimination - same reason they don't want your age spelt out to them).

• ℹ️
Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.