Distinguishing experiences in TC Personal Statement to those listed as'Work Experience'

HWalke

Mar 21, 2019
Hi all!

- Apologies if this query is a repeat -

I'm currently drafting a Personal Statement (max 500 words) for a TC Application. Obviously from reading previous threads, this is where your skills and experiences are outlined, however I'm conscious that most applications have a 'Work History/Experience' section which allows you to detail your positions of responsibility within the role etc. As most of my skills come from legal based work experience, how would I avoid repetition?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
What is the precise question behind the personal statement? Or is it literally just a blank box/pls insert cover letter type?

Hi all!

I'm currently drafting a Personal Statement (max 500 words) for a TC Application. Obviously from reading previous threads, this is where your skills and experiences are outlined, however I'm conscious that most applications have a 'Work History/Experience' section which allows you to detail your positions of responsibility within the role etc. As most of my skills come from legal based work experience, how would I avoid repetition?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah

Reactions: Jaysen

Amanda

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
Hi all!

Thanks in advance!

Hannah

Hi I asked a similar question on here. My advice would be to focus on the skills you have picked up from your work experience/extra curricular for the personal statement part. For the Work experience section outline your role and what you achieved.There may be some overlap in what you have done, but what you say about each task should be different.

Hope that helps :D

HWalke

Mar 21, 2019
Hi I asked a similar question on here. My advice would be to focus on the skills you have picked up from your work experience/extra curricular for the personal statement part. For the Work experience section outline your role and what you achieved.There may be some overlap in what you have done, but what you say about each task should be different.

Hope that helps :D

Great that's super helpful thank you Amanda! :)

Reactions: Amanda

HWalke

Mar 21, 2019
What is the precise question behind the personal statement? Or is it literally just a blank box/pls insert cover letter type?

Hi AJ,

Thanks for responding, apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

For one application the question is a blank box style.

However, for another application the question is:

"Please provide a personal statement explaining why you would like to pursue a career with _____."

I suppose here I'd be using my skills and experiences to explain why i'd be a good fit with the firm? There's probably going to be less chance of repetition here.

Thanks!

Hannah

Kelvin

Apr 14, 2019

"Please provide a personal statement explaining why you would like to pursue a career with _____."

I suppose here I'd be using my skills and experiences to explain why i'd be a good fit with the firm? There's probably going to be less chance of repetition here.
Hey,

Here I think is where you should really utilise your work experiences in many ways: i) to help explain why you want a career in commercial law (e.g. you could mention experience with IPO prospectuses and how they require an understanding of business to appeal to potential investors and why this appeals to you), ii) to illustrate specific skills you learned (typically one part of answering this question is about your skillset and how it matches that of a good commercial lawyer - examples of tasks you completed, what you learned from them/skills you displayed and why those skills are important for lawyers would be a good addition in my opinion), etc.

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi AJ,

Thanks for responding, apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

For one application the question is a blank box style.

Thanks!

Hannah

For the blank box, I'd personally structure it like a cover letter (despite the repetition). And then the work exp section detail all employment/work exp (again).

For the "Please provide a personal statement explaining why you would like to pursue a career with _____.", yes I agree. If it were me, I'd focus on why firm x and not firm y. Perhaps even why law at that firm. The key being tailor your experience to those two questions. But then yes repeating your work exp in a more prescriptive list in the work history section.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.