Work Experience Section Word Count

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I'm currently in the process of filling in the work experience section for a firm, and they give a 250 max word limit for each one.

I have 9 experiences. Most of them are around the 120-150 word count, while others are in the 75-100 range. Will firms look negatively on not using up as much of the word count as possible? I want to try and be concise and not waffle unnecessarily but am also conscious of potentially selling myself short.

Moreover, I'm leaving out extracurriculars from this section as don't think it classifies as work experience, but what would the position be on networking events? For instance, I was selected to attend Bright Network's Top 100 Year Lawyers event a few years back; is this something to include in this section or better to link later on with "why commercial law?" or similar application questions?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm currently in the process of filling in the work experience section for a firm, and they give a 250 max word limit for each one.

I have 9 experiences. Most of them are around the 120-150 word count, while others are in the 75-100 range. Will firms look negatively on not using up as much of the word count as possible? I want to try and be concise and not waffle unnecessarily but am also conscious of potentially selling myself short.

Moreover, I'm leaving out extracurriculars from this section as don't think it classifies as work experience, but what would the position be on networking events? For instance, I was selected to attend Bright Network's Top 100 Year Lawyers event a few years back; is this something to include in this section or better to link later on with "why commercial law?" or similar application questions?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I wouldn’t put networking events in work experience but as you have said have included them elsewhere.

The length of work experience entries typically depends on:

- length of role
- variety of responsibilities
- complexity of responsibilities

A relatively standard waitressing job probably doesn’t need all 250 words, neither does a 1 day open day.

However, for roles that have been done for a long period of time, or a lot of different responsibilities or where you can highlight your impact/success in the role, then I would try to aim to at least 75% of the word limit you have been given.

Reactions: laby201

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I wouldn’t put networking events in work experience but as you have said have included them elsewhere.

- length of role

A relatively standard waitressing job probably doesn’t need all 250 words, neither does a 1 day open day.

However, for roles that have been done for a long period of time, or a lot of different responsibilities or where you can highlight your impact/success in the role, then I would try to aim to at least 75% of the word limit you have been given.
That's great, thanks for the reply :)

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021

- length of role

Hi Jessica,

As an additional query, what is the stance on mentioning experiences from the work experiences section within application questions?

For example, one reason I want to enter commercial law is because I enjoy legal problem solving, which is evidenced through my work as a paralegal. If I outline in my work experience section my duties as a paralegal, would you avoid repeating this within a "why commercial law" answer? I'm putting I "receive claims and outline liability and quantum" in my work experience section and was going to put "I am attracted to commercial law because I enjoy legal problem solving. In my role as a paralegal, I have to assess liability of certain claims..."

Would this be advisable?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi Jessica,

As an additional query, what is the stance on mentioning experiences from the work experiences section within application questions?

For example, one reason I want to enter commercial law is because I enjoy legal problem solving, which is evidenced through my work as a paralegal. If I outline in my work experience section my duties as a paralegal, would you avoid repeating this within a "why commercial law" answer? I'm putting I "receive claims and outline liability and quantum" in my work experience section and was going to put "I am attracted to commercial law because I enjoy legal problem solving. In my role as a paralegal, I have to assess liability of certain claims..."

Would this be advisable?
Yes, definitely, I would say that this works really well and it is recommended!

This is because only through mentioning tangible experiences you are able to successfully and genuinely conveying why you are interested in commercial law, or in a specific law firms.

The main difference between the work experience section and mentioning a work experience in an answer is that if the former, you are merely describing what you have done during the experience and the skills that you have gained. In the latter, you are able to reflect on the experiences and say what you have learned from it and what it taught you, which is very valuable for an answer in an application.

I hope this helps and good luck with the cycle! @laby201

Reactions: laby201

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Yes, definitely, I would say that this works really well and it is recommended!

This is because only through mentioning tangible experiences you are able to successfully and genuinely conveying why you are interested in commercial law, or in a specific law firms.

The main difference between the work experience section and mentioning a work experience in an answer is that if the former, you are merely describing what you have done during the experience and the skills that you have gained. In the latter, you are able to reflect on the experiences and say what you have learned from it and what it taught you, which is very valuable for an answer in an application.

I hope this helps and good luck with the cycle! @laby201
Thank you @axelbeugre, all your advice has been very appreciated!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.