Do law firms look for perfection?

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
I've recently had an AC and I'm waiting to hear back but I can't help but pick out and overanalyse all the mistakes I made. There were good moments, but I feel like the bad moments are going to overweigh and leave me with that PFO.

I often wonder why would they choose me if there's someone who is close to perfection and that's how I often feel both going into interviews and afterwards :(

• 🤝
Reactions: LawStudent2000 and djqb

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Rather than perfection, what law firms look for is self-aware, capable and authentic candidates with a demonstrable interest in a career in commercial law. Rounding this off as 'perfection' makes a highly complex and considered process of selection seem simplistic. Your luck and the information you have at hand about the intricacies of the recruitment process are also contributing factors to your resilience and eventual success. So instead of overanalysing your mistakes, the best you can do is try and grow from every application you make, learn as much as you can about the recruitment process and training contracts and make yourself stand out by finding your USP and working hard at your commercial awareness- the rest is simply out of your hands.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've recently had an AC and I'm waiting to hear back but I can't help but pick out and overanalyse all the mistakes I made. There were good moments, but I feel like the bad moments are going to overweigh and leave me with that PFO.

I often wonder why would they choose me if there's someone who is close to perfection and that's how I often feel both going into interviews and afterwards :(
Perfection doesn’t exist. If firms are looking for it, they are going to really struggle to do anything, let alone recruit people!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.