Drafting Assessment anxiety question

AnxiousGal

Jul 6, 2022
Hi, I just did my drafting assessment, and it was only 3 pages(the context was litigation/contentious claims). The example answers were also around 3-4 pages, and for me, I did 3 pages(just about though). I know you'd rather be concise than overly waffle, but I'm worried if this is short.

More importantly, do you have to be very accurate/persuasive regarding the law/legal basis? or is it more like interview assessment where they care more about your drafting skills. I tried to follow the client instructions, but as you may know, sometimes it makes creating a convincing argument(from a legal POV) slightly diffuclt since you have to balance the two.

Really anxious right now:(:(. Any advice would be appreciate. For what it is worth, I did enjoy the drafting task, I'm just wondering how relatively easy/hard it is to pass drafting.

AnxiousGal

Jul 6, 2022
Secondly, building up from my post, is it more about crafting a legal perspectives/persuasion, or at least, explaining your thoughts/processes, rather than being full on right from a point of law..

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi, I just did my drafting assessment, and it was only 3 pages(the context was litigation/contentious claims). The example answers were also around 3-4 pages, and for me, I did 3 pages(just about though). I know you'd rather be concise than overly waffle, but I'm worried if this is short.

More importantly, do you have to be very accurate/persuasive regarding the law/legal basis? or is it more like interview assessment where they care more about your drafting skills. I tried to follow the client instructions, but as you may know, sometimes it makes creating a convincing argument(from a legal POV) slightly diffuclt since you have to balance the two.

Really anxious right now:(:(. Any advice would be appreciate. For what it is worth, I did enjoy the drafting task, I'm just wondering how relatively easy/hard it is to pass drafting.
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling anxious. Have you spoken to your tutors about this?

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019

Doesn't sound like there is anything to be stressed about. 3 pages when the example is 4 is not a big difference. They will be testing your drafting skills not how persuasive you are. You want to be accurate but if it is all in the right format you should be fine. Have you had a look at the criteria they look for? That might reassure you if you can tick off some of the stuff. Good luck

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.