Employer references

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
Hi!

A company that I really want to work for has asked for 2 employment references.
I have been involved in a number of things but they were most voluntary or brand ambassador things which have already told me that in a 100 people cohort they will not provide anyone with a reference.

The only places I really worked for were M&S in 2020 (but the manager got fired as a result of COVID) and agency last year but that was only for 2 weeks and I was sent off to work on sites, so I don't suppose they know me very well.

It looks like I only have one reference with a place where I have been volunteering for more than a year.

I don't really know what to do?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi!

A company that I really want to work for has asked for 2 employment references.
I have been involved in a number of things but they were most voluntary or brand ambassador things which have already told me that in a 100 people cohort they will not provide anyone with a reference.

The only places I really worked for were M&S in 2020 (but the manager got fired as a result of COVID) and agency last year but that was only for 2 weeks and I was sent off to work on sites, so I don't suppose they know me very well.

It looks like I only have one reference with a place where I have been volunteering for more than a year.

I don't really know what to do?
I wouldn’t worry about this - you will have two references to use (M&S and the agency).

You don’t need to know anyone well for a reference. Most employers will just provide a standard reference that confirms your dates of employment and your job title. For a company like M&S that will be very standardised (same for the recruitment agency).

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
I wouldn’t worry about this - you will have two references to use (M&S and the agency).

You don’t need to know anyone well for a reference. Most employers will just provide a standard reference that confirms your dates of employment and your job title. For a company like M&S that will be very standardised (same for the recruitment agency).
Thank you so much @Jessica Booker !
I managed to find a written reference from M&S in my inbox.

But, I have a slight issue in dates.
I worked there Feb 2019- Feb 2020, kind of officially left for Uni in September (2019) but on my CV I put March 2020 as I worked there every weekend I went back home, winter break etc. My last shift was just before the first lockdown.

Now however, the dates on the reference do not match what I put on my CV. I just never thought about it.
Is this detrimental? Can I explain it?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much @Jessica Booker !
I managed to find a written reference from M&S in my inbox.

But, I have a slight issue in dates.
I worked there Feb 2019- Feb 2020, kind of officially left for Uni in September (2019) but on my CV I put March 2020 as I worked there every weekend I went back home, winter break etc. My last shift was just before the first lockdown.

Now however, the dates on the reference do not match what I put on my CV. I just never thought about it.
Is this detrimental? Can I explain it?
They won’t ask for a copy of a reference you have. They will go directly to M&S for this. I would speak to M&S and see why there is a discrepancy in the dates if you were employed there until 2020.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.