Feeling Lost

EVjuji

Valued Member
Nov 29, 2019
So I had an interview last week for a vac scheme, and got a rejection today. I'm feeling lost and dejected because I thought it went so well, only to get this result. I feel like I have good experience, I got a 1st class, and work hard on my applications and interview prep. Just not sure where to go from here.
I am so sorry to hear this. Some people apply for over 4 years just to get an interview.
Just remember that the process is very competitive

😘

TCdreamer97

Oct 24, 2021
So I had an interview last week for a vac scheme, and got a rejection today. I'm feeling lost and dejected because I thought it went so well, only to get this result. I feel like I have good experience, I got a 1st class, and work hard on my applications and interview prep. Just not sure where to go from here.
Sorry to hear this. I appreciate it must be hard to see the positives at this stage but even getting to the interview stage is a real accomplishment, and is a clear sign that you're on the right track. As people will have said before, it only takes one "yes" and you won't ever have to go through the process again. Just keep doing what you're doing, take a break if you need and then get back on it. I also think sometimes you're just only ever as good as your competition is, it's very possible that everyone who did get the vac scheme were just exceptional and it wasn't the case that you weren't a strong viable candidate.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @lawstress,

I thought that I would say a few things in response to your post:

1. Welcome to the forum. It is always lovely to see new members at TCLA. 🤸‍♂️ We are excited to have you join us!

That being said, I know that this is a difficult time for you. The community is built for moments like this, so please do (as you are here) draw on it 🚀.

2. I am sorry to hear that you are feeling dejected. I remember feeling like that too. After a being rejected from my first TC interview ever in October 2020, with no other invitations on the horizon, I felt hopeless and demotivated.

I felt like my interview had gone well, I had just attended a talk given by this firm's GR Partner (who happened to interview me) about how to succeed in their interview process and I had been doing interview preparation (for this interview) for months. I felt like I had actioned their advice from the talk effectively and that all the right questions had come up. When the rejection email came through it was really tough. I felt like the interview was mine to mess up and that I had done precisely that. I hate that you might be feeling something similar now.

I wish that I could have known that within 12 months that I would be offered a number of vacation scheme places (and I was not one of those people always destined to get a vacation scheme place!). Rejections are awful, but they really can kickstart a new chapter. After my disappointment, I chose to double down on my application efforts. I turned my frustration into motivation to prove to myself that I was a strong, capable candidate. This attitude ultimately brought me success.

3. Related to the above, this rejection is not a ringing indictment of you as a candidate, nor of your suitability for a career in law. As @TCdreamer97 pointed out, getting to the interview stage is a huge achievement. It should give you confidence that you are good enough to train at one of these firms.

4. A few positive steps that you can make straight away which will (I promise) enhance your development are:
a. Writing down the questions that you were asked (and that you remember). Include a note about what you can remember about your answers, even if this is just a rating out of 10. This will give you some points to focus on for next time (as there will be one).
b. Asking for feedback.

5. Finally, take things one step at a time, but please do not think that this is the end of the road.

As I said in this post, my applications progress came in fits and bursts. You are capable and I truly believe that this is a (difficult, but developmental) blip in your journey.

Take care of yourself @lawstress.

We are here to support you if and when you are ready.

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hi @lawstress,

I thought that I would say a few things in response to your post:

1. Welcome to the forum. It is always lovely to see new members at TCLA. 🤸‍♂️ We are excited to have you join us!

That being said, I know that this is a difficult time for you. The community is built for moments like this, so please do (as you are here) draw on it 🚀.

2. I am sorry to hear that you are feeling dejected. I remember feeling like that too. After a being rejected from my first TC interview ever in October 2020, with no other invitations on the horizon, I felt hopeless and demotivated.

I felt like my interview had gone well, I had just attended a talk given by this firm's GR Partner (who happened to interview me) about how to succeed in their interview and I had been doing interview preparation (for this interview) for months. I felt like I had actioned their advice from the talk effectively and that all the right questions had come up. This meant that when the rejection email came through it was really tough. I felt like the interview was mine to mess up and that I had done precisely that. I hate that you might be feeling something similar now.

I wish that I could have known that within 12 months that I would be offered a number of vacation scheme places (and I was not one of those people always destined to get a vacation scheme place!). Rejections are awful, but they really can kickstart a new chapter. After my disappointment, I doubled my application efforts, turned my frustration into motivation to prove to myself that I was a strong, capable candidate. This attitude ultimately brought me success.

3. Related to the above, this rejection is not a ringing indictment of you as a candidate, nor of your suitability for a career in law. As @TCdreamer97 pointed out, even getting to that stage is a huge achievement and should give you confidence that you are good enough to train at one of these firms.

4. A few positive steps that you can make straight away which will (I promise) enhance your development are:
a. Writing down the questions that you were asked (and that you remember). Include a note about what you can remember about your answers, even if this is just a rating out of 10. This will give you some points to focus on for next time (as there will be one).
b. Asking for feedback.

5. Finally, take things one step at a time, but please do not think that this is the end of the road.

As I said in this post, my applications progress came in fits and bursts. You are capable and I truly believe that this is a (difficult, but developmental) blip in your journey.

Take care of yourself @lawstress.

We are here to support you if and when you are ready.
This was so refreshing to read @George Maxwell, thank you! 😊

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

Anoned

Distinguished Member
Nov 1, 2021
I just wanted to add on what's already been said. From conversations with Grad Rec at various firms, the average % of applicants who get to interview stage seems to sit between 5-15%. As many firms will receive 1000s of applications, just think about how much of a sheer achievement it is to be part of that very very small percentage to reach the interview.

Please do not underplay this achievement, keep it up, ask for feedback and you will get there.
Best of luck @lawstress

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
I am old lawyer. I had 25 interviews for a training contract in London during the last year of my law degree and only got an offer with the last interview! (This might be the worst interview record in history). I have them all listed and the 139 firms to which I applied in London which results in the 25 interviews. Keep going.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
I am old lawyer. I had 25 interviews for a training contract in London during the last year of my law degree and only got an offer with the last interview! (This might be the worst interview record in history). I have them all listed and the 139 firms to which I applied in London which results in the 25 interviews. Keep going.
@Jane Smith thank you for sharing this! 🙌

F1_Legal

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 16, 2020
Thought I would add, I was rejected for a vac scheme on Monday. It was the final step so it does suck how close it was to that vac.
I personally took a day off away from applications altogether and I think that's definitely helped.
Feedback will definitely be useful because think how much more confidence you'll have in your next interview @lawstress !
Good luck!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thought I would add, I was rejected for a vac scheme on Monday. It was the final step so it does suck how close it was to that vac.
I personally took a day off away from applications altogether and I think that's definitely helped.
Feedback will definitely be useful because think how much more confidence you'll have in your next interview @lawstress !
Good luck!
Taking time away from applications to process your thoughts and feelings is hands down one of the best things you can do for your wellbeing, especially when you receive a rejection. I absolutely believe that you will get a TC with a firm of your choice and am rooting for you 🤞😇

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Good luck!
@F1_Legal I am really sorry to hear that.

It sounds like you are doing/have done the right thing in taking some time away from the process in the meantime.

Please do reach out if you would like anything. I am here for you!

• Love
Reactions: F1_Legal

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.