Freshfields Diversity Access Scheme

SpaceGirl

Star Member
Aug 31, 2018
Hi all,

Has anyone previously applied for this? simply asked to send in a CV and cover letter. No application form.

How best should I go about doing this in terms of the content? there are no guidelines from freshfields and it feels bizarre that there is no application form to fill in.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

Has anyone previously applied for this? simply asked to send in a CV and cover letter. No application form.

How best should I go about doing this in terms of the content? there are no guidelines from freshfields and it feels bizarre that there is no application form to fill in.

Do you have a link to this?

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Is this the 'Stephen Lawrence' Diversity scheme? In any case, I personally think the best way to approach the cover letter is to either show you academic brilliance OR your involvement in Extra-curricular activities (volunteering or positions of responsibility) OR BOTH.

From my understanding, the Diversity Access Scheme is for those who are academically capable but their surroundings/background prevents them from aiming high. As such, the scheme aims to target such people amongst others.

Cover Letter

Depending on whether there is a word limit for the cover letter, I would try and have a logical structure, i.e., (1) introduce yourself, (2) reasons on why they should select you (Back up any reasons with your experiences), (3) perhaps what diversity means to you etc...

If you have met or know anyone at Freshfields make sure to include the encounter you've had with these people. This always seems to help.

CV

Again its best to keep it 1 to 2 pages max. Make sure you list your experiences, avoid typos, make sure the format and font is consistent throughout, be concise and try to breakdown any long paragraphs.

I would recommend the following format:

(1) Education (I will usually include a breakdown of my marks & grades)
    (2) Experiences (I usually have a subsection for Legal experiences and Work experiences)
    (3) Extra-curricular Activities
    (4) Prizes/Skills/Languages etc

Goodluck!

Last edited:

SpaceGirl

Star Member
    Aug 31, 2018
    Is this the 'Stephen Lawrence' Diversity scheme? In any case, I personally think the best way to approach the cover letter is to either show you academic brilliance OR your involvement in Extra-curricular activities (volunteering or positions of responsibility) OR BOTH.

From my understanding, the Diversity Access Scheme is for those who are academically capable but their surroundings/background prevents them from aiming high. As such, the scheme aims to target such people amongst others.

Cover Letter

Depending on whether there is a word limit for the cover letter, I would try and have a logical structure, i.e., (1) introduce yourself, (2) reasons on why they should select you (Back up any reasons with your experiences), (3) perhaps what diversity means to you etc...

If you have met or know anyone at Freshfields make sure to include the encounter you've had with these people. This always seems to help.

CV

Again its best to keep it 1 to 2 pages max. Make sure you list your experiences, avoid typos, make sure the format and font is consistent throughout, be concise and try to breakdown any long paragraphs.

(2) Experiences (I usually have a subsection for Legal experiences and Work experiences)

Goodluck!

Actually, i got the name wrong! It's FieldFisher! Sorry everyone!

SpaceGirl

Star Member
    Aug 31, 2018

Cover Letter

CV

Goodluck!

Thank you for such an awesome response! Really appreciate your time!
    How should i go to town with saying I'm from an asian background?

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Thank you for such an awesome response! Really appreciate your time!
    How should i go to town with saying I'm from an asian background?

This would pretty much depend on the question being asked. If it’s simply asking you to write a cover letter then talking about your background is up to you.

If you feel like your background will add value to your answer then mention it, if not, you should use the wordcount on something else.

I do not know much about Fieldfisher. However if it’s truly an international firm, it will have clients from different areas of the world who will undoubtedly have different backgrounds. You can perhaps use this to leverage why & how your ‘Asian background’ will add value to this firm.

Point to note: you don’t have to mention your background specifically, it’s better to let them infer it. This way, your answer will be more focused.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.