From Campus to Cubicle: Miss Piggy's Journey 🐽

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    This thread is going to turn into a venting space but my flatmate was literally home all day yesterday (probably playing games) and had the audacity to text me and tell me to get toilet rolls on the way back home even though I bought them last time too. Sainsbury's is literally right next to our flat. I stayed in the library until 10pm and got back home and spent some more time on my HSF application (submitted it at 11:30pm). I am genuinely disgusted by his lazy behaviour and he only cleans up when his girlfriend is coming over during the weekend. He still hasn't transferred me his half of the bill and won't call the provider to be added onto the account even though I asked him to a week ago. Ugh.
    Love to hear your venting - we are all ears!

Doesn’t he ever split the grocery or electric bills? 🤣 seems like a sloth!

Best of luck for the HSF application we are all rooting for you!

You Got This Teddy Bear GIF by Teddy Too Big

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    HAHAHA!!

You’ve got this!! ✨✨ you need to have self-belief for this process, trust me I learnt the hard way… following my brutal post VS rejection 💔 but I am sure you won’t get to that point, you will secure that truly deserved TC this coming YEAR!! Manifestation is KEY!!!

Thanks, happy to provide more insight into CRS if you want? You can DM me. I was offered an offer to their vacation scheme last cycle, but had to decline because of another clashing VS!

At the moment, I am focusing on direct TC applications. I submitted Linklaters today. Didn’t bother with Clifford Chance (their VI stage put me off). I have Ashurst on my list and possibly Hogan Lovells.

Also, I am juggling with university assignments - so that’s my priority at the moment! 🤣
    bruh yk the Clifford chance VI was again a shock for me after I submitted my app, WHY DO FIRMS KEEP PUTTING these screenings it’s crushing my dreams

• Haha
    Reactions: legalgrinch

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    bruh yk the Clifford chance VI was again a shock for me after I submitted my app, WHY DO FIRMS KEEP PUTTING these screenings it’s crushing my dreams
    Tell me about it! Did you complete the VI how did it go?

I made it to CC’s AC last year… thought I’d apply again but that VI stage just put me off completely 🤣🤣 I avoid all firms now with VIs as last cycle was disastrous!!

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Doesn’t he ever split the grocery or electric bills? 🤣 seems like a sloth!

Best of luck for the HSF application we are all rooting for you!

You Got This Teddy Bear GIF by Teddy Too Big
    Thank you so much, you have honestly been so supportive and kind and it means a lot <3 It's so nice to have other aspiring lawyers like you on here, makes the whole thing seem so worth it and less dreadful

Last edited:
    • Love

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    HAHAHA!!

You’ve got this!! ✨✨ you need to have self-belief for this process, trust me I learnt the hard way… following my brutal post VS rejection 💔 but I am sure you won’t get to that point, you will secure that truly deserved TC this coming YEAR!! Manifestation is KEY!!!

Thanks, happy to provide more insight into CRS if you want? You can DM me. I was offered an offer to their vacation scheme last cycle, but had to decline because of another clashing VS!

At the moment, I am focusing on direct TC applications. I submitted Linklaters today. Didn’t bother with Clifford Chance (their VI stage put me off). I have Ashurst on my list and possibly Hogan Lovells.

Also, I am juggling with university assignments - so that’s my priority at the moment! 🤣
    Do you believe in manifestation too? 😭😂

Yes, please. That would be amazing, I will DM you now. I am quite keen on CRS and want to apply for their TC. Thing is, I could apply for vac scheme but I may be abroad during the summer. However, I don't have previous experience with the firm and no VSs secured (my only legal experience being a few open days and working within a law clinic). So I don't know. I have spoken to a few people from the firm though and have a call with someone from grad rec scheduled for tomorrow so that may be helpful. But if you worked within their London office, I have a few questions about their work

oooh I was interested in Hogan Lovells but they rejected me a few times so I haven't bothered since 😭

• 🤝

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    I don't know if I should apply to Bristows? Apparently (according to Legal Cheek), they only hand out 10 TCs a year and I feel like that's insanely competitive. Also almost all trainees on LinkedIn are either STEM students or have masters.

I just feel like I don't want to waste my time applying for firms I likely won't end up working in but as a student I do have to somewhat take a scattergun approach and hope I land something. Like it's one of the firms I won't mind if I end up working there since I have a strong interest in IP. But like say I had offers from both CRS ad Bristows, I would lean towards CRS because of their expertise in private client work + art/IP work. Ugh. :( I feel like the whole 'are you GENUINELY interested in us' is unhelpful because as a student you DON'T have the luxury to be interested in one thing and one thing only. Like, could I see myself working at Bristows? Yes. Could I see myself working in CRS? yes. Could I see myself working at HSF? yes, girl's gotta pay bills!! UGHHHHH

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    To be fair, atm I am leaning towards HSF because their disputes practice covers so many different types so I will get to experience various matters and they also have an IP team which works amazing for me. Macfarlanes would also be a great option -- some business work but also a huge private client team so I can sample a bit of everything before qualifying.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Having said that, it may make sense to apply to Bristows anyway just in case I get nowhere with other firms and then I will wonder if I should have set aside 20 hours during term 1 to work on the application. Also, a trainee offered to review my application so I will try to get most of it done by mid-week and send it to her. Maybe it's worth a shot.

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    Going to manifest him falling in love with me. <3 His next email will be

Thank you so much, you have honestly been so supportive and kind and it means a lot <3 It's so nice to have other aspiring lawyers like you on here, makes the whole thing seem so worth it and less dreadful
    Always happy to assist my fellow (future) colleagues! 🤣 law is a small world!

• Love
    Reactions: Miss Chocolate

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    Do you believe in manifestation too? 😭😂

Yes, please. That would be amazing, I will DM you now. I am quite keen on CRS and want to apply for their TC. Thing is, I could apply for vac scheme but I may be abroad during the summer. However, I don't have previous experience with the firm and no VSs secured (my only legal experience being a few open days and working within a law clinic). So I don't know. I have spoken to a few people from the firm though and have a call with someone from grad rec scheduled for tomorrow so that may be helpful. But if you worked within their London office, I have a few questions about their work

oooh I was interested in Hogan Lovells but they rejected me a few times so I haven't bothered since 😭
    Of course!!!! It’s key to having a “successful” life! You need to “manifest” and have POSITIVE vibes.

Yeah makes sense for you to apply to the training contract then! Hope the call with the graduate recruitment woman is very useful - I know they are a very small team, so it’s good you even managed to organise a call with them!

Hahaha… well not entirely sure to apply to them again. But we will see!!

• 🤝

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    I don't know if I should apply to Bristows? Apparently (according to Legal Cheek), they only hand out 10 TCs a year and I feel like that's insanely competitive. Also almost all trainees on LinkedIn are either STEM students or have masters.

I just feel like I don't want to waste my time applying for firms I likely won't end up working in but as a student I do have to somewhat take a scattergun approach and hope I land something. Like it's one of the firms I won't mind if I end up working there since I have a strong interest in IP. But like say I had offers from both CRS ad Bristows, I would lean towards CRS because of their expertise in private client work + art/IP work. Ugh. :( I feel like the whole 'are you GENUINELY interested in us' is unhelpful because as a student you DON'T have the luxury to be interested in one thing and one thing only. Like, could I see myself working at Bristows? Yes. Could I see myself working in CRS? yes. Could I see myself working at HSF? yes, girl's gotta pay bills!! UGHHHHH
    There is no harm in applying to Bristows, there has been many firms I have applied to, which I had 0 interest in!

I would follow the scattergun approach, but try to have that balance between quality and quantity!

All firms are great in their own way, and regardless you can easily move after NQ level! :)

• 🤝

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    Having said that, it may make sense to apply to Bristows anyway just in case I get nowhere with other firms and then I will wonder if I should have set aside 20 hours during term 1 to work on the application. Also, a trainee offered to review my application so I will try to get most of it done by mid-week and send it to her. Maybe it's worth a shot.
    Definitely worth a shot! Good luck ;)

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

I would say if you have time, apply to all the firms you are interested in and you kind of want to try even though their training contract offers are not substantial. If I looked at the number I would have never got offers from Gibson Dunn or Goodwin (which they only take 8 and 14 people respectively)!

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    There is no harm in applying to Bristows, there has been many firms I have applied to, which I had 0 interest in!

I would follow the scattergun approach, but try to have that balance between quality and quantity!

All firms are great in their own way, and regardless you can easily move after NQ level! :)
    that's true. Can I ask, if a firm doesn't offer you to qualify in an area you are interested in, what happens after that? Like what are my options if, say I really want to qualify in IP, but the firm doesn't need anymore NQs in IP? Hypothetically speaking.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    I would say if you have time, apply to all the firms you are interested in and you kind of want to try even though their training contract offers are not substantial. If I looked at the number I would have never got offers from Gibson Dunn or Goodwin (which they only take 8 and 14 people respectively)!
    Congrats, that's amazing! Yes, I have decided I will apply anyway and see what happens 👀

Reactions: axelbeugre

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    I don't want to speak too soon but I am actually enjoying writing these applications? Wow. The difference knowing what you like makes! Last year I thought I was going to dread my work as a lawyer because I genuinely thought I was in it only for stable employment. But going outside of the top firms and focusing on niche interesting areas of law has been life-changing. And pay isn't awful either.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.