Funniest/Stupidest Thing You've Said in an Interview?

Discussion in 'Interviews Discussion' started by Natalie000, Jun 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Natalie000

Natalie000 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    There's a similar thread on TSR which I found quite entertaining, so I thought I might as well start one here and see if it gets off the ground!

I can start with a contribution to the 'stupidest thing you've said' side. Had an interview in January where the partner and I started discussing batteries. He asked me if I knew what they were made from. My mind went completely blank, so he took pity on me and said lithium was a core component, and did I know where it came from.

Me [almost verbatim]: "Well... it's a chemical sort of thing, isn't it... in fact I think it's actually a metal... which means it doesn't grow on trees, and we don't get it from animals like milk, so... I guess we mine it from underground?"

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden Legendary Member
    TCLA Contributor

TCLA Credits:
    Hahaha that's good :D what was his response?

3. Natalie000

Natalie000 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    He took it surprisingly well actually, as far as I remember, just said yes it comes from underground! But that moment was so embarrassing it gave me many sleepless nights over the next few weeks...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I could keep this thread busy with all the things I have heard rather than the things I have said.

Best one (although wasn’t for law) was I asked the question “who do you admire most?” to a candidate. They blurted out the answer “Britney Spears” without really thinking about it (and this was not long after she had a breakdown and had shaved all her hair off - shows you how long ago this was ;)).

When they realised that it probably wasn’t the best answer, instead of taking time to rethink to change their answer, they doubled down on it and went into this long ramble of why she was a good person. When I then asked about the question from a business perspective, they stuck with Britney and tried to explain how she was a great business woman by launching her perfume brands.

o_O

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2