Not open for further replies.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Thanks for your kindness.

Honestly I did everything I could. I offered the help of my university and tutor who were supportive of me. I spoke to them at depth about the advice and whom I received it from at the open day. I even tried to speak about the nature of the modules in that they weren’t actually part of my degree itself.

None of it was met with any welcome. I understand have their own official policy of ensuring consistency - but it does seem like they amplified it and added some unnecessary accusations. I’ve also been barred from ever applying again to that firm!

Sounds like you’ve dodged a bullet

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Honestly I did everything I could. I offered the help of my university and tutor who were supportive of me. I spoke to them at depth about the advice and whom I received it from at the open day. I even tried to speak about the nature of the modules in that they weren’t actually part of my degree itself.

None of it was met with any welcome. I understand have their own official policy of ensuring consistency - but it does seem like they amplified it and added some unnecessary accusations. I’ve also been barred from ever applying again to that firm!

Yeah this sounds horrible. Clearly you’re good enough to secure one offer so no doubt you can secure more. Hope you’re doing okay!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Serah O, EFox, J32 and 9 others

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Sounds like you’ve dodged a bullet

I know you’ve probably heard it already but everything happens for a reason. You’ll look back one day and you’ll be glad this happened!

If you’re good enough to get that far, you’ll no doubt land something soon. Don’t see this as your only opportunity.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019

Sounds awful, I'm really sorry. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. What did they respond to you when you said someone on their team told you it was okay? Seems so unfair

Last edited:

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018

I am so so sorry to hear this :( We are here for you and it will get better!

Did they retract an initial offer or was it before they offered you?

Either way, I can't imagine what you are going through and i am very sorry to hear this :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It’s important to always follow instructions on the application system or website closely.

People from firms (not just grad rec) provide incorrect advice all the time unfortunately. When it comes to things like spoken conversations that have no record it very much becomes of one person’s word against another. It typically means that process/policy will win out rather than what you have been told by an individual.

It is very rare for firms to not want every university module, particularly if you have studied in the U.K. (there can be exceptions with with international grading systems that have 15+ modules a year). That includes first year grades and modules that are not formally assessed, or that don’t contribute to your final grade.

They will also want to see them in your scoring system rather than converted percentages. I have also seen offers revoked where people have converted their grades into percentages. Prime example of this is courses where a module is capped by 80 or 90%, and so someone changes a mark of 60 to 75%, when really it is just 60%.

Make sure employment dates are accurate too. I have known offers to be retracted where dates have been typed incorrectly and so the work experience looks like it took place over a much longer period of time.

Because firms will often ask you to tick a box/statement saying everything you have provided is true/accurate, you are at major risk even if it is an innocent mistake.

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Eva, Dheepa, Zoo and 3 others

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    I am so so sorry to hear this :( We are here for you and it will get better!

Did they retract an initial offer or was it before they offered you?

Either way, I can't imagine what you are going through and i am very sorry to hear this :(

Thanks for your concern, and yeah it is just a case of moving forward and making more applications the next application cycle.

I passed the interview/AC stage and they said they were verifying the information I provided to them before giving me an offer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I did a semester abroad, how would I write down my module grades if it’s just a pass on my transcript- would I say ‘pass’ for the semester abroad as a whole or write individual modules I did on the abroad and write pass for each individual one(even though it doesn’t say it on my transcript). Sorry if that’s confusing lol!

Even if they are capped at passes, do you still receive individual grades? Eg: your module grades is 12 out of 15, but for the purposes of your degree classification/end of year grades everything would just say PASS

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    Sounds awful, I'm really sorry. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. What did they respond to you when you said someone on their team told you it was okay? Seems so unfair

Thanks - when I spoke to them about the conversation I had, they said the person I spoke to did not remember what they said. As Jessica mentioned, that meant their internal policy came before any defence I had. I do think that 'not remembering' is something that one would say to escape a situation - but there's no use on my part trying to argue that!

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Just been disqualified from a US firm's application process post interview, whilst they were in the process of making me an offer. The grounds for disqualification were that my module grades I entered on the application form did not match my transcript. I didn’t falsify any information but didn’t include some optional modules. I did this as I received explicit advice on their open day from Grad Rec that ‘it is not necessary to put down modules that don’t count to your final classification’. I'd also note that I'm on track for a first class grade at university - so my grades wouldn't have held me back.

It’s a horrible feeling, to have something you’ve worked so hard for taken away. The grades I didn’t include weren’t bad (they were all 2.1+), I was just told it was not necessary to put them down. It's even worse being accused consistently by their grad rec of dishonesty and 'stealing someones place at interview', when I explained that I followed the advice they gave me.

Just some advice to people here, to ensure you avoid being in my situation:
    1. Be aware of the policy of law firms to include all grades - I’m sure most people know this, but I was uncertain about this at the time I made my application, which is why I asked for clarification at the open day.
    2. Be very wary of what grad rec say. Most of them are extremely friendly and informative. But it just takes one piece of bad advice to land you in my position.
    Best of luck to everyone applying!

Awful news. I'm so sorry to hear this.

I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that we are all frantically checking our own applications to ensure there are no errors!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Eva, MJ90, J32 and 3 others

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Even if they are capped at passes, do you still receive individual grades? Eg: your module grades is 12 out of 15, but for the purposes of your degree classification/end of year grades everything would just say PASS
    I didn’t receive any official individual grades on a transcript, I went to sydney & they gave me my results back for my exams but my official transcript for my second year says my semester one modules in London and for the semester two in Sydney it just says P for pass and the amount of credits it translates to! The semester didn’t count at all even if I got 100% it would be a pass

AY

Mar 2, 2020
    Has anyone completed the aptitude test for Fox Williams? If so, any advice about what it’s like/how difficult it is compared to the standard WG test? Thanks

WilliamsJef

Standard Member
    Dec 6, 2019
    Hey, quick question, our university has a compulsory module (an interdisciplinary course) that all students have to take regardless of degree programme. It does not constitute a part of our degrees yet it required in order to graduate. This has not been put on any application form as I believed it was irrelevant. Should I contact the law firms that I am waiting on/ and as an offer holder should I let the firm know as they have not asked for my transcript yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.