General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS Sinatra

Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
May 29, 2020
Oh how strange. I emailed them and was told it was only open to penultimate years. Are you a non-law grad?
I completed my law graduation course outside of the UK, so I still have to do the GDL since it is not considered as a qualifying law degree in the UK. At the beginning of the application, when i was asked to confirm if I'm a penultimate year student, I chose 'NO'. Hope that helps!

• ℹ️
Reactions: OB

Angiee

Sep 30, 2019
A mark-up exercise will literally be you needing to scrutinise every little detail of a document. You'll need to look out for anything out of the following:
  • Typos
  • Mispelling
  • Inconsistencies in spelling (e.g. names like Thompson/Thomson)
  • Grammatical errors
  • Transposed numbers
  • Incorrect dates
  • Incorrect headings/titles/subject lines
  • Incorrect identification of parties/people (e.g. referencing the client as the other party in a deal or vice versa)
  • Language - where sentences or bullet points are ambiguous, unclear, or over-written
  • Structure - where things could be reordered to make a more logical/clearer layout (might be particularly relevant in this instance if there is a timeline aspect)
I haven't seen a "timeline" exercise before, but I would expect this to be based on what needs to happen first and then deciding the order of actions to ensure success. This will just need some common sense to work out what will have to happen before a particular outcome, or where matters/parts of the puzzle are dependent on others.

Thank you very much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I completed my law graduation course outside of the UK, so I still have to do the GDL since it is not considered as a qualifying law degree in the UK. At the beginning of the application, when i was asked to confirm if I'm a penultimate year student, I chose 'NO'. Hope that helps!

you aren’t a penultimate year student though - the GDL doesn’t count as an extra year. You may find this is picked up at a later stage.

• ℹ️

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
After reading that a couple of people have heard back from Bakers after I applied, I went to check if the application requires references. I put my Uni tutor down as a referee but realised that it's technically the summer holidays so she would not be checking emails. Does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    After reading that a couple of people have heard back from Bakers after I applied, I went to check if the application requires references. I put my Uni tutor down as a referee but realised that it's technically the summer holidays so she would not be checking emails. Does anyone know what to do in this situation?

I don't think tutors actually stop checking emails in holidays, do they? Mine has still emailed me, and it's a long break so they must still be in communication with lots of people!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I doubt they have got back to anyone yet as it has barely been two weeks since the deadline. Ideally, they'll start offering interviews this week coming, realistically, it will probably be the week after.

I doubt a firm would apply a blanket process of needing a reference before inviting you to the next stage. If they did, you’d have to provide the reference up front.

Reactions: futuretraineecity and OB

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020

Firms are usually understanding about this type of thing. Having worked in Higher Education, if your tutor/academic referee is off then you can contact your departments' office (the place where you'd let them know about mitigating circumstances, changing seminars, etc) and ask them to provide a reference or find an academic who could.

That being said, typically references will only be contacted during the final stages of the recruitment process or when they send an offer so I don't think you need to worry about anything right now. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Alternatively, you can let the firm know and they'll accommodate where they can. But again, they probably won't need a reference so early in your application.

Good luck!

• 🏆
    Reactions: futuretraineecity

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    Firms are usually understanding about this type of thing. Having worked in Higher Education, if your tutor/academic referee is off then you can contact your departments' office (the place where you'd let them know about mitigating circumstances, changing seminars, etc) and ask them to provide a reference or find an academic who could.

That being said, typically references will only be contacted during the final stages of the recruitment process or when they send an offer so I don't think you need to worry about anything right now. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Alternatively, you can let the firm know and they'll accommodate where they can. But again, they probably won't need a reference so early in your application.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks so much for your response!! This is v reassuring :)

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from Linklaters yet?

The dates for their vac scheme are

29.06.-10.07.
    20.07.-31.07.
    10.08.-21.08.

grad rec is quite involved in this and it’s a bit of a logistical challenge to say the least, so I’d probably expect them to come back to people somewhere in between the schemes... I hope this helps

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone - I have posted in the "Ask a Graduate Recruiter" forum all my thoughts on virtual internships. Apologies for the delay - it was quite tricky trying to keep it concise, I could have talked about it for days...

Jaysen has also created a specific thread on advice on virtual internships - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/virtual-vacation-schemes-top-tips.2459/

Feel free to tag me in posts or PM me if you have any particular questions if you are on an internship now or in the coming weeks and want some further advice...

Last edited:

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Has anyone who applied direct for a TC heard anything from Macfarlanes or Travers Smith? I applied sometime late last year for both and other than an email from TS saying 'we are still considering your application' I haven't heard anything.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.