Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much. It is quite possible that there were other errors, (due to mitigating circumstances) I did email graduate recruitment to let them know about an acronym error after I had submitted my application.

don’t email grad rec people about errors unless it is an error about your own experience (eg incorrect grades or wrong dates).

What were the ext circs for applying? I have never heard of ext circs about submitting applications so it would be good to understand this. Feel free to PM me if it’s easier.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I know this is a silly thing to be worried about, but as a lot of grades have been inflated at some unis (more people getting 1sts), would it put you at a disadvantage if you got a 2:1? I feel like in comparison to the people at my uni I didn’t do bad at all but Compared to everyone else..

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know this is a silly thing to be worried about, but as a lot of grades have been inflated at some unis (more people getting 1sts), would it put you at a disadvantage if you got a 2:1? I feel like in comparison to the people at my uni I didn’t do bad at all but Compared to everyone else..

no - if anything it just reduces the value of a 1st. From the conversations I have had, it seems that many firms will be taking results this year with a pinch of salt. If they are good, great but if they aren’t as strong and still a 2.1, they won’t lose too much sleep over it because of all the disruption.

Reactions: Karin and OB

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
DWF has been woefully poorly managed for many years. Their old CEO was recently axed. This is all part of the firm’s realignment with new management. And it’s a listed company so it has to think of shareholders- another reason why firms shouldn’t list.

The redundancy's aren’t a strictly Covid response. This has been a long time coming for them. It’s too big and too unprofitable right now. Offices have shut, more will. The old CEO grew DWF for his own vanity, he’s gone now.

I've heard very similar points made from an ex-partner there. The IPO was predominantly used as a vehicle to line the pockets of equity partners/leadership and has not worked out at all.

Management wise there has been some real blunders; such as not keeping up with innovation, trying to outsource as much work as possible (although the quality of this work has been poor), and too frequent changes in strategy.

From what I gather the firm's attrition rate is much higher than its competitors for those entering seniority at the firm. One would hope their business model changes as in the long term as it is not sustainable (as the redundancies have shown).

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
no - if anything it just reduces the value of a 1st. From the conversations I have had, it seems that many firms will be taking results this year with a pinch of salt. If they are good, great but if they aren’t as strong and still a 2.1, they won’t lose too much sleep over it because of all the disruption.
Thanks so much this really helps!

fk1235

Jun 30, 2020
Hi! Could I ask if you've heard back from Fried Frank as yet? I know they were wanting to do interviews as of the coming week so hoping to hear back soon.

Nope haven't heard anything yet - I think you could also interpret their email as we'll hear back next week but either way I don't think it'll be long

Last edited:

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone heard anything from BCLP or RPC?

I know BCLP have assessment centres end of July/ beginning of Aug so was wondering :)
    I'm currently waiting to hear from RPC. I have seen in this thread and online that RPC's final summer vacation scheme ends today so they will probably make TC decisions for them before they move onto direct TC apps!

Mo M

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 6, 2020
    I'm currently waiting to hear from RPC. I have seen in this thread and online that RPC's final summer vacation scheme ends today so they will probably make TC decisions for them before they move onto direct TC apps!

Ah right okay! That makes sense- I know their assessment centres are mid aug!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    I can't seem to find this information anywhere - does anyone know who is eligible for Sidley's vacation scheme (E.g. final years only) ? Im debating whether to apply to direct TC or wait until winter VS but I'll be doing the PGDL by then - many thanks!

Nikhilrai

May 30, 2020
    I can't seem to find this information anywhere - does anyone know who is eligible for Sidley's vacation scheme (E.g. final years only) ? Im debating whether to apply to direct TC or wait until winter VS but I'll be doing the PGDL by then - many thanks!

Hey - I can never tell whether it’s worth applying for the direct TC for the US law firms with a smaller intake like Sidley. I’m not sure what the statistics are but I’m assuming most of there TC would be given to vacation schemers so I would suggest to wait till the winter cycle. I feel like the chances in obtaining a TC that route would be higher than applying directly for these firms.

Not sure if anyone else has any other input. :)

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Hey - I can never tell whether it’s worth applying for the direct TC for the US law firms with a smaller intake like Sidley. I’m not sure what the statistics are but I’m assuming most of there TC would be given to vacation schemers so I would suggest to wait till the winter cycle. I feel like the chances in obtaining a TC that route would be higher than applying directly for these firms.

Not sure if anyone else has any other input. :)

Yeah ofc! that's why I'm asking to see if I can wait until the winter vac scheme but some firms like V&E - i'm no longer able to apply to the VS as its only for undergrads so obviously don't want to waste this opportunity!

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    I am quite shocked by this but I just got through to the interview at Mishcon de Reya. Does anyone have any tips? (especially a virtual interview)!

Congrats! Recently had a TC interview virtually. I definitely found it harder than in-person ones just because it’s harder to build a rapport. I will just give you tips based on what I wish I had done:

- smile more
    - take longer to think before speaking because I found it more uncomfortable about the silence virtually than I would have in person
    - have a larger cup of water because I ran out during the interview and was genuinely upset I didn’t save it for the more difficult questions haha
    - try looking at both interviewers more rather than just the person asking me questions

not an extensive list but just some things that comes to mind. Good luck!!

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: EA, anulciak7, M777 and 4 others
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.