General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I've come across this question in a VS app If applicable, what do you do to keep up to date with your foreign language skills?, is this only for language students or can I talk about my Spanish skills (e.g volunteering at a charity doing translation work with service users)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've come across this question in a VS app If applicable, what do you do to keep up to date with your foreign language skills?, is this only for language students or can I talk about my Spanish skills (e.g volunteering at a charity doing translation work with service users)

Its for anyone with some level of proficiency in a language who is still actively keeping the language up.

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

LOGO

Sep 7, 2020
    Hi, I was just wondering , how would you structure a cover letter for an open day ? I was wondering if should be approached like a cover letter for say a vac scheme /TC. Sorry if this was said already . Or is there another forum where I can find guidance?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I was just wondering , how would you structure a cover letter for an open day ? I was wondering if should be approached like a cover letter for say a vac scheme /TC. Sorry if this was said already . Or is there another forum where I can find guidance?

same structure is appropriate:

Why the opportunity
    Why the firm
    Why you

(doesn’t necessarily matter which order these are in)

M5JM

Sep 23, 2020
    Hey Everyone

I hope you are all well. I’m new to the forum!

I know there are more important things going on in the world right now, but I just wanted to know how everyone copes with waiting for post-AC results? I completed my first AC at the beginning of September and I’m starting to feel really impatient.

How long does it typically take to hear back following an AC at this time of year? What things do you do to keep sane? :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hope everyone is doing well :) I was scrolling through trainees'/future trainees' profiles on Linkedin and could see that the majority of them graduated with a first class degree. From what I have observed, more people seem to have graduated with a first class this year. Does this insinuate that candidates who did not graduate with a first class degree this year, Russell Group or not, have a deem chance of securing a TC at city firms? Thank you :)
    I think firms will be taking results this year with a pinch of salt tbh so I wouldn't worry! There's been a lot of disruption to studies for A-levels and for university study which firms will take into account so you definitely will still have a good chance of securing a TC at city firms!

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    Just an update - got a rejection just now from Linklaters direct TC - does anyone know what mark or percentile they wanted you to be in in the test? Because I was in the 91st percentile so I'm a bit confused
    or maybe do you think they gave out all their TCs to VS?

Sorry to hear that, I also just got rejected. Could I ask how you got your grades? Do you just email HR for your percentile?

• 🤝
    Reactions: Penelope

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    FYI on the Lawcareers.net Live Conferences - they are now going to happen virtually, so one to consider applying to as you don’t need to travel!

Please see the details in the attachment

Attachments

• F755A6C2-D6BF-4D87-A53D-38D4CC1A1980.jpeg
      F755A6C2-D6BF-4D87-A53D-38D4CC1A1980.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 61
    Reactions: Tushar and Jaysen

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Just an update - got a rejection just now from Linklaters direct TC - does anyone know what mark or percentile they wanted you to be in in the test? Because I was in the 91st percentile so I'm a bit confused
    or maybe do you think they gave out all their TCs to VS?

Hi Tanvi

Sorry to hear that.

My observation is that Links place more weight on the CAPP test than the Watson Glaser when deciding who to invite to AC.

I say that because I scored in the 65th percentile last cycle and was invited to AC, and I've heard people have made it to AC with lower scores.

91% is an incredible score so I think its unlikely you were rejected because of your WG score!

• 🏆
    Reactions: futuretraineecity

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Hi Tanvi

Sorry to hear that.

My observation is that Links place more weight on the CAPP test than the Watson Glaser when deciding who to invite to AC.

I say that because I scored in the 65th percentile last cycle and was invited to AC, and I've heard people have made it to AC with lower scores.

91% is an incredible score so I think its unlikely you were rejected because of your WG score!
    Thanks, Camilla!

How did you ensure you gave good responses on the CAPP section?

EMD

Aug 13, 2020
    I got feedback from an unsuccessful assessment centre today that they would have liked me to have given more examples of working in a team. Due to restrictions at the moment I’m struggling to come up with ideas of ways I can get involved in a team at the moment so I can work on this feedback for any future ACs - anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I got feedback from an unsuccessful assessment centre today that they would have liked me to have given more examples of working in a team. Due to restrictions at the moment I’m struggling to come up with ideas of ways I can get involved in a team at the moment so I can work on this feedback for any future ACs - anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

They don't necessarily need to be new examples - it might be the case that you have more/stronger examples of team working already, it is just that you haven't mentioned them.

If you are still at uni, get involved in any sports or society that interests you are try to take on positions of responsibility.

If you are currently working, look into whether there are employee network groups you could get involved with.

Reactions: EMD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.