General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
Sep 23, 2020
Thanks for the multiple responses about congrapps! Won't be using them ;) the main reason I asked was that I have heard for slaughters that they like a really short cover letter. When speaking at an event they said to use it for mitigating circumstances or to explain a bad result. What are people's thoughts on sending in a cover letter that is only about two lines? I sent a half page one last year and was unsuccessful so think it might be worth the risk.
Don't do it. I got rejected last year for doing that. They want to see why you want to apply to Slaughters

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Thanks for the multiple responses about congrapps! Won't be using them ;) the main reason I asked was that I have heard for slaughters that they like a really short cover letter. When speaking at an event they said to use it for mitigating circumstances or to explain a bad result. What are people's thoughts on sending in a cover letter that is only about two lines? I sent a half page one last year and was unsuccessful so think it might be worth the risk.

Slaughters do like a short cover letter but still include the main things (why you, why them, why law). I just had a small paragraph for each and said very very little about why me since a lot of that was already in my CV. My paragraphs were about 4-5 sentences long, if that helps!

Ali2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi All,

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong?? I've been applying since January this year and have either been rejected, completed the online test and then rejected, passed an online test but then rejected or waited almost 5 months to hear back and then been rejected. I really thought that this year I would have secured a TC and I just feel pretty rubbish.

I have pushed myself outside of my comfort zone, reached out to individuals on LinkedIn who share a similar background to myself and have secured a TC, submitted what I thought were really strong applications and offered real mitigating circumstances where applicable. I thought that perhaps because of my strong experience (I've been working as a paralegal for the past 3 years) I would have a strong chance....but this doesn't seem to hold much weight.

I really have no idea where I am going wrong??

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong?? I've been applying since January this year and have either been rejected, completed the online test and then rejected, passed an online test but then rejected or waited almost 5 months to hear back and then been rejected. I really thought that this year I would have secured a TC and I just feel pretty rubbish.

I have pushed myself outside of my comfort zone, reached out to individuals on LinkedIn who share a similar background to myself and have secured a TC, submitted what I thought were really strong applications and offered real mitigating circumstances where applicable. I thought that perhaps because of my strong experience (I've been working as a paralegal for the past 3 years) I would have a strong chance....but this doesn't seem to hold much weight.

I really have no idea where I am going wrong??

I'm sorry to hear this.

How many firms have you applied to in total? And has anyone reviewed your applications?

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    I got rejected by W&C a few weeks ago(direct TC if anyone is wondering!)

Also, has anyone heard back from NRF regarding VS post WGT ? I done it last Friday, yet to hear back. When I applied for the summer vac(Feb), I was rejected 2 days post WGT if that is significant?

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    I also got rejected from HSF so I know how you feel- if its any consolation, you can apply for another scheme this year if you've passed their online tests! I'm still waiting on NRF but its probably a rejection seeing as I haven't even got the WG link :')
    Really?? That sounds like good news! Where is this stated?

I haven't got officially rejected by HSF, but on the portal it says company not interested..

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    I also got rejected from HSF so I know how you feel- if its any consolation, you can apply for another scheme this year if you've passed their online tests! I'm still waiting on NRF but its probably a rejection seeing as I haven't even got the WG link :')
    I also applied to NRF (nearly two weeks ago) and havent heard a thing. I noted someone on this forum applied on Friday and already has a WG invite. I don't understand it at all!

Reactions: DrowninginSQE

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    I got rejected by W&C a few weeks ago(direct TC if anyone is wondering!)

Also, has anyone heard back from NRF regarding VS post WGT ? I done it last Friday, yet to hear back. When I applied for the summer vac(Feb), I was rejected 2 days post WGT if that is significant?
    How long did you wait between application and WG invite? Thank you!!

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Hi there, I believe I was in a similar situation. I was going through my applications and I even showed them to someone from the career service at my university. I thought my applications were very good, but they were not. What really helped me to see the difference between my application and successful applications was subscribing to TCLA Premium (I don't work for TCLA - this was my own experience). There is a thread where people are sharing their successful application there. It has really helped me to see how people are using their own experiences to show why law, or see how their writing style is much clearer than mine. I would also recommend Jaysen's app reviewing service. He literally gives you feedback on every single phrase/sentence and he managed to spot how I got one practice area's name wrong (the career service officer couldn't)! I think that reflecting on both Jaysen's feedback and comparing my apps with other's successful apps helped me to improve my writing style a lot. I can also see some results now. Last cycle, I could not get even an open day, this cycle I managed to secure a couple of open days with very good firms and I am confident that I will be more successful with my vac scheme apps as well.
    Congratulations on the improvement, and as a fellow applicant, thanks for being so honest. The reality is none of us really get it right straight away and applications are an art, it’s okay for all of us to not quite get it at times. Hope your vac scheme applications are super successful

• 🤝
    Reactions: nicole88

Evelina

Star Member
    Oct 27, 2019
    Rejected from sidley. Same thing has happened as with NRF. Submitted late one evening then two days later a rejection! They use the same platform for applications and now I am just so confused. I could appreciate this happening once and it being chance. I have higher grades than last year and two new works experiences and meet the A-level criteria. The only thing I can think of is that for Sidley I said that I had applied before but was not eligible that year. Could it be that they automatically filter out applications if someone has applied before? Frustrated because Sidley asked me to apply again this year but have rejected me very quickly despite me thinking my application was possibly the best I have written. Last year I got rejected after a few weeks despite not even being eligible that year and this time it has been less than 48 hours.
    i have such a similar story! I got rejected from NRF this year after the WG even if last year they told me to apply again for the Vac scheme (i clearly do terribly on WGs). I'm still waiting to hear from Sidley but they told me to apply this year too.

Maybe there are some typos in your app somewhere?

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    i have such a similar story! I got rejected from NRF this year after the WG even if last year they told me to apply again for the Vac scheme (i clearly do terribly on WGs). I'm still waiting to hear from Sidley but they told me to apply this year too.

Maybe there are some typos in your app somewhere?
    Have had multiple people check them and I re-checked and there is nothing wrong with them. Maybe I just applied too late who knows

• 🤝
    Reactions: Evelina

Ali2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 11, 2019
    I'm sorry to hear this.

How many firms have you applied to in total? And has anyone reviewed your applications?
    Hi Jaysen,

I'm part of the TCLA Gold service and have had my applications reviewed by yourself and others outside of TCLA. I have applied to about 16 firms so far.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong??

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.