Not open for further replies.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hey guys

I read this on Mayer Brown's website
Mayer Brown is the only integrated law firm with approximately 200 or more lawyers in each of the world’s three largest financial centres — New York, London and Hong Kong — the backbone of the global economy.

Could anyone help me out, I'm not sure what an 'integrated law firm is'? I know lots of law firms have more than 200 lawyers in the London, NY and HK office. So what does Mayer Brown mean... i'm guessing the answer lies in what an integrated law firm is?

Thank you :D

Hey!

So from my understanding, they're saying that Mayer Brown is a single partnership (meaning they have the same pot of money and the same salary arrangements) with a huge presence in each of those areas. So, whilst there are other firms that have offices in those areas, either they're not a single partnership in those areas and/or they don't have the presence that Mayer Brown do.

For example, Firm A may have offices in London, NY and HK but London may be part of the Europe arm of the firm, NY is part of the North American arm and HK is part of the Asia-Pacific arm. But, they'll share a common brand. Some examples are Bakers, Dentons, KWM.

Other firms may be integrated in all those areas but might have 1000 lawyers in London, 250 in NY and 50 in HK, etc.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Has anyone else had glitching problems with the bird & bird VI? It happened to me last year (different laptop, different WiFi) where it played the first question twice and then on 1 question the clock just started counting down with no timer allowing for 60seconds thinking time (as the other questions had) and then on the final Q the thinking time timer and actual answer timer were nothing going on at the same time...

I emailed to say it glitched but hopefully they received my full answers, just wondering if anyone else experienced the same given it did it to me last year aswell?? Also kinda annoying I had zero seconds to think on 2 of the answers lol I think all in all it was a bit of a disaster...

• 🤝
Reactions: OB

lawgirl1234

Star Member
Oct 20, 2020
Has anyone else had glitching problems with the bird & bird VI? It happened to me last year (different laptop, different WiFi) where it played the first question twice and then on 1 question the clock just started counting down with no timer allowing for 60seconds thinking time (as the other questions had) and then on the final Q the thinking time timer and actual answer timer were nothing going on at the same time...

I emailed to say it glitched but hopefully they received my full answers, just wondering if anyone else experienced the same given it did it to me last year aswell?? Also kinda annoying I had zero seconds to think on 2 of the answers lol I think all in all it was a bit of a disaster...

That's super weird. I didn't have any glitches with mine but having said that it still went fairly disastrously :confused:

• 🤝
Reactions: OB

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
Sep 17, 2020
Hey!

So from my understanding, they're saying that Mayer Brown is a single partnership (meaning they have the same pot of money and the same salary arrangements) with a huge presence in each of those areas. So, whilst there are other firms that have offices in those areas, either they're not a single partnership in those areas and/or they don't have the presence that Mayer Brown do.

For example, Firm A may have offices in London, NY and HK but London may be part of the Europe arm of the firm, NY is part of the North American arm and HK is part of the Asia-Pacific arm. But, they'll share a common brand. Some examples are Bakers, Dentons, KWM.

Other firms may be integrated in all those areas but might have 1000 lawyers in London, 250 in NY and 50 in HK, etc.

thank you so much for the detailed reply :D so helpful :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back after an interview/AC? I’ve had 2 in the past 2 weeks for winter vac schemes and am still waiting to hear back.

it could be until the interview cycle is over. In most cases I would expect you to hear back within 2 weeks though

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Rene

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey, I was wondering if I should email and thank the partners who interviewed me after receiving a TC offer? Obviously I thanked them loads when they called but worried I haven’t followed up with an email and I should have but that was now a week ago!

This isn’t necessary. You have thanked them over the phone.

If you want to, then do so (just keep the email super short). You just don’t have to do this and plenty of people don’t.

You will need to ensure you accept the offer in writing from Grad Rec/HR though

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
Sep 23, 2020
Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back after an interview/AC? I’ve had 2 in the past 2 weeks for winter vac schemes and am still waiting to hear back.
I've had several too. Be patient! I've had some firms get back to me in an hour, others have marking to do so they take a couple of weeks and others need approval from other people too! Don't stress, I do feel you though! :D

man063

Aug 23, 2019
This might be the wrong place for this question but does anyone have any advice on the content that should be included in a LL.M. personal statement? Particularly in relation to some of the more competitive programmes (e.g. Oxbridge)?

Evelina

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Did anyone else get an email from Sidley saying they're winter vac is full but they'll consider your app for spring/summer?

Do you guys think that means I would get the interview in January or it's just the process they do every year when there are applications left over for winter?

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Did anyone else get an email from Sidley saying they're winter vac is full but they'll consider your app for spring/summer?

Do you guys think that means I would get the interview in January or it's just the process they do every year when there are applications left over for winter?
I got this too! I don’t know if it’s generic or not. Either way it was one of the nicest rejections I’ve had

Reactions: Evelina
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.