General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
I
have you tried a different browser/cleared you cookies/cache?
I don’t think there is another way to access it other than through their website, when you say it is coming up blank do you mean like a blank new window?

Update: So this is how you should be able to access the Clifford Chance practice test, by scrolling down to the 'try a test' box on this link https://careers.cliffordchance.com/london/join-us/how-we-hire.html

However, it seems there is a system error with GetFeedback - the WG provider of the practice test. I assume they are working to resolve it so maybe just try again throughout this week.

I tried and it worked thank you!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Yes! It worked! Also would you say Clifford Chance is the best test to use to practice? I just took it and got a 70% so i'm a bit nervous, I probably need a lot more practice than I thought if the Baker McKenzie test would be similar.
The Clifford Chance test is as good as any and no single test is going to prepare you. The trick to the WG is to understand what the logic is behind the various sections to train your brain into thinking in the way that is required. Doing one on its own is not going to help you to do that, but trying every free test there is will help you to understand this logic and style of thinking. Some tests are harder than others and I used to get a whole range of scores but it does help you to appreciate the timings and things as well. Just keep plugging away and practice as much as you can from a wealth of sources and this should stand you in good stead.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes! It worked! Also would you say Clifford Chance is the best test to use to practice? I just took it and got a 70% so i'm a bit nervous, I probably need a lot more practice than I thought if the Baker McKenzie test would be similar.

I don’t know enough about the practice tests to comment, but even then the percentages you are given won’t necessarily mean much, either for the individual firm, but particularly across firms as they are assessed in different manners.

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
The Clifford Chance test is as good as any and no single test is going to prepare you. The trick to the WG is to understand what the logic is behind the various sections to train your brain into thinking in the way that is required Doing one on its own is not going to help you to do that, but trying every free test there is will help you to understand this logic and style of thinking. Some tests are harder than others and I used to get a whole range of scores but it does help you to appreciate the timings and things as well. Just keep plugging away and practice as much as you can from a wealth of sources and this should stand you in good stead.

Thank you so much! What average would you consider good enough to be confident to take the test. I average around 70%-80% but I've certainly heard different things. I'm not sure if I need a lot more practice or if this is an average score.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you so much! What average would you consider good enough to be confident to take the test. I average around 70%-80% but I've certainly heard different things. I'm not sure if I need a lot more practice or if this is an average score.

You are usually given a timeframe in which to take a test and so this will more than likely govern when is the correct time. Never leave it to the night before as grad rec will not be on hand to help if a link doesn't work etc and, sadly, if you cannot take the test at a late hour for something like this, your application may well be nullified.

@Jessica Booker has written so so extensively on the subject of the WG and why these pass marks don't mean a lot. Yes, when practising they are a great gauge to see how you are doing, but law firms have their own benchmarks and 'pass' marks based on the study group they are assessing you against. It is pretty complex really and not a one size fits all situation so 70% could be great for one firm but poor for another. I would say though that for the testing stage, you sound like you are doing well and 70--80% are good scores on the face of it.

Reactions: NickMcK

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You are usually given a timeframe in which to take a test and so this will more than likely govern when is the correct time. Never leave it to the night before as grad rec will not be on hand to help if a link doesn't work etc and, sadly, if you cannot take the test at a late hour for something like this, your application may well be nullified.

@Jessica Booker has written so so extensively on the subject of the WG and why these pass marks don't mean a lot. Yes, when practising they are a great gauge to see how you are doing, but law firms have their own benchmarks and 'pass' marks based on the study group they are assessing you against. It is pretty complex really and not a one size fits all situation so 70% could be great for one firm but poor for another. I would say though that for the testing stage, you sound like you are doing well and 70--80% are good scores on the face of it.

these two posts may help:

Pyschometrics 2

Pyschometrics

Reactions: Alice G

Abgaal

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 24, 2019
Huge congratulations! Lovely way to start the week that - have they said anything about how the scheme is likely to take place? What're the provisional dates if you don't mind me asking?
So Goodwin called me this morning and they said that they’re unsure on exactly what the dates are. It just a matter of waiting to be fair. But most likely it would be in July/August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.