Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a question - how much does work experience at a high street/regional firm help me in my applications? I’m looking to get some over the summer but as it’s unpaid I’m debating whether to do that or get another job somewhere else that’s non-Law related but paid. Would it put me in a position to apply for direct TCs?

it more depends what you do in the job rather than the job title/who it is with

CL-BD

Premium Member
Nov 19, 2019
When answering a commercial awareness question like "tell me about a recent business story/development that is of interest to you" what information should I aim to include? What is the interviewer looking for?

I understand some people go for the SWOT approach. Has anyone answered such questions successfully in a different way?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When answering a commercial awareness question like "tell me about a recent business story/development that is of interest to you" what information should I aim to include? What is the interviewer looking for?

I understand some people go for the SWOT approach. Has anyone answered such questions successfully in a different way?

I don’t think SWOT is necessary for structure. It depends on the news story though.

the interviewer is trying to gauge your interest in commercial matters and your ability to articulate things in a clear and concise manner.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018

I would simply describe a story that has interested you and then reflect upon it. When I reflect, I do so from the perspective of a law firm and discuss how I think it may affect them. Essentially, a less rigid SWOT approach, but, acknowledging the fact that there is a connection to the firm to show I am commercially aware.

Reactions: bethbristol

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Jan 14, 2020
I don’t know if this helps but I spoke to Macfarlanes Grad Rec and asked when we should expect to hear back in regards to Direct TC apps and they said over the next few weeks!

Reactions: Helena

Xanderz

Nov 7, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a TC interview coming up and I’ve been preparing some motivation answers. I am a non-law student and have no vac scheme experiences. How would you recommend giving an answer for questions like:

‘How would you know you would like the role that a trainee does’

When you don’t have any practical experience. I’ve spoken to associates at talks and such but I’m not sure if it’s a compelling enough reason. I’m linking the skills/roles that trainees use to my own experiences I have had.

Another question that I was struggling to answer honestly, was about working long hours. It honestly doesn’t phase me but I think coming up with an honest answer is quite difficult. Its not true to say that you like working long hours, as no-one does.

Thank you for your help!

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hi guys,

I have a TC interview coming up and I’ve been preparing some motivation answers. I am a non-law student and have no vac scheme experiences. How would you recommend giving an answer for questions like:

When you don’t have any practical experience. I’ve spoken to associates at talks and such but I’m not sure if it’s a compelling enough reason. I’m linking the skills/roles that trainees use to my own experiences I have had.

Another question that I was struggling to answer honestly, was about working long hours. It honestly doesn’t phase me but I think coming up with an honest answer is quite difficult. Its not true to say that you like working long hours, as no-one does.

Thank you for your help!

You can offer comparisons to a role you have completed where the skills required are transferrable.

Also, in 4 interviews I have never been asked about long working hours. The point here is that you need to be solid on our commitment/motivation for commercial law that this isn't even a question they need to ask. Also, it could simply be the fact that these firms don't ask that question :)

Reactions: Xanderz, Zoo and jan28

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Hi guys,

Thank you for your help!

I’d relate what you know about a career in law from the open days to your transferrable skills.

I had a question about what I’d like least about being a commercial lawyer but not directly about the hours. I did mention having to cancel plans as part of my answer. Not heard back yet so not sure how it went down but I don’t think anyone goes into commercial law for the long hours so I think it’s ok to be honest and realistic. Relate it back to your motivation for the career and how you’re going in with your eyes open.

Reactions: Xanderz

Alexahills

Jan 9, 2019
Is anyone still waiting on Mayer Brown post online tests for the Spring VS? :/
I am waiting as well! Applied to the summer vac scheme though! Feels like there is plenty of people that have received a rejection or offer already. Not sure if we are being put on hold?

Reactions: E
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.