General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexiak

Star Member
Jul 9, 2019
Has anyone heard back from Katten? I received an email asking if I required visa sponsorship, and nothing after that. :) That was on the 6 March - should I follow up or wait until next week?

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Has anyone heard back from Katten? I received an email asking if I required visa sponsorship, and nothing after that. :) That was on the 6 March - should I follow up or wait until next week?

I know someone posted on here that they didn't sponsor Visa's, so, they may just be checking with people to use as another "filter"?

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
It might be! I actually don't need sponsorship so wondering whether I'm in the "maybe" pile or :/

Gateley asked me a similar question before and I was rejected despite not needing a visa. Not the most reassuring thing to hear, but sharing my experience.

Depending on when you applied, I would wait slightly longer. Particularly because of the uncertainty around the coronavirus.

George Rowe

Star Member
Nov 15, 2018
Has anyone done a telephone interview with Dentons? I initially applied for a vacation scheme but they emailed saying they are full, and are progressing me to the TC route and next stage is a 1 hour telephone interview. Thanks

Demna87

Distinguished Member
Aug 23, 2018
there is a paywall. anyone have access?

I can only see the first link ---

Law firms have begun to amend their graduate recruitment activities in response to the spread of coronavirus across the globe.

More than 30 law firms run spring vacation schemes in which students from across the UK and beyond gather to experience life in the profession; however, these are now under threat.

Shearman & Sterling was due to run a vacation scheme from 16-27 March, but has now decided to postpone it until a later date.

Linklaters has postponed its first Pathfinder scheme of the year – a two-day ‘insight event’ for first year students – until May. However, a spokesperson for Linklaters said that “as of 12 March, our spring vacation scheme is still going ahead; however, we are monitoring the situation very closely.” The firm’s spring vac scheme is currently set for 30 March to 9 April.

Many other firms are carrying on as normal for now. A spokesperson for Bristows, which has a two-day scheme on 25-26 March, said: “We are still planning on hosting the spring workshop and have asked candidates to confirm that they have not been to certain countries, or in contact with anyone who has been there. However, we will keep an eye on government recommendations over the next couple of weeks and will cancel if needed.”

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for TLT said: “We are monitoring the impact of the coronavirus on all aspects of our business in line with government advice. This includes our spring vacation scheme and we will keep those due to take part informed if we decide to postpone to a later date.”

Farrer & Co too has sent offers out to successful applicants for its scheme, planned for 30 March to 9 April, but is monitoring the situation.

• ℹ️
Reactions: m24 and FutureCity
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.