General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Hi All,

Just going on from Jaysen's post about venting etc during this period - I wanted to make a note about how demotivated I am feeling about doing any kind of applications at the moment. Whilst I can manage my time more flexibly due to WFH, I am the most demotivated I have ever been... finding it hard to think about/concentrate on TC apps when there is so much going on around us that is far bigger than me/applications etc in my opinion.

Of course I will try to press on and not push myself too much but just wanted to make mention of it in case anyone else was feeling the same way. I am sure it is totally normal as times of uncertainty are always quite bizarre but just can't seem to think beyond this current situation.

Any advice always welcome for me and anyone else feeling the same way!

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hi All,

Just going on from Jaysen's post about venting etc during this period - I wanted to make a note about how demotivated I am feeling about doing any kind of applications at the moment. Whilst I can manage my time more flexibly due to WFH, I am the most demotivated I have ever been... finding it hard to think about/concentrate on TC apps when there is so much going on around us that is far bigger than me/applications etc in my opinion.

Of course I will try to press on and not push myself too much but just wanted to make mention of it in case anyone else was feeling the same way. I am sure it is totally normal as times of uncertainty are always quite bizarre but just can't seem to think beyond this current situation.

I feel the same RE uni assignments, corporate governance does not matter so much after all..

Reactions: acceleratedlaw

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019
    Jaysen knows how important this forum has been to me. I want to say a big thank you to everyone on TCLA. It's been a lifeline. I have had my trials and tribulations, as we all have, with trying to get a TC and have come close a few times, learning and developing as I go. I had secured a VS for this summer which I was so excited about. I didn't mention it on the forum as I didn't know how I would cope if I didn't convert. I have since had some seriously bad news concerning my health which has now put it all in jeopardy. And of course Covid19 adds to my and everyone's anxieties.

I want to wish you all good luck as I may be silent for a while. Tomorrow I start chemotherapy. I will watch your progress from the sidelines and hope one day to join you again here. Take care and stay safe.

So sorry to hear this Helena. Sending you positive thoughts, and hope you get through this :)

D95

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 17, 2019
    Hi All,

I feel the exact same and, to be honest, I'm kind of relieved that I am not the only one. Seemingly I have more time on my hands, but this is the first time in years when I don't care about getting a TC as much as I did before - really, all I care about right now is that my family and friends stay healthy and do not lose their jobs. Even when my spring VS was cancelled, instead of moaning about the lost chance, my reaction was more like: "Yeah, that's for the best, I'm glad I won't have to commute to the City now".

I am taking it day by day right now - whilst I am working from home (I appreciate the fact that I can do so!), my partner is a key worker and every time he leaves for work in the morning I am worried sick, especially seeing how many people are plain irresponsible and do not take extra precautions.

While I know I should be still making applications and do not lose sight of the future career-wise, it is hard to do it knowing what is going around at the moment and what a massive impact it already has had on our lives - and it is just a beginning here in the UK.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Shaz, JayB, jan28 and 4 others

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Guys is anyone available or willing to give my training contract a last read? I do not know ho many times I read it and it is killing my spirit.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My mood is all about the place at the moment.

One minute I feel very grateful for my own circumstances and feel energised by the thought on helping others and seeing the opportunity of having time to do things I haven't been able to do for a long time. The next minute I am freaking out about how quiet it is in London (I am completely used to noise/bustle/traffic/everything being open 24/7) and how despite being a very independent person (live on my own, work on my own etc), the ability to not have complete freedom to do what I want feels slightly suffocating.

If you are feeling demotivated and don't want to make application, don't beat yourself up about it - you are allowed to feel that way in these circumstances. Your decision not to make an application now will not affect your future - you literally have 45+ years of your working life in front of you and that will be influenced by many more matters than how you feel right now. If things come to you either a week, month or year later than you expect, I personally wouldn't worry about it - its better to make the right choices at the right time rather than the wrong choices right now.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Nick, E, Jean and 21 others

Charles

Distinguished Member
    Sep 25, 2019
    For those who applied for the Travers Smith Tc did any of you get an email phrased this way:

"Thank you for your application for a training contract.

Your application is important to us and we value your continued interest in the firm. Due, however, to the higher than normal acceptance rate of offers, we do not currently anticipate holding any more interviews between now and July

We will therefore be in touch regarding your application during August".

From my research TS are notoriously slow in sending out emails in regards to their schemes

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    I have just logged on to the Browne Jacobson application portal, literally about to submit my direct TC application, and it says the 'vacancy is closed', even though the deadline was not till the 1st April and I logged on yesterday and had no issues....is this the case for anyone else applying to Browne Jacobson for the direct TC? Please let me know if it is-I have put so much work into this application and am so gutted right now:(
    Hey! The same thing happened to my friend :( He was told by their recruitment team that they have brought forward the deadline :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ayo Babatunde

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    For those who applied for the Travers Smith Tc did any of you get an email phrased this way:

Your application is important to us and we value your continued interest in the firm. Due, however, to the higher than normal acceptance rate of offers, we do not currently anticipate holding any more interviews between now and July

From my research TS are notoriously slow in sending out emails in regards to their schemes

They fill up TCs from their VSs first. So they will wait until after the VSs to see if any places remain.

Reactions: Jade and Alison_a

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019

I did

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

Those of you who haven't seen our email today, we've decided to make our latest course free. The advice in this course is really good - Harry and Gordon give a lot of actionable advice.

I've made a post about it here and you can enrol here.

Last edited:

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Jaysen knows how important this forum has been to me. I want to say a big thank you to everyone on TCLA. It's been a lifeline. I have had my trials and tribulations, as we all have, with trying to get a TC and have come close a few times, learning and developing as I go. I had secured a VS for this summer which I was so excited about. I didn't mention it on the forum as I didn't know how I would cope if I didn't convert. I have since had some seriously bad news concerning my health which has now put it all in jeopardy. And of course Covid19 adds to my and everyone's anxieties.

I want to wish you all good luck as I may be silent for a while. Tomorrow I start chemotherapy. I will watch your progress from the sidelines and hope one day to join you again here. Take care and stay safe.

Helena,

Wishing you all the very best. Thank you for your invaluable advice and insights in the forums. Hoping everything works out for you. Please stay safe <3

• 🤝
    Reactions: TLC20
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.