General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
yes of course but beware that articles usually published by law firms aren’t really for dummies and sometimes are incredibly boring. Judge me. I’ve always tried having common knowledge about various subjects because you have your own opinions which help you understand the topics better; this helped me further, including in securing VS interviews, getting a VS, and in daily interactions with professionals.

I’ve always said that being able to speak with someone who’s doing economics (and knows what it is) is helpful. They have a broader perspective than social sciences students as they have to understand the mechanisms driving our society in order to do well-researched assessments. Literally reach out to a student and talk about stuff or to a friend who’s abreast of recent developments. This corona drama is incredibly useful as a case study. If you comprehend what’s going on, you’ll do great, not good.

People use sexy terms to sound smart. Commercial awareness is basically how commercial events impact businesses and how law firms will advise their clients asking for help; in that process, people gotta know why & how law firms reach their decisions. I was stupidly trying to memorise posh terms, but it proved out that I lost so much time. Had you asked me what the core issue was, I couldn’t describe it in simple terms. Don’t make this mistake like I did or others are doing without realising. I can send you some resources if you wish which will make your life easier. Pm and happy to help :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JayB

csyn

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
sorry if this such a newbie question but are white & case more open to hiring from summer TC applications than the general trend of firms increasingly hiring exclusively from vs?

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi all following my recent rejection, I'm looking into other firms to apply to. Norton Rose Fulbright has been one of my top options, but I seemed to have missed the graduates/finalists deadline, would it still be possible to apply before the deadline for penultimate students?

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hi all following my recent rejection, I'm looking into other firms to apply to. Norton Rose Fulbright has been one of my top options, but I seemed to have missed the graduates/finalists deadline, would it still be possible to apply before the deadline for penultimate students?

Sorry. I also didn't get an AC invite for Baker.
I don't know about Norton, what about other US firms?

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
Sorry. I also didn't get an AC invite for Baker.
I don't know about Norton, what about other US firms?

I’m looking into US firms too, but I was more so curious of the general stance on this. Are finalists only allowed to apply for the finalists deadline or can they still apply to meet the deadline for penultimate students? A lot of the firms I’m interested in I’ve already missed the deadline for finalists

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
I’m looking into US firms too, but I was more so curious of the general stance on this. Are finalists only allowed to apply for the finalists deadline or can they still apply to meet the deadline for penultimate students? A lot of the firms I’m interested in I’ve already missed the deadline for finalists

There's no harm in contacting these firms directly (the situation may be slightly different due to coronavirus perhaps?) BUT these deadlines are for a reason and when it comes to Norton specifically, my friend was rejected straightaway because she applied during the application window for penultimate students when she was already a postgrad - they encouraged her to apply in the next cycle, though.

amb98

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2020
Does anyone know whether white and case and Latham and Watkins hire from direct TCs much?

Compared to other US firms (that hire exclusively from VSs) I would say they do. But compared to non US firms they have more of a tendency to recruit from vac schemes.

Interestingly, Latham had recently advertised a TC for 2020 start.

Sidley is another firm I’ve seen currently recruiting for a 2020 TC so maybe they also take direct TC applicants (not sure if open atm though).

Reactions: Zoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

if it says there’s a deadline for a certain year group, there’s a reason and you need to keep to it

Reactions: thecorporatelawyer

edj

Feb 24, 2020
Compared to other US firms (that hire exclusively from VSs) I would say they do. But compared to non US firms they have more of a tendency to recruit from vac schemes.

Sidley is another firm I’ve seen currently recruiting for a 2020 TC so maybe they also take direct TC applicants (not sure if open atm though).

Hey where did you see those advertisements? On those firms' careers websites or somewhere else? :)

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020

wow this made me feel a lot better, I’m assuming you would have had to done your LPC already though to apply for a 2020 training contract?

Reactions: amb98
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.