General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb98

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2020
wow this made me feel a lot better, I’m assuming you would have had to done your LPC already though to apply for a 2020 training contract?

Also quite interesting to see firms recruiting additional trainees at a time when others are cutting down on numbers/delaying start dates due to a lack of work for trainees.

Or perhaps some people may have reneged their contracts so they’ve had to recruit this late on @Jessica Booker which would you say it is?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Also quite interesting to see firms recruiting additional trainees at a time when others are cutting down on numbers/delaying start dates due to a lack of work for trainees.

Or perhaps some people may have reneged their contracts so they’ve had to recruit this late on @Jessica Booker which would you say it is?

I suspect neither.

Unlikely to be reneges this late in the game. More likely people deferring due to personal reasons or failing law school.

Reactions: amb98

Mia97

Jul 16, 2019
Does anyone know whether white and case and Latham and Watkins hire from direct TCs much?

My friend received a TC offer from Latham last September after direct TC. So they definitely do. Believe W&C also offer fill 30% of their spaces with direct apps, according to chamber student.

Other firms the odds aren’t so great. For instance, I know Gibson reserves one space for direct and so does Skadden.

But overall I don’t think firms would bother open direct Tc apps if they didn’t hire from them.

• 🤝
Reactions: RS Sinatra

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
I’m looking into US firms too, but I was more so curious of the general stance on this. Are finalists only allowed to apply for the finalists deadline or can they still apply to meet the deadline for penultimate students? A lot of the firms I’m interested in I’ve already missed the deadline for finalists
I believe the answers other handles have given covers your question. If u look at the firm's website you intend to apply for - the faq page - they may also state whether they recruit solely from vs

Last edited:

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    My friend received a TC offer from Latham last September after direct TC. So they definitely do. Believe W&C also offer fill 30% of their spaces with direct apps, according to chamber student.

Other firms the odds aren’t so great. For instance, I know Gibson reserves one space for direct and so does Skadden.

But overall I don’t think firms would bother open direct Tc apps if they didn’t hire from them.
    Thank you!! this makes a lot of sense and is incredibly reassuring, thank you

Reactions: Mia97

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    True but I know a lot of firms that have a strong preference to those that do a VS and I would like to try my best to avoid applying to those so I don't waste more time.

pretty much every firm has a preference for vacation scheme students - if they didn’t, they wouldn’t run their vacation schemes.

look at the ratio of vacation scheme places to training contracts.

Unless the vacation scheme numbers are over 130% of the training contract numbers, there’s a decent chance for any direct TC applicant. Obviously the lower the percentage then there’s probably more chance.

This isn’t exact science/protocol for every firm but will give you some general indication

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.