Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

I hope everyone is safe and well and coping okay with the circumstances of COVID-19! Fingers crossed we're not too far away from restrictions being lifted a little more!

Apologies for my inactivity over the last few months - I was just finishing my dissertation and sending in my last ever university essays (still a very weird sentence for me to type) the last of which I submitted on Friday so I am officially all done! :D

Obviously now I have a lot of free time on my hands before I start my vacation scheme with Gibson Dunn and so the main reason for this post is to felt that I'd offer to help anyone with any burning questions or issues they may have, be it about applications or commercial awareness or a combination of the two!

I've got a few ideas of how I'm going to be preparing for my upcoming scheme and would be happy to share any tips based on my experience at Weil last summer and my successes this cycle (particularly with US firms) if that'd be of interest to people? Let me know :)

Thanks guys and all the best with your applications and any university/law school exams you may have left!

Dan :)

EDIT: I am delighted to announce that I have taken on a more formal role with TCLA but now ask that if you have a question to please post it somewhere in the forum and then I will answer so everyone can benefit in case they have the same questions :)

Last edited:

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

I hope everyone is safe and well and coping okay with the circumstances of COVID-19! Fingers crossed we're not too far away from restrictions being lifted a little more!

Apologies for my inactivity over the last few months - I was just finishing my dissertation and sending in my last ever university essays (still a very weird sentence for me to type) the last of which I submitted on Friday so I am officially all done! :D

Obviously now I have a lot of free time on my hands before I start my vacation scheme with Gibson Dunn and so the main reason for this post is to felt that I'd offer to help anyone with any burning questions or issues they may have, be it about applications or commercial awareness or a combination of the two!

I've got a few ideas of how I'm going to be preparing for my upcoming scheme and would be happy to share any tips based on my experience at Weil last summer and my successes this cycle (particularly with US firms) if that'd be of interest to people? Let me know :)

If anyone wishes to drop me a message privately then please feel free and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can.

Thanks guys and all the best with your applications and any university/law school exams you may have left!

This is so nice. I am going to annoy you later for an advice.
    By the way, I am really enjoying the PE course on Coursera.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hi guys,

EDIT: I am delighted to announce that I have taken on a more formal role with TCLA but now ask that if you have a question to please post it somewhere in the forum and then I will answer so everyone can benefit in case they have the same questions :)

Thanks for such a kind post Daniel - would you be able to shed some light on your commercial awareness strategy please? I'm staying on top of the news and have a good grasp of commercial news but still find the case study still challenging :/

Thanks!

• 🤝

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thanks for such a kind post Daniel - would you be able to shed some light on your commercial awareness strategy please? I'm staying on top of the news and have a good grasp of commercial news but still find the case study still challenging :/

Thanks!
    Of course! I'll post about that today in the new thread that myself and Alice have created :)

Which sort of case study do you mean if you don't mind me asking?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    • 🏆
    Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Hi guys,

Congratulations on finishing your final assignments!
    Some tips about prepping for vacation schemes, esp with Weil, would be great Thanks, Daniel

• 🤝

sp50

Sep 5, 2019
    Has anyone else had this experience with Stephenson Harwood? I applied for a winter vac scheme, interviewed in October, got a reply saying they filled up spaces for winter scheme but they would still like to consider me for summer. 6 months later they rejected me for summer scheme but say they still want to consider me for a TC and will update me after the TC deadline. I'm glad they're still considering me but I'm worried I won't get asked to do an AC as I've heard other direct TC applicants are being invited to one. Do you think this is a lost cause for me?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Has anyone else had this experience with Stephenson Harwood? I applied for a winter vac scheme, interviewed in October, got a reply saying they filled up spaces for winter scheme but they would still like to consider me for summer. 6 months later they rejected me for summer scheme but say they still want to consider me for a TC and will update me after the TC deadline. I'm glad they're still considering me but I'm worried I won't get asked to do an AC as I've heard other direct TC applicants are being invited to one. Do you think this is a lost cause for me?
    I wouldn't say it is a lost cause at all. I appreciate how you feel though, entirely. I would say just try to sit tight, as annoying as that advice is as I know it is so hard, but just try to focus on other apps and opportunities and see what they have to say when the time comes. I suppose there would be no harm in asking for an update further into summer if you have still yet to hear.

Reactions: sp50

ZA

Dec 30, 2018
    Anyone who applied to DAC Beachcroft, I heard today after doing the video interview more than 6 weeks ago. They're doing virtual AC end of July and then a virtual vac scheme (if you pass the AC) early-mid August! Good luck

Reactions: tcsearcher
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.