Yeh I got a rejection. I reckon it may have been filtered due to my first year grades because no one else seems to have heard and I applied on the deadlineAnyone heard from slaughters post direct TC app?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Yeh I got a rejection. I reckon it may have been filtered due to my first year grades because no one else seems to have heard and I applied on the deadlineAnyone heard from slaughters post direct TC app?
I still can’t believe that I’m typing this, but I’m so happy to have accepted a training contract at an international firm that feels so right for me! Admittedly, I don’t post much on here, though I do check the forum frequently so I want to share my story with you.
I graduated from a non-law background last summer and this was my first cycle of applications. This time last year I knew NOTHING about law. I started taking more of an interest in it as a career around October 2019. I travelled from my home town to my university to attend the law fair for the first time on my own (I had no clue what I was doing, it’s so embarrassing to think about!). I sent off a few applications for insight days - I was rejected by all of them but one. At the beginning of November, I sent off my first vac scheme application, which of course flopped because I was still getting to grips with how this industry works and what lawyers even do! Eventually I somehow managed to secure four vac scheme interviews, was successful in one of them, and was then recently offered a TC by the firm.
Whilst I worked incredibly hard to get here - spending time self-reflecting on my skills and increasing my commercial awareness, it wouldn’t have been possible at all without this community. You guys have made me feel so much less alone in this process, and the support you provide to others is invaluable. I’m heavily indebted to TCLA. @Jaysen, thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating this platform, and thank you to all the amazing people who contribute and make it what it is. Without you guys I wouldn’t be here. I wish you all the best; I know you will all eventually get the dream jobs you’re working towards and truly deserve xx
How does a group exercise work via video though?AC's have changed for this cycle, they have removed the drafting and replaced it with a mark-up exercise. You still have a case study and presentation, group negotiation and then interview.
Was wondering if anyone has heard back from Morgan Lewis post-telephone interview? Thanks![]()
Yeah that sounds about right, I was told the next stage would then be in early August.Hey! I haven’t but after my interview Grad Rec said end of this week / beginning of the next - so we might just have to wait! Hope your interview went well![]()
How does a group exercise work via video though?
Does anyone have any tips on how to answer situational questions regarding ethics?
E.g. you are on a train and the person opposite you is reading confidential information about your case, which you can also read.
Is there a general rule of thumb when approaching such ethical scenarios?
Thanks!
Ethics is always about doing the right thing.
I would suggest that it’s that you stop the situation from happening (eg removing yourself from the situation and/or telling the person to stop reading) and any form of disclosure to relevant parties on information that you have seen, depending on the specific wording of the question and the answers you are presented with.
Huge congratulations to you and what a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing your journeyI still can’t believe that I’m typing this, but I’m so happy to have accepted a training contract at an international firm that feels so right for me! Admittedly, I don’t post much on here, though I do check the forum frequently so I want to share my story with you.
I graduated from a non-law background last summer and this was my first cycle of applications. This time last year I knew NOTHING about law. I started taking more of an interest in it as a career around October 2019. I travelled from my home town to my university to attend the law fair for the first time on my own (I had no clue what I was doing, it’s so embarrassing to think about!). I sent off a few applications for insight days - I was rejected by all of them but one. At the beginning of November, I sent off my first vac scheme application, which of course flopped because I was still getting to grips with how this industry works and what lawyers even do! Eventually I somehow managed to secure four vac scheme interviews, was successful in one of them, and was then recently offered a TC by the firm.
Whilst I worked incredibly hard to get here - spending time self-reflecting on my skills and increasing my commercial awareness, it wouldn’t have been possible at all without this community. You guys have made me feel so much less alone in this process, and the support you provide to others is invaluable. I’m heavily indebted to TCLA. @Jaysen, thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating this platform, and thank you to all the amazing people who contribute and make it what it is. Without you guys I wouldn’t be here. I wish you all the best; I know you will all eventually get the dream jobs you’re working towards and truly deserve xx
Such a great quote!! A lovely and uplifting message to read on a Saturday afternoon- thank youTo encourage others. My child has been applying since 2nd year at Uni. Graduated last year (1st Non Law)
Secured 2 VSs with good firms.
Did not convert either but thought the 2nd one was a dead certainty.
Second one was before Christmas requiring 2 weeks out of GDL.
Cried for 4 weeks (over Christmas)
Wanted to give up
Picked themselves up
Started applying again alongside GDL
Secured a direct TC with an MC firm in March
BUT still continuing to get mixed responses in applications still in progress eg rejected by Macfarlanes on application.
I’m posting this to try and encourage you guys still going through it. Quite a bit seems to be luck, as Jesica posted, maybe the sifter was hungry when they looked at your application.
This is my favourite quote
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.
It matters that you don't just give up.”
Stephen Hawking. 1942-2018
When do you start your TC?Such a great quote!! A lovely and uplifting message to read on a Saturday afternoon- thank you![]()
Quite a bit seems to be luck, as Jesica posted, maybe the sifter was hungry when they looked at your application.
Congrats to your child! They have done so well. Thanks so much for this inspirationTo encourage others. My child has been applying since 2nd year at Uni. Graduated last year (1st Non Law)
Secured 2 VSs with good firms.
Did not convert either but thought the 2nd one was a dead certainty.
Second one was before Christmas requiring 2 weeks out of GDL.
Cried for 4 weeks (over Christmas)
Wanted to give up
Picked themselves up
Started applying again alongside GDL
Secured a direct TC with an MC firm in March
BUT still continuing to get mixed responses in applications still in progress eg rejected by Macfarlanes on application.
I’m posting this to try and encourage you guys still going through it. Quite a bit seems to be luck, as Jesica posted, maybe the sifter was hungry when they looked at your application.
This is my favourite quote
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.
It matters that you don't just give up.”
Stephen Hawking. 1942-2018
Hi! For a TC application, does anyone know if it’s sensible to put the legal cheek/bright network internship experiences as work experience? If not where do I include these? Thank you.
Right thank you! I’m thinking of grouping them all together because I did the IB one too . Thanks!Yes, you can include these. But if you have more interesting work experience with greater levels of responsibility, don’t leave these out for these virtual internships - especially given how many people have done them.
Right thank you! I’m thinking of grouping them all together because I did the IB one too . Thanks!
Thank you Jessica!!Congratulations!
it it so great to hear stories like this.