Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you! Considering the situation, do you think it's wiser to apply for the 2022 app, or 2023? A&O only make you apply for a vacancy for TC once per 12 months, so it'll be super key to pick the more safer option(unless both are equally competitive?)

Thanks for explaining the vacancies thing!

I’d go with whatever is most suitable for you in terms of start date. The same standard will be applied to applications - I don’t think how many applications will really impact whether you got through for one but not the other.

• ℹ️
Reactions: dosblancos7

EA

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Earlier vacancies can happen all the time - it’s just less common for them to actively advertise it, but they may just be doing that to cover their backs, particularly with a new visa process coming in.

It doesn’t take much for earlier vacancies to happen. People failing then GDL/LPC (might be more relevant this year), people reneging offers (again might be more relevant if people are wondering if the U.K./London is really somewhere they want to be now), some people asking to defer for personal reasons (given Covid, again I would expect this), some people being brought forward from 2022 to 2021 because vacancies have happened to pop up in 2021 for the same reasons. All is it takes is one person to renege, one person to fail, another to be brought forward, and another to defer and nearly 10% of your intake is now spare and will need filling (for instance if they were all the March intake).

Please what is the new visa process coming in?

Andrewp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2019
If they are working with similar clients, yes. If they are not then less so[/QUOT

Working with a real mixed bag of clients, smaller SMEs but also PE firms. I guess could go to a larger UK/International firm and then US. My worry is if there is a potential issue about working/training at a boutique (which is international) and then not being able to move to a bigger international firm...

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Please what is the new visa process coming in?

With the transition to Brexit coming in on 1 January 2021, the process for Tier 2 is changing. Ultimately it will become easier to get a visa for most law firms, but given it is a new system, law firms are potentially covering their back just in case any curve balls come in.

As of July 2021 there will also be a post-study visa for those studying in the U.K. - although most firms won’t be able to apply this to training contracts though as it doesn’t quite cover the necessary period (given they only last two years, from the point your course ends, not when your job starts).

Reactions: DW

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

If you are not working with larger, international and complex businesses - this can be an issue. Working with SMEs will be exceptionally different to a FTSE 100 company. Working with PE houses that are only investing into smaller businesses will be very different to those who are investing into large established businesses.

It’s not necessarily very difficult - but your experience during a TC and as a NQ will define this much more than the firm. Sometimes people in niche firms get involved in matters that are in growing markets or fast moving sectors - this can then be attractive to larger firms who start to work on these matters as larger parties enter the market.

EA

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
With the transition to Brexit coming in on 1 January 2021, the process for Tier 2 is changing. Ultimately it will become easier to get a visa for most law firms, but given it is a new system, law firms are potentially covering their back just in case any curve balls come in.

As of July 2021 there will also be a post-study visa for those studying in the U.K. - although most firms won’t be able to apply this to training contracts though as it doesn’t quite cover the necessary period (given they only last two years, from the point your course ends, not when your job starts).
Thank you very much Jessica for the explanation.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Thanks. Not sure if this is good news for me or if they've just forgotten about me. I applied well before the deadline. Who knows. Sorry about your rejection - there will be others!
Well I only just found out and havent seen anyone else finding out before today so news news may be good news!

I've been rejected from every direct TC app I've made - definitely think the July window is harder than earlier in the year!

• 🤝
Reactions: anulciak7

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Well I only just found out and havent seen anyone else finding out before today so news news may be good news!

I've been rejected from every direct TC app I've made - definitely think the July window is harder than earlier in the year!
I definitely agree. I had much more luck applying in the Autumn/Winter but then Covid took away my Vacation Schemes. I'm the same candidate now but getting rejection after rejection so I think timing is important. Good luck though - if this cycle doesn't work out then next cycle will be our time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.