Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Although not all firms produce what’s considered a full annual report and put it on Companies House by the looks of it, even U.K. based firms.

An annual report is traditionally much more than just financial statements produced for companies house/the tax man. It typically lays out a lot more from a strategic business perspective. That is why they don’t have to be on Companies House.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hi, so are we saying Latham are only hiring from VS ? I'm not sure why these places have direct TC application forms then?

I would like to know this as well, also waiting to hear back post direct TC app. Best of luck :)

Like most big US firms, they recruit primarily from their VS. Direct TC applicants are simply used to back-fill what hasn't been filled from their VS candidates. For reference - They had about 30 VS candidates for around 12 TC spots.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Deleted member 5185

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Travers Smith and Hogan Lovells :)

you’ll find their basic annual reports in terms of financials on companies house potentially, if U.K. listed. But it might be the case that they don’t produce a typical annual report that is far more broad ranging/strategic like some other firms do.

Hogan Lovells are not just U.K. based - HQ in the US and London, so might not have to do any of the above anyway.

Why do you want their annual report? I suspect t other marketing/business development materials would be just as helpful if you are trying to work out more about the firm. It will be far more helpful than financials produced for companies house anyway.

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: nymi

nymi

Distinguished Member
Nov 21, 2019
you’ll find their basic annual reports in terms of financials on companies house potentially, if U.K. listed. But it might be the case that they don’t produce a typical annual report that is far more broad ranging/strategic like some other firms do.

Hogan Lovells are not just U.K. based - HQ in the US and London, so might not have to do any of the above anyway.

Why do you want their annual report? I suspect t other marketing/business development materials would be just as helpful if you are trying to work out more about the firm. It will be far more helpful than financials produced for companies house anyway.

Thank you for your response, Jessica.
I just want figure out by the annual review that in which area have they made the most profit and by how much percent their investment in technology has increased since the last year.

Andrewp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2019
Does this mean if I haven't heard back then I'll be rejected? Some rejections were posted a while ago. I haven't heard anything at all.
I am pretty sure not all of the ACs would have been sent out today. The way I see it is that if you had a first interview a while ago (in my case more than 5 months ago) surely that is ample time to reject you if that was the case...

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
I am pretty sure not all of the ACs would have been sent out today. The way I see it is that if you had a first interview a while ago (in my case more than 5 months ago) surely that is ample time to reject you if that was the case...
I didn't have an interview. I've had literal silence since my application was submitted. I even emailed to follow up a month ago and give them the grades from my summer exams and haven't had a response.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Did they respond to your email?
No. No response to anything. I've got confirmation that I've applied and Apply4Law clearly shows that I've applied but if people are being invited to the AC then that means they're at Stage 4 of the 5 stage application process and my application is still at Stage 1. If they want me at all then why not invite me for the Watson Glaser? If they don't want me at all then why not reject me like they've rejected loads of other people?
Is anyone else waiting to hear back from Dentons for their London office, direct to TC at the application stage?
@Jessica Booker Should I be concerned about this?

Andrewp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2019
No. No response to anything. I've got confirmation that I've applied and Apply4Law clearly shows that I've applied but if people are being invited to the AC then that means they're at Stage 4 of the 5 stage application process and my application is still at Stage 1. If they want me at all then why not invite me for the Watson Glaser? If they don't want me at all then why not reject me like they've rejected loads of other people?
What a mind boggle...

• Haha
Reactions: NadineBusty

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I'm pretty sure the L&W intake is nearer 25?

It's 24, however, they had already given 13 TC's out prior to our Spring/Summer combined VS. They likely over-offer to account for those who choose to not take the offer, as almost all the candidates had multiple TC offers on the scheme.

But yes, returning to the original point - Most of the big US firms operate like this. I had a friend at K&E last year and where were 30+ going for 10 TC's. The partner said that direct applications are only reviewed if we cannot fill from the VS.

So, if you are trying to get in to Latham, Kirkland, Skadden etc... get on the VS :)

Reactions: Deleted member 5185
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.